Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

literature

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by dantose, Jan 30, 2004.

1. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

literature

what do people think about the books most schools require as reading? my thoughts:

Good:
    shakespeare but it should be watched as well. they are plays after all. I didn't like othello though. I thought the characters were a bit unbelievable

Bad:
    moby dick: good story but had no flow. they would tell a chapter of story then discribe some guy's toothbrush for a few chapters or something equally as "deep"

JD salinger: in all honesty, catcher in the rye was straight crap. JD has no clue how to write about human interaction. all the characters are two dimentional.

czarist and stalinist period russian literature: the fact is i just don't want to hear about how you are so great and how lonely it is being the smartest person in russia. I also don't care how great it is that everyone is a machine now. The revolutionary work in the 60's was good though. especially the adventures of pvt chonkin

2. Jigga-Scrooge

Jigga-Scrooge IncGamers Member

this thread title makes me tremble in fear.

3. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

The hobbit!

4. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

what was wrong with the characters in Othello?

5. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

thello was just a bit to easilly manipulated. I felt like i was reading about bugs bunny tricking elmer fudd. also, the characters just didn't have the depth those from hamlet, romeo and juliet or even macbeth had.

6. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

Don't get me started on Othello. I had to BS my way through my English class by writing a 6 page essay how Iago is ***.

I liked SOME of the books they made us read in school. A lot of them didn't appeal to me since they were classics and the language was hard to understand. I only piece I enjoyed reading in school was "A Modest Proposal"

7. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

I hate shakespeare.

8. zarikdon

zarikdon IncGamers Member

I actually really liked Russian literature from the late 1800's. I suppose that falls a little under the "czarist" designation, but for the books I liked I'm not sure how much that mattered.

Dostoyevsky is my all-time favorite writer, with "The Brothers Karamazov" being the most impressive of his novels. "The Idiot" and "Crime and Punishment" are good too, but they don't quite reach the level of "Karamazov." As far as Tolstoy goes, I think "Anna" and "War and Peace" were good, but not exactly to my taste. A lot of his shorter works are really interesting and good though, such as "The Death of Ivan Illych" and "The Kreutzer Sonata." I really enjoyed Chekov, but I didn't like much of Turgenev... and I suppose that pretty much covers all the Russian authors I've ever read.

Shakespeare is definitely good stuff though... despite the fact that I think it's sort of an acquired taste, or maybe something you develop with experience. Back in high school, I couldn't really understand why his plays were considered so good, but in college and afterwards, I started to appreciate his work more. Not really the stuff you can just pick up for a quick read though. :p

9. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

Just wondering which level of education you guys are talking about?
    12-16 Harry potter, Hobbit etc
    16-18 Shakespeare (probably comedies, mid-summers night dream etc
    18+ Shakespeare too (romeo and juliet etc)
    I don't know about the others but we focused on Gothic lit which was like Frankenstein etc. Very drearty IMO.

10. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

I liked Catch22 and this seems to be mostly 16-18

11. fiend!

fiend! Banned

Thomas Paine - Age of Reason

12. thejdawg2

thejdawg2 IncGamers Member

Don DeGrazia - American Skin
    Stephen Chbosky - Perks of Being a Wallflower
    Richard Russo - Mohawk

13. ShadoweOrbe

ShadoweOrbe IncGamers Member

I liked Catcher in the Rye....

I think shakespeare plays should definatly be watched. Be it a movie or live version, but yes they should be watched.

I wish they would do more modern literature rather than pure classical stuff. But unless you are in an AP class, my HS dumbed downt he curriculum so much you couldn't do that.

I think I probably could have done without the grapes of wraith