Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

LK runs, high rune hunting

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Raad, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Raad

Raad Diabloii.Net Member

Hello everyone, I was wondering if someone could help me with this: I have recently been running LK doing the whole super/special chest popping with 3x campfires etc. on players 8, in the hopes of finding a high rune. I have trawled a bunch of threads looking to find information on LK, specifically post 1.13 and its rune drops, but the info seems out of date or not updated and slightly confusing. I currently play 1.14d, so I was hoping someone could help me with a few questions:

* Are rune drop rates better/the same/worse in 1.14 (assuming that the drop rates are the same between 1.13 and 1.14) for running LK chests?

* As far as /players go, I have had a look at the drop patterns and 3-4 seems ideal for high rune drops as that seems to have the patterns while not being tediously loaded with gold/items to sort through, while 8 will likely yield more charms, gems etc. is this still true?

* Although I understand that it is a much better idea to run with a tele char, I do not and am happy to continue to do so knowing full well the inefficiency of this, in relation to this, is LK still the best spot for HRs? Or is it a better idea to do something else for HRs if you do not have a tele char? (90 fishymancer here)

Thanks again for your time in helping me!

2. Raad

Raad Diabloii.Net Member

Just a post to update this: I have found the answers for these questions through play/research and if anybody in the future wants to know:

* There are significantly more drop patterns for various runes up to ber in 1.14/1.13 from my limited understanding in LK special chests, there are no differences from 1.13/1.14 that I have been told about

* While not really 100% from this, I have had much more luck in players 8 as a non-tele necro, I had 3(!!) high runes (Vex, Lo, Sur) drop from poppables (logs, bodies, corpses etc.) alone, and I am under the assumption that these are indeed affected by high /players; I generally just pop the ones on my route that I can see, even if I have to go a little way out to get them

* I have only run LK for high runes and it has paid off pretty well with a shiny enigma and fortitude in a few days of non-tele farming, although to be fair I got lucky with a Jah drop from Baal which made things easier, I can still see LK being quite awesome for farming HRs from my limited experience, although someone who has done other stuff can clarify this

Hope this helps for anyone in the future that was pondering these same questions.

3. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

A few random thoughts:

Rune drops were improved in 1.13, but not in 1.14, although the issue about the new storage place for single-player characters might be an issue for those playing on old patch levels. See the single-player forum for details.

A fishymancer is a summon necro who has crushing blow gear (and a quick weapon in the weapon switch) in order to kill act bosses more quickly. That equipment is pretty useless in LK, so I would put it away and wear something else there.

You pointed it out yourself: A teleporter is obviously the quickest in LK. A blizzard sorc with mediocre gear can do it with ease on the highest /player setting (even players with bad reflexes like me :)), so doing that won't cost you many resources. The merc is good enough to keep the monsters busy (the huts with the superchests have just one entrance) and killing power is not necessary while the sorc is busy with looting. She has to intervene in extreme situations only.

LK running has probably the best HR-per-time ratio, but it's also tedious and the superchests don't produce unique or set items. I'm running out of patience there rather quickly.

/p7 will produce as many drops as /p8, they only increase on odd /p numbers.

MF has no influence on superchests, but GF has. That might be not that important, but I'm often picking up gold when there are too many drops to see them all at once.

It can also be nice if one of the racks near the superchests produces a good base item. I have a map with two campfires being halfway close together and one of the racks producing ceremonial javelins rather often. I had three Titan's so far, but no luck regarding etherealness.

4. Raad

Raad Diabloii.Net Member

Just to add since I do not think I said this earlier: I do not use the crushing blow stuff on my fishymancer, in fact the 1.13 version of Nightfish's guide specifically mentions stacking CB on your merc as being way more efficient and easier than having CB on your switch/extra for bosses, and this is what I initially did and (kind of) still do. In practice this just means he has a 40% CB obedience which is his standard weapon anyways so for LK running I did not do anything special.

The teleport guidance as per krischans advice is still germane: I simple had neither the time nor patience to level a sorc and just happily did the runs with a necro.

While superchests do not produce unique items, I did net quite a few uniques and some of these were elites: the nature of my play meant quite often I had to raise an army to deal with monsters which upped S/U drops and I also got uniques from the racks from time to time, which also helped.

Hope that helps!

5. Raad

Raad Diabloii.Net Member

Hang in there, I spent (I think) around 3 days of 7-8+ hours of grinding to get the stuff I reported earlier in Gryp's item find thread, your mileage may vary but it was my holidays so I had the time, and I am sure you can get better drops with a teleporter. I had waay more fun just running around LK with a necro on p8 and watching movies/listening to music :D