LLD/VLLD Questions

Trionth

Diabloii.Net Member
LLD/VLLD Questions

What are they LLD level ranges? (level xx - level 30)

Is VLLD just level 9?

Do Hel runes lower the required level of the item they're socketed in?

Is there a viable 'caster' build at level 9?

Thanks!

Queen Mebd

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: LLD/VLLD Questions

Going off memory on some of these so don't quote me; vlld is generally level nine (you'll occasionally see some level twelves). The next bracket is eighteen (sometimes referred to as mlld), and thirty is what's usually synonymous with lld.

I don't think there are many level nine casters - or casters in vlld in general - you'll usually see jabbers, tiger strikers and/or kickers, bash barbs, smiters or sacrifice paladins. You could potentially go up to level twelve for an ice sorc or maybe even firestorm/fissure druid (the latter might be doable at nine, not entirely sure). And it never hurts to ask beforehand if someone's ok with dueling a someone a few levels up.

Hope that all helps!

crawlingdeadman

Diabloii.Net Member

9-12
15*-18
21 **
27- 29 (30)***

*15 is a weird one. it's too good for 9-12, but most of them arent strong enough for vs.18's
** not many duel at 21, but there are some great 21 zealots.
*** 29 for Eu, 30 for the rest of the universe. weird Euro's... you know who you are!

Trionth

Diabloii.Net Member

So, I think I'll keep it to level 9. That gives me... 23 skill points to play with (14 from quests, 9 from levels)

I want him to be a caster though, like Queen Mebd suggested. What aobut level 9 Molten Boulder? Since most VLLD are Melee they won't be running around a bunch, they'll have to come right to me.

Level 9 molten boulder is 34-47 physical damage, 36-50 fire damage, and 90-94 fire damage per second (because of the flames it leaves behind) So... 160-191 damage per second (depending upon what kind of FCR I can get)

1 Firestorm
9 Molten Boulder
1 Raven
1 Creeper
6 Oak Sage
5 Summon Spirit Wolves

For equipment: find +mana, +FCR, and +FHR, Right?

Dunno much about LLD, but this seems viable :\

What do other builds do for damage? This would have 5 Spirit Wolves, and around 191 damage per second from molten boulder. Each Wolf would do... 7-10 damage (which isn't much, but it should help) If I could get some +skills gear it would be even better, but is +skills level 9 gear even possible?

Do Hel runes lower the required level? Then I can use some level 12 gear (level 13 gear comes in at 9.1 or something, so it probably rounds up)

EDIT: Theres a 2 second Casting delay on Molten Boulder. I can cast firestorm twice, then Molten Boulder once, and repeat; or Normal Attack in between casts.

Last edited:

crawlingdeadman

Diabloii.Net Member

- at level 9 you have 12 skills from quests (4 times 3 difficulties), 8 from levels (you dont have a skill at level 1).
- you will die
- +skills are available
- hel doesnt lower levels.

your pitiful damage will get laughed at by a ts sin doing 1k+ damage per 3 charges and around 900 life. if you give her wolves to charge up on, you're even easier to kill. there's a reason 90% of lvl 9-12 is melee, it's insanely hard to get a caster to do much damage.

Trionth

Diabloii.Net Member

You're so adamant that it will suck... Good thing I asked the experts, eh?

Clearly I suck at math.... 4x3 does not equal 14, and of course you don't get a level for 1... duh :\

So level 9 Druid caster is out... Maybe a level 9 necro... :scratchchin:

I'm not trying to be a pain, I just want to make something different for VLLD.

Last edited:

aivwaras

Diabloii.Net Member

You're so adamant that it will suck... Good thing I asked the experts, eh?

Clearly I suck at math.... 4x3 does not equal 14, and of course you don't get a level for 1... duh :\

So level 9 Druid caster is out... Maybe a level 9 necro... :scratchchin:

I'm not trying to be a pain, I just want to make something different for VLLD.
a necro might be viable. using bone armor for defense and amp damage for damage boost. Equipped with + max damage equipment and a cleg's sword or a scepter with sacrifice charges. :) It would be a melee necro though..

Trionth

Diabloii.Net Member
Does Weaken Work on other players?

If so, can you cast Weaken AND Amplify Damage on the same person, or the they overlap/cancel the other out?

So... Heres what I was thinking for a level 9 Necro:

Wtih 20 Points to spend:

9 - Bone Armor (100% damage shield)
6 - Amplify Damage (for 23 second duration)
5 - Weaken (23 second duration)

Then maybe use the full cleg's set? At least the sword and gloves. Then just find good stuff with required level 9.

Last edited by a moderator:

Verashiden

Diabloii.Net Member

Curses override each other with the most recently cast curse being the active one.

I have fond memories of my lvl 12 Feral Wolf ^_^.

Trionth

Diabloii.Net Member

Dang... So which would be better? Weaken or Amplify? I would assume Amplify. So I could max that to level 9 and have 2 points to stick somewhere...

crawlingdeadman

Diabloii.Net Member

i doubt you should max it. it'd be better to put points into bone armor's synergy, teeth (just a guess). alternately you could put points into summons, but then people would hate you more.

