Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

LLD tourney -- planning

Discussion in 'Classic' started by qPawn, Nov 12, 2006.

1. qPawn

qPawn IncGamers Member

LLD tourney -- planning

I'm thinking about holding a LLD tournament/event sometime in late December. I'm still working out some rules, but I want to get the word out now in case anyone wants to start building.

Here are some things that I've already decided on:

There will be no entry fee.

The tournament is for characters on USWest softcore ladder (classic).

To qualify, your character's level is to be no lower than eleven (11) and no higher than twenty-seven (27).

You may enter up to 5 different characters.

I'm not rich by any means, but I am giving away quite a few prizes for successful duelers. Top prizes include an soj, gull, hotspurs, blinkbat, etc. Almost every unique and set item can also be won. Godly rares? Not for a lld tournament, sorry. Of course, you don't HAVE to accept any prizes. I welcome anyone who wants to test their ideas and provide me entertainment.

One last thing to consider for people who are interested: There will be no potions allowed. This includes mana potions! You may disagree with me, but that's not going to change.

I'll add some more info (additional rules, prize list, etc.) as I sort them out. Any ideas are welcome.

2. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

just curious... how are you going to police the mana pot rule?

I can see someone dodging whilst they toss on frost burns, and a tri hat with skulls in it to regen mana...

3. ElDrunko

ElDrunko IncGamers Member

I'm in for sure. My LLD charger pretty much owns most chars 30 and under and I'm in the process of making a high level charger so I guess I an stop him at lvl 27 or so for a while for the tourny to be over.

4. qPawn

qPawn IncGamers Member

One of the rules for the tourney is that you will not be allowed to carry any items in your inventory. To make sure people aren't carrying anything, they will have to pass a "drug test." You will be instructed to pick up five 2x4 items and put 4 scrolls of identify in your belt. Once you have picked up all of these, the judge will kill your character... if anything pops out, it will become immediately apparent that you were packing.

Other things I'm thinking about are:

Talking to Charsi, Akara, or Gheed will result in disqualification. To avoid any suspicion, you are advised not to stand anywhere near them. Please repair your gear before you enter the game.

Between each round, the judge will provide you with a full rejuvenation potion. At this time, you may temporarily drop one of the items in your inventory in order to receive the potion. You must pick the item up again before resuming the match.

To check for horadric cubes (which could be used to dodge the drug test), you will probably have to pick one up and return it to the judge before you start. Obviously, if you already have one, you won't be able to pick it up.

Each duel will be a best out of 3 fight. You can keep utility items in your stash if you want to switch in between fights. If you switch items, you must undergo another "drug test" before resuming the match.

If you have any ideas or comments, I'd love to hear them.

5. ElDrunko

That's a pretty good idea but why not just let mana pots in? It would save the hassle of all the "drug testing" and it would be fair because everyone would be allowed to have them. Or you could do what we call it in hardcore, iron man duels. You create a new char, join a game with 7 other new chars and lvl up to 9. Once you hit 9, you go to town and wait there until everyone else is done. Then you duel. You can buy gear and everything, but you can not transfer gear into the game. Just a suggestion.

6. fledgeling

fledgeling IncGamers Member

there are few things you should consider

1) charge abuse
    everyone will build a charger
    ban them? or make no-charge tournament? (I think one more class might be overpowered)

2) different realms. how is one supposed to transfer stuff (diablo sucks...)

3) luck factor - in drops
    luck factor - while calculating damage

charger vs charger - if both are 2H might be 1hit kill vs 1hit kill...

anyway, good luck with the tourney

7. stevenluckymann

stevenluckymann IncGamers Member

5 characters? isnt that over doing it i think 2-3 max cause going through 5 chars for each person entered imo is not worth it.

8. danbus

danbus IncGamers Member

Love the idea, however my thoughts on 5 entries per person is a tad on the crazy side. In my mind a tourney like that would take too long. I know it's between 11-27, however FIVE chars per person is too time consuming.

