Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

LOL, I can understand what they're talking about, Part II

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Lord Chaos, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos IncGamers Member

LOL, I can understand what they're talking about, Part II

Damn, I upgraded my Barbarian.

He now wearing 2xCarrion, Sarrascen, Immortal king (Belt, Boots, Gloves), Duriels Shell armor (upgraded), Bonehew with 2 PSkulls in (for life/mana leech) and Arreats Face.

All his resists are 75%.

Ok, so still not über equipment....but ok, I give Hell Mode Act 4 a try with just ONE player in the game (the barb).

And what happens, I get my *** handed to me by the first pack of Doom knights I meet going down the stairs, despite trying all kinda of tactics.

OMG, sorry that 1K-4K damage whirls isn't über...but sheesh.

I am beginning to really understand why some people say some of the melee types are hopeless underpowered.

2. Insight

Insight IncGamers Member

what lvl is he? cause if he is lower then say, 83ish he has no business being there, esp. solo. Also melee has always demanded some DR equip to be mildly comfortable in hell. being in hell on hell level should be a bit hard right?

3. Lord Chaos

Considering I breezed through the place with level 70's caster characters who didn't even have all that great equipment.

This is just lame...and btw, levels doesn't make *that* big of a difference. (just FYI, he's level 80)

4. SuggestiveName

SuggestiveName IncGamers Member

Yeah, it's called Iron Maiden, and it basically spells the end of melee for many characters. WW barbs and zealots can't exactly stop their attack when they get cursed, and so: instant death. DR equipment doesn't effect IM at all.

So essentially avoid the Doom knights and Oblivion Knights. But then again, the chaos sanctuary and worldstone keep are totally full of them. So good luck getting a melee char, (esp in hardcore) to any high lvl.

5. alainpp66

alainpp66 IncGamers Member

Lvl80 FC WB, Ladder, Untwinked. (I did trade for him later with all the things he found)

Investment of 219 Str instead of the 80 or so I was planning since I found Medusa's Gaze and wanted to try it.

He has no Dr, his res is all Negative... has roughly 1.3K life (Very low). 40% Blocking but he survives and has reached A5 Hell.

No problems here. Just play smart. 1 opponent at a time. You can get through.

Consider picking up a Merc... they'll make your life much easier and give the monsters another target. Just because the ranged are overpowered doesn't mean melee is underpowered.

6. Lord Chaos

Erhm, there was no Oblivion Knights, it was just Doom Knights.

7. Lord Chaos

I have a merc...he gets creamed even with level 26 BO/Shout and he's max level, 75% all resistance, DR...I think he has about 3K HP and 8K Defense atm.

And I do try to take the groups on 1 at a time, but thats often very hard and very difficoult when you're a whirlbarb, since it will often whirl you far longer than expected and monsters are much faster than your whirl.

8. taranis28

taranis28 IncGamers Member

Think of it this way, even if you are a ww barb. you are a swiss army knife. if ww gets you killed break up the crowd, use leap attacks, concentrate, warcry, and berzerk. Even at low levels and prerequsite one pointers these skills make a barb viable.

9. rogier

rogier IncGamers Member

also consider resocketing bonehew...put 2 shaels in it..

10. Lord Chaos

What on earth would two Shaels help?

11. Lord Chaos

I use leap attack, concentration and berserk...and yes I use crowd control...and yes I use warcries (26 in BO, 26 in Shout, 1 in BC)

Took my Zealot to act 4 Hell mode...he Soloed 2 whole groups of uniques without moving, and one was even lightning enhanced....and he also has only medium level equipment.

Kinda sad for barbs.

12. alainpp66

alainpp66 IncGamers Member

What would Shaels help with?? How about hitting??

You reach the first WW bp at this point... With 10% more IAS you'd reach the 2nd, and with 40%more, the Last WW bp.

If you've ever experienced a last bp, you'd know exactly what on earth it helps. It could result in more than double the hits in 1 Whirl.

WW barbs don't just rely on Damage, Speed is a HUGE asset.

Just as it should be, it takes a certain level of character knowledge to advance past a certain point with melee chars. You can't always just toss top of the line gear on one.

13. Lord Chaos

You are right, it does give the last bp...but you know what, it didn't make any difference in the game and it still didn't improve survivability by much.

And it certainly doesn't change that there's a redicilously big gap between character classes.

I'd rather have it approximatly equally hard for all classes, than some classes that can breeze through the game without even bothering to know about advanced rules (ie. not being able to finish the game without reading other sites...thats like playing a game you cannot complete without reading the walkthrough), while other classes are redicilously weak.

Heck, I am beginning to agree with the guy I traded with, he's relegated his barbarian to simply stand around town and come in to give warcries every now and then.

14. puckalicious

puckalicious IncGamers Member

Replace that crappy bonehew with an IK maul with 2 shaels and you'll sing a different tune. Strap on IK armor and you will be happy!

15. Lord Chaos

Perhaps...lets see.

16. Origin

Origin IncGamers Member

disregard.... stupid forums..

17. Origin

Origin IncGamers Member

Use Warcry? Howl? Taunt?

Just going in there and swinging your weapon around doesnt work.. wouldnt be much fun if it did..

18. Lord Chaos

Lots of fun with other chars, heh.

19. tl998

tl998 Banned

Use better strategy then. Your strategy is probably outdated 1.09 strategy. I personally use Howl a lot. Also Grim ward helps when you want to isolate that champion from hsi pack. I'm a conc barb, so I have to deal with one thing at time throughout all of the game. THAT has definitely taught me strategy on how to divide and conquer.

Oh yeah: Taunt is king.

20. Origin

Origin IncGamers Member

Not really right?
    See what you should complain about is the boringness of the caster chars not the hardness of playing melee chars :)

Im playing an LF zon now and it bores me to death.. one shot and everything on your screen dies in the agonizing pains caused by 2 billion lightning damage.. my old conc barb is still fun to play tho :)