Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Lobby System: Has it killed D2 Socialization?

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by mali, Feb 7, 2004.

1. mali

mali IncGamers Member

Lobby System: Has it killed D2 Socialization?

I hate it. I think it's one of the worst innovations they've come up with. In my opinion, I think it's killed a lot of the 'socialization' that used to occur naturally in bnet.
    Your opinion?

2. Mcsaladshaker

Mcsaladshaker IncGamers Member

i absolutely HATE IT as well

3. BreakThruX

BreakThruX IncGamers Member

It is to keep people from overflowing the channels for no reason, but yes it is very iritating.

4. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

Most annoying thing ever, totally screwed the great team spirit we had in GAT channel for example before 1.10.

The question is why did they do it? To save bandwidth, to save server capacity, I don't know. If someone knows, please tell us!

But I much rather have the channel and be 500:th in line when I create a game than have the lobby and always be first in line when I create a game.

Online games are supposed to be a social activity, and they they impose the lobby upon us. The nr 1 obstacle to meet and hang out with friends, even though you don't play in the same games.

/Magnus

5. doubleOObubble

doubleOObubble IncGamers Member

I think it stinks too. I think they could at least have made some sort of compromise... Like, sure, everyone who enters b-net end up in the lobby. But for those who actually chose a channel efter that - why couldn't they go BACK to that channel after every game? 90% of the players are running solo MF runs all day anyway, so they would mean no problem. But for those who actually wanted some team meeting place??

It blows.

6. Baranor

Baranor IncGamers Member

It stinks too. It spoiled a lot of my fun.

7. WingBlade

WingBlade IncGamers Member

They really should get rid of the "lobby"... when your in the lobby u can't respond to msg.

Ya, it's only 1 click away to join into a sc chan... but then u have to type /join whateverchanneluwishtobein........ really irritating.

8. Spero

Spero IncGamers Member

Great thread topic! I really hope Blizzard reads it.

I agree completely. The new system is the worst ever. I loved the old way, even if I was mfing solo, I could chat between games. Now I feel much more isolated, only the people on my flist are in a discussion. Perhaps Blizz should put a button in, so people can choose where they will be dumped between games. I'm betting almost everyone would choose a channel, though.

I think that this change is probably one major reason for the declining population on bnet, the other being that rushes are more difficult.

9. GrnEggsNHam

GrnEggsNHam IncGamers Member

This lobby has reduced Gat and I am sure many other channels to an AFK babysiting service. I don't get to say odd and strange things in between my games now :(.

10. DK7

DK7 IncGamers Member

I for one love it, and if it wasn't for the new wave of spambots, I'd say it was created to get rid of people whining about spambots and blizzard almost succeeded. Unfortunately, they failed because now spambots enter games :/

11. Rava

Rava IncGamers Member

from the horse's mouth...

the main reason behind the Lobby was cost reduction/ saving bandwidth, and apparently it's been a success.

Great for them .. sucky for us.

12. YouHaveMail

YouHaveMail IncGamers Member

I like free services. quit bitching.

13. mali

mali IncGamers Member

hehe - but it was free before too... and remember: Guildwars will be free as well ;)
    Just that since the lobby, many of the more social aspects of D2 have died...
    And that was one of the main reasons I played.

14. eurymone

eurymone IncGamers Member

Well, i see your chat experiences must have been good, maybe it depends on country (sure it does:p)
    Me - I feel so relieved from that constant flaming between 15 year olds, all seeming to have some mental problem. This forum was a big relief for me, I realy hated being automatically on the channel.
    But sure, if the channels were at least 1/100 as polite as here, I'd love them

15. helohi

helohi IncGamers Member

I think I read somewhere that Blizz officially made the lobby system to save people from all the homophobic, rascist, etc. crap you'll find plenty of in most public channels, but why you are forced back to the lobby every time you leave a game instead of going back to the channel you were in seems rather unprofessional to me.

Oh ya I HATE the lobby! :rant:

16. Jedi

Jedi IncGamers Member

i believe there is at least a minority that quitted because of all the problems it causes for the players too. (cant whisper,community channels,etc.)

-> form of saving bandwidth and cost reduction ;)

not that its only the lobby that annoys me personal. i have to deal with the german version of d2 in 1.10

games of my f list friends are displayed like this:
    your friend player x plays d2 in game ARGERROR

...nice if they ALL would be in this game.its a beautyfull wordplay all german version players have there... arg-er-rors

and PLZ BLIZZARD correct the bug that causes german versions to crash when looking on items with aura-mod!

your programming skillz fan
    Jedi

17. cyradis2003

cyradis2003 IncGamers Member

All that rascist and homophobic nastiness seems to have gotten worse now though - maybe it is just because I never sat in one of the sarting channels before the lobby system came out and they took away my regular channel.

But I can say my old friend list would read like a ghost town now with all the people I know who just up and quit after the patch. (mostly it was a spurt of anger at th lobby system and now prolly embarassment to get back on after declarations of "I hate BNET I will never return *exit- cape swishing dramatically*')

18. Raven-Hood

Raven-Hood IncGamers Member

I think they did to get rid of spam but I mean come on, there are spam bots on the lose now, going everywhere, stopping people who to play from gettng into games. Who really cared about bots in the channels, not like they went into private channels. Either way, I like the lobby system because I got sick of being in a channel where people were being immautre and all the sudden a message from someone appears and disapears and I have no idea what they said or who said it. That was annoying.

Anyways, ask yourself is it that big a deal to just reenter a channel????

Raven-Hood

19. L33t.

L33t. IncGamers Member

Apparently d2loader will log you in the channel of your choice, but I don't use it.

20. mali

mali IncGamers Member

As you said yourself: the bots are FAR worse now, they enter games. So your argument's sorta self-defeating...
    Obviously you didn't dwell/hang out in a private channel. I did, and it was nice to be able to have a brief chat with people between mf runs...
    Do you mf? Would you like to re-enter channel XXX every time between runs? I don't think so. It's destroyed a lot of the socialization aspect of the game, and has encouraged the bots to actually enter games.

Total Crapola!