I think the "no mana pots" idea should be thrown out. Sorcs for one are dependant on mana. Yeah, sure you can run around until your mana comes back, but who wants to wait around for that? I know I don't.
    Along with the "drug test", not even worth taking the time. Once again, it's too time consuming.

I agree that "chargers" are very powerful LLDs and thus should have their own bracket. Smiters too are very powerful, however it of course be up to you on how the rules and such work.

I also would like to add that certain items and skills shouldn't be used. Items like, clegs & generals or anything with open wounds or crushing blow, shouldnt be permitted. Also holy freeze, slow missle, and inner sight should not be allowed. My logic would be if they cannot be resisted, they should not be used.

Those are just my thoughts.

9. ElDrunko

I agree with everything Danbus said except that certain items/chargers/smites should be banned. There are many build you can use to get around the power of those characters and the items are what make LLD LLD.

10. qPawn

qPawn IncGamers Member

Hmm, I see that you people have given this some thought...

Let's start over from scratch with the rules. I haven't done anything like this before, you see. Let me explain something though.

The reason I do not like mana pots is because I was an avid dueler during patch 1.09. I don't know if you remember, but mana potions could not be purchased back then. As a result, we had to work around mana restrictions in our character stats as well as in the items. If you think chargers are too cheap, mana restrictions are a natural counter. How many charges do you think a charger can get on a base pool of mana?

Anyway, I personally believe that mana potting is just as bad as life potting. I guess some of you don't agree, but I respect your opinion. If anyone has any experience with holding/participating in a tournament, your thoughts would be appreciated. Comment away!

11. stevenluckymann

stevenluckymann IncGamers Member

i pretty much agree with every1else in that this is a great idea but im having some issues on how this is gonna be set up and overlooked. how r u gonna keep control over every1 the scores and wht not because if multiple people r joinnig such as myself then how u know where they r. one could go afk, another banned which could screw up ur bracket placement. could u tell me ur account name so we could discuss this furthur on bnet?

12. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

I agree with dan that this should be a no gear and no skills allowed, punch-only duel ! (/sarcasm)

Hailing from pre-1.1x myself, I do agree with all of the OP's original ideas. When I make a LLD I make him so I don't have to pot life, mana or those little viles or anti-freeze and anti-poison. A LLD should be able to win a duel without filling his belly with somebody else's juices.

I think you should hold your ground on this, qPawn, I mean, you ARE the one giving away the items, so why not do so by your rules. After all, they are not ridiculous rules and I'm sure everybody would like to ajust the rules to fit their dueler(s). Dan for instance doesn't have any CB, OW or slow on his dueler, so he would like things to be in his favor by denying others the option.

As for the hardcore Ironman tournament, why not just organise your own, the very idea of an Ironman is so fundamentally different from qPawn's original plan it lacks any relation to it.

I say, your items being given away == your tournament == your rules.

13. quadeddie

quadeddie IncGamers Member

I'll do it if you don't mind my lvl 67 sorc joining for a moment and then leaving. :wink3:

I have a conspiracy theory: the organizer of this tourney must have stock in the sigs/angelics factory.

The iron man idea sounds really cool. Invite superdave.

14. goomba

goomba IncGamers Member

may as well invite a maxed shout/bo barbarian too ;)

15. danbus

danbus IncGamers Member

Incorrect. In the act of balance, certain items shouldn't be allowed. Seeing as those item cannot be prevented in anyway, why should it be allowed?

With the given rules, it should cater to your views and your vision, however, you cannot hold a tourney if no one enters. I believe you should take some polls to see what people would like in a LLD tourney and add some ideas of your own.

Ultimately it's your call.

16. Locke07

Locke07 IncGamers Member

Just because you couldn't buy them didn't mean they didn't use them and also I believe mana leach was quite common back then so any mele duler would be able to leach mana anyway.... but I do agree that that would be a great way to hurt a charger...but at the same time I doubt you will be seeingany Fire ball Sorc's joining either...and a lvl 27 fire ball sorc would be a fun fun fun character to play....

17. JudasXPriest

JudasXPriest IncGamers Member

18. Locke07

Locke07 IncGamers Member

19. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

20. Locke07

Locke07 IncGamers Member