Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

lit mastery

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by zenithsmith, Nov 1, 2006.

1. zenithsmith

zenithsmith IncGamers Member

lit mastery

In the single player forum there is a tournement going on to make untwinked enchantress, and i am going for the melee route, and since i have not done anything like this before i felt it was best to read some guides and how skills interact with swords/axes

what my plan hopefully is to have a combo of fire dam and lit dam, now reading over the mastery guide and the Bodomsorc , it will boost the dam of any lit damage that my char does, on the weapon or in charms
    from the Bodomsorc guide
    Now i'm not sure if that only applies if you have a dream helm on, which i will not

so for simplification ( and all the lit dam i have now, but i'm in the low 20's) i have one charm that does 1-3 lit dam - lets say 2 average, and i have a lvl 20 lit mastery as my luck is horrible and i don't get anything useful

2 dam *(1+2.78)*(1+2.78)
    =2 *(3.78)*(3.78)
    = 21 total lit dam
    now my goal is to get more lit dam charms and hopefully make a Cresent moon weapon for the -lit mod ( which i think is somewhat attainable)
    just wanted to make sure that this is correct for my situation or just with dream helm attached

2. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Nope, sorry, but you're out of luck. Only very specific, very certain skills will get the double boost from Mastery- basically, just Enchant, Holy Fire/Freeze/Shock, and Venom. Every other source of elemental damage in the entire game (charms, spells, gear, ctc effects) will either get ONE boost from mastery, or sometimes even none (if it's gear-based elemental damage and you're using a ranged attack).

Sorry.:undecided:

3. zenithsmith

thanks for the info!

atleast now i know what to expect!

edit : err venom? what kind of boast does venom get from masteries?

4. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Mastery doesn't actually refer to the Sorceress Masteries. All +% Skill Damage is actually "elemental mastery", while -% enemy resists is "elemental pierce". In other words, Trang Oul's Gloves give +25% Poison Mastery, while the Sorceress skill "Cold Mastery" doesn't actually give cold mastery at all, it gives Cold Pierce (although Lightning Mastery and Fire Mastery do, in fact, give Lightning and Fire Mastery). As another example, Ormus' robes gives +10-15% fire mastery, cold mastery, and lightning mastery, which stacks additively with the fire mastery that comes from the Fire Mastery skill. Also, every single rainbow facet packs 3-5% elemental mastery AS WELL AS 3-5% elemental pierce.

Confused yet? Basically, when I say "elemental mastery", what I really mean is "+% Elemental Damage", which can come from a variety of sources. In the case of Venom, it's double-boosted by Poison Mastery, which can come from Bramble (up to 50% Poison Mastery), Trang's gloves (25% Poison Mastery), and Poison Facets (up to 5% poison mastery each). If you have a Venom that averages 100 damage, and you wear a perfect Bramble, it will actually deal (100 * 1.5 * 1.5) or 225 average damage.

5. zenithsmith

Ahhhhh, gotcha

6. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

good explanation. :thumbsup:

7. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Thank you very much. :grin:

8. jesus walks

jesus walks IncGamers Member

lit masteryyy

lightning mastery is great!

9. mr hamster

mr hamster IncGamers Member

So does this mean that with bramble + trangs gloves, that will equal massive pwnage with an assassin using venom or just anyone using grief?:shocked:

10. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

A perfect Bramble + Trang's Gloves will more than triple Venom damage, as long as you
    (1) wear them both while casting (or triggering) Venom *AND* while attacking and
    (2) use melee attacks (ranged attacks don't get boosted by mastery).

Using a slvl 15 Venom (from Grief or Treachery) with a perfect Bramble and Trang's gloves, you will deal about 965 damage per hit (2412 per second).

Using a slvl 40 Venom, you will deal 3323 damage per hit (8307 per second).

I suppose if you wanted to get silly, you could toss in 5 PerfPoison Facets somewhere (helm, shield, claws, etc). That'll give you +100% Poison Mastery, which will quadruple your damage. With a slvl 40 Venom, that's 4340 per hit, or 10850 per second.

Edit: Maximum possible theoretical Venom damage-
    Assassin with 20 points in Venom, wearing dual +3 Shadow/+3 Venom claws, both dual socketed with PerfPoison Facets. +3 Shadow Skills circlet, dual-socketed with PerfPoisons. +3 Shadow Skills Amulet, PerfBramble, Trang's gloves, Shadowdancers, Arachnid's, 2x SoJs, Torch, Anni, 9x Shadow GCs, Battle Commands, Skill Shrine. That's slvl 59 Venom, cast with +105% Poison Mastery, which gives a 3587.5 average damage Venom (8968.75 per second).

After prebuffing Venom, switch to PerfBramble, Trang's gloves, 6os PB with 6x PerfPoison Facets, 3os Helm with 3x PerfPoison Facets, 4os Monarch with 4x PerfPoison Facets. Rest of gear is irrelevant. That's +140% Poison Mastery. Land a melee attack with your prebuffed Venom and you'll deal 8608.8 damage per hit (21,522 damage per second).

11. yiuman

yiuman IncGamers Member

If you wanted to get really silly, you could get a 1.10 beta bramble that has +100% poison damage and do 12941 per hit or 32352 per second.

Alternatively, if you want to maximise the damage you'd do with one hit, you can consider using a dagger or ring with charges of poison dagger. Poison dagger interacts differently with venom in that the damage from venom is applied for the whole duration of the poison dagger skill + 0.4secs! This means that with perfect equipment (including a 1.10beta bramble) a lvl 5 poison dagger (from a ring) would do 129550 over 4seconds (or 86230 over 4secs with a normal bramble), or a level 8 poison dagger (from a knife) would do 151050 over 5.2seconds (or 112130 over 5.2seconds with a normal bramble). Wow!

12. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Psh, Poison Dagger... the Venom Abuser's skill of choice is Poison Javelin. With PoisJav and a little bit a patience, a Venom-using Amazon could potentially deal over a million damage per hit. :shocked:

:grin:

13. yiuman

yiuman IncGamers Member

Wow - that's quite a read. I guess the advantage of dagger over javalin is that you can do alot of damage over a relatively short period. I actually think that a poison dagger using assassin could be made into a viable killer. Let do some (slightly) more reasonable numbers. Ok, assuming perfect prebuffing equipment (but no beta bramble) that gives a venom of 9k per second. Switching to a PBramble + Trangs gloves but only 5 facets (2 in a rare/magic dagger with charges of Pdagger, 2 in CoA helm and 1 in shield), you'd have a PMastery of 100% so you'd do 18k per second. So a lvl 8 pdagger would do 93.6k damage over 5.2seconds, not taking into account -%res. Not too shabby.

Basic plan would be cast cloak of shadows, run up and stab with Pdagger and run away again and stab something else. The problem would be that it'd burn through the charges on the dagger and you'd have to stab everything!