Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

LOD noob would like some questions answered!

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Milb, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

LOD noob would like some questions answered!

Hello there! :wave:

Well, after browsing through this forum and the stickies for a few weeks I decided to give classic a go, for the first time in what must be six years!

Anyways, I'm playing on HC, and each time I enter a new act I get nervous. I'm extremely comfortable playing the expansion, I know all my tactics, when to twink items on, what level I need to be to be safe in every area, but unfortunately, not much of this transfers over to Classic.

I've read Orphan's alvl guide, and I'm keeping comfortably ahead of the curve. I play SP, so did the first half of Act 1 on p8, which got me to about lvl 15 after Trist, at which point I dropped it down to 3 for comfort, which is where I've kept it until the point where I am now, RoF waypoint at lvl 28.

I understand that Act 1 Blood Moor in NM is an alvl 26 area. Are these mobs scaled down HP and damage wise to a lvl 26 mob? Or are they just lvl 26 with the stats of their LOD equivalent? Same question applies to the rest of the mobs in the game. If they are the same mobs like I fear, I think I'll need to spend a bit of time and gold grinding normal before I venture into NM.

I haven't been able to find a nice levelling guide in the stickies either, have come across a couple, which seem to say, 'find an enchanter' or 'get boosted to Hell CS and leech' which doesn't really help. Not that there is anything wrong with these, I've done it myself many a time in my Battle.net days, but are there any guidelines for the solo player, like lvl 30 NM, 60 Hell for instance?

Finally, it seems I'm rather reliant on Runeword weapons nowadays, any tips on coming across a nice WW weapon? I'm thinking a savage polearm from the cube might serve me well through NM, any advice on the cube recipes, which weapons and quality of gem can yield nice results?

Thanks in advance! Hopefully I'll have a nice new Baron(?) to report at some point in the future!

2. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

Re: LOD noob would like some questions answered!

weapon options are quite limited for barbs which is frustrating when untwinked. The easiest decent weapons to find are the unique mauls and great mauls.. still can take quite many boss runs to find either.

As for playing location, the level isnt so important as much as your stats. If life and resists allow, you would do best in the highest area you can get to(commonly nm cs, hell flayer, hell travi, hell cs).

3. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

Remember that in Classic, you hit the highest breakpoint(4fpa) with any weapon. So aside from the durability, even a lance is a viable option.

I would probably wait with selecting a mastery until you find 'your' weapon. The weapon you'll spend the rest of that barb's life with. :)
    As Zrk pointed out, Mace class is a very good choice for barbs, not only for their availability, but also because you get 1.1% damage extra per point in str, compared to 1% for other weapons.

4. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

Thanks for the responses.

I saw in the stickies that WW is always 4 frames, and that Martel's are the weapon of choice so that's what I'm aiming for. Currently, I'm Double Swing/Frenzy spec which has got me through past Diablo, so I'm just waiting for either a nice 2 hander to drop, or a nice source of mana leech which could sustain a few whirlwinds before I respec.

Got a pleasant surprise going from normal to NM, the resistance penalty is nowhere near as harsh as I thought it would be, have managed to keep Fire and Light res maxed for the time being.

Might try and farm Andy for a Bonesnap, we shall see how nasty she is though first ;)

Edit: Well, I decided to buy a Great Maul from Halbu in normal and reroll it a couple of times, I ended up with:

Jagged Great Maul of Frost
    Two-Hand Damage: 45 to 69
    Durability: 22 of 60
    Required Strength: 99
    Required Level: 12
    Mace Class - Slow Attack Speed
    Item Version: 1.10+ Standard
    Item Level: 25
    Fingerprint: 0xc6e34902
    +20% Enhanced Damage
    +1 cold damage over 2 seconds
    6% Life stolen per hit
    4% Mana stolen per hit
    150% Damage to Undead
    Socketed (2: 2 used)

Nowhere near as good as it could be but I've just cleared out normal CS about 10 times faster than before my respec, and I'm not even exaggerating!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  5. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

Actually ww is a 1 frame attack... At least according to my testing(weapon lost durability 4 times faster than in expansion).

Dont get hopes too high on getting good martel, the high ed mods are quite high alvl and martel high qlvl so you need to be deep in hell to get a decent one(or very lucky with dual lower alvl mods). Hell cs and cow lvl in fact is the only place that can drop the top end(kings and merciless) martels.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  6. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

I read somewhere that WW might be 1 fpa, I haven't tried my LOD WW'er to see if there's a noticeable difference.

I saw a thread saying that good Martels only drop in the CS, I was sceptical about it thinking it was just anecdotal but I checked the affix levels and some calculators and saw it was the case.

My plan is to save 3 Martels until I'm in the 60s / 70s, imbue them and hope for the best.

I'm in the process of trying to find some resistance gear before I head off into Hell, but I have a new weapon ready to go:

Soldier's Martel de Fer
    Two-Hand Damage: 91 to 148
    Durability: 60 of 60
    Required Strength: 169
    Required Level: 25
    Mace Class - Slow Attack Speed
    Item Version: 1.10+ Standard
    Item Level: 30
    Fingerprint: 0x2165bf65
    +50% Enhanced Damage
    +68 to Attack Rating
    8% Life stolen per hit
    6% Mana stolen per hit
    150% Damage to Undead
    Socketed (2: 2 used)

7. Lorg

Lorg IncGamers Member

Imbue one of them @ 60's if u really need to. Save the other two until 74+ as imbue gets +4 to char level and max ed needs 78 char / monster level on marts. Don't get your hopes up though. Chances are pretty slim :scratchchin:

Btw, hell travi can also drop those goodies as they are hard coded for 78 lvl = its good enough to drop them. I think there was a thread of this long ago and IIRC Orphan verified that they indeed special in that sense. Maybe he's still around and warlock can pm him for vouch :yes:

8. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

I used my first imbue @69, which if my calculations are correct lets me get a 180ed max weapon, as opposed to 200ed from an ilvl 78 one.

I actually finished the character last night, where I realised you get a King and not a Baron!

Made a thread over in the SPF with his gear, skills and a few thoughts about Classic.

If you fancy a read the thread is here.

Just want to say thanks to the Classic forum for the cracking stickies, some really nice information in there and it helped me a ton :)

Cheers,
    Milb :)