LK Running/Maps?

LordHoth

Diabloii.Net Member
LK Running/Maps?

Well I was going to post this in the small questions thread but after searching the Dii.net forums along with other sites I have many questions about this. Feel free to move this mods if you think it should belong there instead. For reference, I have only gotten one sorceress up to Hell, as I typically get very bored with them in their development stages. I stuck with it though, meleeing my way untill I could wear some decient caster gear and had a decient kill spell. I feel that teleport is the most (overall) broken ability in the game, and I felt at a disadvantage trying to run bosses/certain areas with my fishy (Read: very slow) even though I like him a lot.

I have done multiple hell Meph runs and gotten a good bit of what he can drop, though nowhere near done. I'm also starting to work on Pindle, but I've been wanting to do some LK runs, just to switch it up a bit and because I don't have the ability to HF rush for runes. So I went about rerolling LK maps over and over, and came up with this map.

I've been running to 1 then to 2, but I think I'll save a teleport or two if I go the other way around. Depending on the density of the monsters and how much I'm paying attention it takes about 6-7 teleports to hit #1, then 5-6 to hit #2. I should get better with these/faster runs as I learn the map better and get used to TKing the chests. As a bonus though, there is an armor rack behind #2 that drops rondaches(sp?) and necro heads quite often, but probably not as much as either of sirpoops' racks :p. As of right now I don't have any info on run times, it just seems kinda slow.

Well here are my questions:

1. Is that map good enough or would I be better rerolling one closer to the waypoint?

2. What would you guys say would be an "average" runtime if your pretty much just hitting the super chests?

3. What should I focus on aside from FCR as I already have hit 105? I tried 200 FCR, and while nice, didn't seem to do enough since I'm not really killing anything to justify the equipment sacrifice. I assume +skills, FHR and FRW.

4. When you pop a superchest, do you clear out all of the gold and whatnot to make sure you don't miss a rune drop, or will they always be in the visible part of the stack? If I don't hear anything intresting like a gem/rune/charm drop I have been teleing a bit while holding show item to make sure I didn't miss anything but I wondered if this was a waste of time. (I use the RRM so if it is in the visible part of the stack I will see it, just didn't want to miss a good rune because I forgot to clear some gold out/didn't tele around).

I'm sure I'll think of more questions as I get more information and do more runs, but that is all I can think of at the moment. Thanks in advance for any help and apologies to the readers and mods if I posted too much info or didn't put this in the Questions Thead.

-LH

Edit: Had to fix map link, lemme know if it still doesn't work.

Last edited:

Colorless Green

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: LK Running/Maps?

(1) no, reroll it (assuming you want to do more than a couple runs). You want a map with both campfires immediately next to the WP. It usually takes me about 10-15 minutes of rerolling to find a viable one.

(2) I do about 45 seconds and I think I'm a bit slow. 30s is what a lot of people swear by, I believe.

(3) 105 FCR, then survivability (and FRW). You shouldn't ever be killing anything, and MF has no effect. It's really difficult to maintain survivability with 200%, and it only works out to a second or two faster runs, so I don't consider it worthwhile.

(4) They're not always visible as part of the stack. Some people go by sound/luck, but I always clear stuff down to the point that I can see everything left, which usually consists of taking all the gold and potions. I have the same OCD problems about thinking I might be missing something. This is why my runtimes are a bit slower than average, but I'd rather be a bit slower than average than miss a vita skiller or something.

-CG

LordHoth

Diabloii.Net Member

Thoughts in bold:

(1) no, reroll it (assuming you want to do more than a couple runs). You want a map with both campfires immediately next to the WP. It usually takes me about 10-15 minutes of rerolling to find a viable one.

Ew. Wish I woulda known that, would have saved me some time. Oh well, I've wasted more time in the pits and gotten less (so far Lem, multiple Pgems, Eth Cryptic Ax, 45 res all arkanian rondache(again, sp?) for a low level spirit, some fine and sharp large/grand charms.) Rerolling map. :thumbup:

(2) I do about 45 seconds and I think I'm a bit slow. 30s is what a lot of people swear by, I believe.

I thought I was running slow, and think I have heard 30-45 sec before, not sure where. Didn't know that I was running a slow map though.

(3) 105 FCR, then survivability (and FRW). You shouldn't ever be killing anything, and MF has no effect. It's really difficult to maintain survivability with 200%, and it only works out to a second or two faster runs, so I don't consider it worthwhile.