Trionth

Diabloii.Net Member

i doubt you should max it. it'd be better to put points into bone armor's synergy, teeth (just a guess). alternately you could put points into summons, but then people would hate you more.
Bone Armor gets synergy from Bone Wall and Bone Prison.

I don't want the summons to help charge up an assassin (like you mentioned earlier) So that leaves me with all those extra points with do real place to stick 'em...

Poison dagger, if I could find a good dagger maybe? I don't know.

Trionth

Diabloii.Net Member

Poison Dagger gives pretty good +% bonus to attack rating, so that would definently help. I would have to sacrfice damage and a bunch of socket possiblities to use a dagger though, right?

Also... I've got a collections of +12 and 15 (think its 12 and 15) life large charms with required level 9. I'm guessing those will be helpful?

Queen Mebd

Diabloii.Net Member

I may be able to provide a little guidance if you're thinking of a level nine necro. Sacrifice necros are actually pretty powerful if not somewhat badly mannered (depending if you count just charges, amping, bone armor recast should you choose to).

Skillwise I'd just max bone armor for the life padding, amp for duration, and probably dump the rest into golem should you ever want to use it. Shopping a temp war scepter with sacrifice charges shouldn't be too hard, for a solid one I want to say use either a level 92+ or 95+ character (can't remember which).

The rest of the gear could look something like this:
-mask stuffed with max jewels
-light plate full of maxers
-war scepter with sacrifice charges, a -req jewel could be nice in here
-Death's Gloves and Belt: have your cbf and ias covered (monkey around with some speed calcs; you might be able to use Bloodfists)
-Nagelrings make great temps for the ar and dr, stat/ar/rep life rares would be an upgrade
-stat/ar/rep rare amulet is probably the way to go
-Pelta or Umbral Disc: both have fbr, fhr/deflecting/sockets are possible mods on rares at that level too (bone shield ideally)
-Hotspurs: nice little life boost

Those 12 to 15 life large charms will suit you well. A good chunk of the starter gear shouldn't be too hard to turn up hopefully, and if you really enjoy him there's room for some upgrading. Hope that helps, it's been a while since I've had a sacri necro, if I think of anything else I'll just add it on to this.

edits ftw: I'll dig around for what mechanics are at play, but you don't normally take yourself out with sacrifice. You're right on about max jewels increasing maximum damage, 9 maxers are the staple for level nines, but they can go higher (check the LLD item guide in cdm's signature). Don't worry about getting gear with plus skills, just focus on things that'll help a melee character most. Trading is probably the most expedient way to come by a lot of it, and most of it ought to be gotten for pgems (save maybe jewels, nicer rares, and the scepter you'll need to shop (I think Malah is one, Drognan is nice if you get him near the town gate in hell, I know there's a shopping calc/table floating around the web)). I wouldn't go out of my way to find charms with elemental damage, if you really want to upgrade later maybe some life/ar large charms would probably be the better route to take. Low level duels will happen in normal too.

Last edited:

Trionth

Diabloii.Net Member
Who should I shop for a Sacrifice Scepter? Won't the 8% damamge to self take me out pretty quick?

Max Jewels = Jewels that increase Maximum damage (so long as they are level 9) what are the best?

Basically find the best level 9 gear I can and socket it with Max damage Jewels? I guess it gets trickey when you want to find 'Superior' stuff with +skills and other mods while still being level 9... Any tips on this? Run Normal Baal maybe?

What about Small charms that add +elemental damage? I can't imagine there are much in the way of resistances. Especially if you duel in Hell.

Last edited by a moderator:

Uncle_Mike

D2 PvP Moderator

What about Small charms that add +elemental damage? I can't imagine there are much in the way of resistances. Especially if you duel in Hell.
Sorry for OT: you need to stop double posting - it's frowned upon ;)

There is no timer for post editing so just add to your post instead of posting again - i'll merge the above two into one cute little post full of questions ;)

If you need any additional info/clarification just shoot me a PM.

BTW - you might want to read the LLD threads that are in the PVP guides thread. There's plenty of info there.

Trionth

Diabloii.Net Member

BTW - you might want to read the LLD threads that are in the PVP guides thread. There's plenty of info there.
I read the only VLLD thread in there, but I wasn't retaining much info. I was thinking Caster, but now that I'm thinking melee necro I've gone back and read it. It contains very helpful generic information, however:

(Sorceress and Necromancers are atypical for VLLDs, they are exotic and require some innovation to make successful. They will not be addressed in this guide, but feel free to ask around about ideas with them)
Having you, Crawlingdeadman, and Queen Mebd is very nice. 3 experts on subject will defienently get any questions I have answered correctly. I have a nack for finding the wrong information (refer to Kamekazedin/Martyrdin Guide)

I do appreciate all the help :thumbup: