Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Little barb help please

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by ddkknoll, Nov 10, 2010.

1. ddkknoll

ddkknoll Diabloii.Net Member

Little barb help please

Hey all,
    I have deicded to make a barbarian, I am not sure why but after going after an enigma for 11 weeks I don't know why I do anything anymore! Anyway I want to get him to be done with hell asap. My hope is to get this done fairly easily, then I might take him to the LK for some running or just have him to have him. So maybe there is a link or maybe there are some guides I don't know but I looked and go nothing. Goal-beat baal hell asap. I am not super rich but I can definitely afford a fair share of goodies....thanks for reading!

-ddk

2. sylecn

sylecn Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Little barb help please

WW, Frenzy, Berserk will be top choice if you want speed. They are all good with the right weapon. Read the pat/mat/guardian thread and the barb forum stickies for more build ideas.

PS: If "done with hell ASAP" means killing Hell Baal, use your other char to rush him.

3. sorcererbob

sorcererbob Diabloii.Net Member

I've only played one barb through Hell. It was an IK barb, and very fun/efficient. I run pits on P7 without an issue.

Edit: Oh, the build was 20 WW, 20 mace mastery, 20 BO, 20 Shout, some one point wonders

4. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned Diabloii.Net Member

Reiterating what the above two posters have said, a WW or Frenzy Barbarian would be ideal for a beginner.

'Honor' --> Butcher's Pupil --> 'Oath'/Death Cleaver --> 'Oath'/'Grief'/'Breath of the Dying' is your standard axe progression. Toss on a Dracul's Grasp and Arreat's Face and you're set for Hell. Check out the Barb Guide thread at the Barb forum for ideas.

Also, rather than LK, there's a good thread in the SPF for Trav running. Look into that as well.

Hopefully someone will come along and link you. :)

5. ddkknoll

about to go a5 normal, wearing full sigons using a bloodrise with 2x cathans rings and an elritch ammy. problem is im slowing down, anyone have any build suggestions?

6. RobbyD

RobbyD Diabloii.Net Member

Do you have a base for 'Honor' (level 27 req)? A Knout or Divine Scepter would be best, followed by Zweihander or Twin Axe (depending on which mastery you are pumping). If he's high enough level (late 30s), an eth Ginther's or a Butcher's Pupil are also good options. Bloodletter is a nice built-in twink weapon for a Barb as well.

I don't see any reason to mess with your armor until you get to NM.

Full Sigon's means you're running with a shield - if you want a Frenzy build, you're going to have to dual wield. If he's WW, he should either be 2H or dual wield (though you CAN WW with weapon/shield). What combat skill is he using?

7. ddkknoll

robby-i do not have a base for oath base (would love to trade for one though) and right now i havent put a point into combat skill, mostly becuase i havent needed to. he is just strong enough. ill go with WW eventually though. thanks for the help.

8. ddkknoll

Figured I would just continue this thread .. So I'm level 25 and in a5 normal, full sigons 2 cathans rings and elritch ammy. My wep is bloodrise and it's just not cutting it. Should I take a 2 handed wep and lose full sigons or should I fin a new one handed wep, looking through the Uniques I didn't find anything good. Also I noticed when i kill something I get almost no xp anyone have any thoughts on that (although the focus of this is my problem about weapons!) thanks for reading, I appreciate any help.

9. RobbyD

RobbyD Diabloii.Net Member

Level 25 in Act 5 Normal??? That's usually my level taking on Duriel. I suggest you go back and work on leveling in Act 2 or Act 3.

King's Grace is available at level 25 and, made in a War Scepter or Espandon, would make a decent weapon.

10. BobTheWarrior

BobTheWarrior Diabloii.Net Member

My suggestion:

If you have it, use full irathas finery for good resistances, some IAS and some FRW. Put on Berserkers armor and helmet for ar/level, +1 skill, then get yourself a Bonesnap unique Mace, 2-handed and equipable at level 24.

For skills, I would suggest running Eldrich in A5 until level 30, then invest in whirlwind.

For weapon choice go with Bonesnap (24) -> Steeldriver (29), then either an upp'd steeldriver (34?) or a bloodtree stump (48).

For Armor, whatever keeps you alive until you get to your end game gear. Something like Gores + Dracs or LoH + SoE + Arreats. Body armor will vary depending on what you have, Fortitude or CoH is the best, but if you don't have those Duress, Stone, Lionheart or one of the common merc armors (shaftstop, Glad Bane, etc.) should suffice depending on your needs.

Jewelery, Angelics combo if you need the AR, Highlords + leech rings if you don't.

Make sure you have both Life and Mana leech somewhere on your equipment, check your IAS breakpoints (or WW hit checks) and above all, have fun!

11. TheReadMenace

TheReadMenace Diabloii.Net Member

I just finished an IK barb in two days that also started out with the full Sigon's set (pat thread on the front page if you wanna look at it). Note that the bonuses for the shield and full set don't really provide too much. My move was to ditch the shield and go for offense. I used what BTW suggested... Bonesnap and then Steeldriver, which I used through 4.5 acts in NM. It wasn't a super strong character, but I never upped it either. It certainly worked, though.

And since Shaels can be used at clvl29, be sure to check WW breakpoints to see if 20IAS will help (absolutely yes for Steeldriver; it adds 50% more hits per second).

Also note that off-weapon IAS does you no good once you start to use WW. The two-piece of Sigon's helm and gloves give LL and AR, but the IAS does no good. So your armor slots can all be freely replaced if you wish. The best mods to have are leeches, resists, AR and DR.

Try and think ahead for what your endgame weapon(s) will be. Since WW doesn't have any direct synergies, the only damage boosts you'll get are through a weapon mastery and points in Strength. Pick a weapon type now and stick with it. ...Or pick one type for right now and respec later when you find/can equip something better.