Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Little bit of paladin advice for the new guy...

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Rayze, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Rayze

Rayze IncGamers Member

Little bit of paladin advice for the new guy...

Ok, so I'm going to start playing this game tonight for the first time in...well 6-7 years, and I didn't really even play it that much then, just at my friends house...

I've pretty much decided on Paladin (with a lil bit on Driud, but oh well...thats what the char slots are for) for my first char.

I'm really lost in all this at this point, I'd be starting FRESH, no twinked gear, no cash, a couple friends, but they just started back too...and I cant land on a build to go for...I'd like something that wouldnt be too hard to pick up, but still do well in the later stages of the game and let get get a good feel for the game, since I'm practically playing for the first time again lol.

any advice from you all would be greatly appreciated...thanks

2. MRanson

MRanson IncGamers Member

Re: Little bit of paladin advice for the new guy...

If you're dead set on playing a pally, I'd say to try out a Tesladin. Its a zealer that gets most of his damage from the holy shock aura. I played one on non-ladder a while ago and he was pretty fun. I didn't get too far in hell due to other interests, but with some help, you would probably be fine.

3. Copilot

Copilot IncGamers Member

fanatic zealot is the best started build and a very good melee build. Its in the stickys.

4. SocraticB

SocraticB IncGamers Member

As a beginning character, a Frost Zealot is good; Holy Freeze makes it a bit easier to deal with monsters. If you want to have a character that can deal with Ubers, do a 1-pt Smiter.

5. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

It requires some good gear to be able to play in Hell - a good damaging weapon, leech and resists are an absolute MUST. And good weapons aren't that cheap.

Perhaps the BEST would be a Hammerdin, but, personally, I despise them in every way and wish they'd all get deleted, so I don't advise you to make one. Go with an elemental Zealot, this is the best bet for you - lots of damage, but the weapon doesn't have to be super-good.

6. churinga

churinga IncGamers Member

Make a can-do pally, and make it to nm baal. Run nm baal for many many times, to get better gears :) that's how I got started... And, yes, I think fanat zealot is very good for this purpose.

7. obiwansbane

obiwansbane IncGamers Member

they're all lying to you, if you want to start off... make a sorc.. and mf till u have items.. then build a zealot... maybe its just me... but a pally without decent gear frustrates me to no end... its just so slow :(

8. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

... except for the OK's that can spawn in WSK3 and Throne in Nightmare :undecided:

9. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

The first character you build cannot have any glaring weaknesses that make playing it frustrating. Zealots need above average gear to withstand melee combat and can still get crushed by one skill: Iron Maiden. So, you must have, and practice, use of an alternate attack. Since Berserk from Passion is too difficult to use without good gear, it seems that throwing would be the only other alternative in Chaos Sanctuary and higher. Javelins can make up the difference and get you into the build evolution with other characters and skills of the same grouping: Smite, Sacrifice, and even Berserk as your IM back-up, eventually.

For Paladins, I suggest zealot (with javelins on switch) or medic for pure builds as a starter. Medics are wholly passive, though, backing up their mercenaries and rarely even touching undead. It's basically a matter of being a fantastic party support character or getting into the fray and mixing it up, yourself. If you choose medic, which I don't think you will, let me know, as I've made a few and can give a few pointers.

10. Hey

Hey Diablo: IncGamers Member

For a pally, zealer. For any character, Skelemancer ftw?

11. churinga

churinga IncGamers Member

well.. the best way is to run past them... there is nothing you can do about it.. :undecided: keep charging, and it is not slower than tele... just need lots of mana pots :wink3:

If they are spawn in Throne... take your chance, or try to convert them...

12. Rayze

Rayze IncGamers Member

Zealer it is then, thanks for the input people