So far my gear is Shako, Spirit Sword/shield, upped SotVM with res jewel, Frostburns (I'll have to think of something better, don't need Magefist either), SoJ, Rare ring with 15 strength, 10 FCR, 21 LR, Mavina's Tennant belt and Aldur's boots for the 60% FRW, smattering of FRW/FHR/Resist charms.

(4) They're not always visible as part of the stack. Some people go by sound/luck, but I always clear stuff down to the point that I can see everything left, which usually consists of taking all the gold and potions. I have the same OCD problems about thinking I might be missing something. This is why my runtimes are a bit slower than average, but I'd rather be a bit slower than average than miss a vita skiller or something.

I have noticed if I hold down the view item (and have the RRM) while the chest is spewing, you'll see that small flash of red. Won't help with other items though, so probably better to be safe then then sorry.
-CG
Edit: I did some rerolling and came up with a MUCH better map IMO. I relinked the above to it or just go here.

Last edited:

Cygnus

Diabloii.Net Member

Disclaimer: I've "only" done a little over 600 runs, and most of those involved killing boss packs @p3 for exp. I'm in the process of testing stuff and re-equiping my sorc.

Here's my two cents:

1. Yes and yes. It's adequate, but you can certainly do better.

2. I'm at 50 seconds (I have a map similar to yours) and I'm going to reroll. 40 is what I'm shooting for. I don't think I'll be able to do much better than that because a) I suck royally at quickly picking up charms/jewels/gems b) my computer freezes for a couple of seconds between reloads anyway c) I'm picking up stuff regularly from a Cantor Wing rack and d) I'm playing full screen because of (a). But yeah, 30 s should be possible if you tried. If you are doing 10000+ runs, the difference between 40 and 30 seconds is huge in terms of RL hours.

3. Damage reduction, life and Faster Walk (Harmony on switch if you have RWM) I only have 63 FCR and that's enough to get out of trouble. I really don't think you are going to see much difference in time between 63 and 105, but go for 105 if you can. Insight takes care of mana costs.

4. Teleport is the best way to see items. Sometimes teleporting out of the hut is needed. As you use RWM, there's always a little red graphic whenever a rune is among the drops, but I find that I miss this sometimes.

sirpoops made an excellent post on LK running tips some time back, does anyone have it bookmarked?

EDIT: To minimize town visist: keep lots of backpack space free. I have 4x4 right now, but feel 6x4 would be better. Keep multiple stacks of keys (I have four slots) and pick keys up as you go along, the chests are often locked.

Question: Would straight damage reduction work better than %DR? I could then equip vipermagi/magefist/2x10FCR rings + amulet/circlets of life everlasting and get 70+ damage reduction after factoring in Sols.

Fishpowered

Diabloii.Net Member

Well I've been doing LK runs for about last 150 years so I can give you some tips :)

I have a similar map to yours and my average run lasts about 20-25 seconds. I'm only interested in runes so I'm usually ignoring everything else (sometimes pick up some GC or SC but that's about it). When items pop up from the chest I hit alt and see if I can spot something red, if not I immediately continue to another chest. I think its not really worth it looting through all the gold. You may miss a few ELs but is it really better to sift through all that stuff while you could already be doing another run? (would have been a different story without RRM of course).

It really depends on what you are looking for. If you are going after gems and charms then certainly a few seconds won't kill you. But if you are looking for HR than every second you can chop off from each run really pays off in the end.

Friiser

Diabloii.Net Member

I feel that teleport is the most (overall) broken ability in the game, and I felt at a disadvantage trying to run bosses/certain areas with my fishy (Read: very slow) even though I like him a lot.
Warning: Thread Hi-Jack

Just a suggestion for your fishy - get a teleport stick (can be purchased beginning Act III normal, staff with teleport charges) and put it on switch. I do this with all my fishys (yes, I have several). Naj's Puzzler? (the weapon part of the set), and the unique weapon SpellSteel also have teleport charges on them and can also be used here. This will allow you to teleport stack all your minions onto the boss - very effective!!!

Also, you can gamble for an amulet that has + necro skills and teleport charges, but that is pretty darn rare (you'd spend a lot of gold unless you get really lucky). I'm not sure what would be the ideal level to gamble for an amulet with those specific mods, but you can find that info in the SPF.

Cygnus

Diabloii.Net Member

One more thing I forgot to mention: memorize the high rune patterns! Takes about 15 minutes, entirely worth it.