Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Linux/Windows/Unix, what's the difference?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Agent Orange, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Agent Orange

Agent Orange IncGamers Member

Linux/Windows/Unix, what's the difference?

I never really thought there could be another program like Windows to run a computer, but I guess there is? What is Linux? Is it better then Windows? I have no idea what any of it does, I guess I should being a Computer System Data Engineer :p So I feel like an idiot, anyways, someone wanna clue me in?

2. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

Its a Operating system. God forbid people use other OS than windows.

3. Pidder

Pidder IncGamers Member

Linux is the kernel found at www.kernel.org developed in 91' by Linus Torvalds. The kernel is code that communicates with your computer hardware. On top of the kernel (Linux) you can place a graphical interface like X or KDE and programs.

Linux (the kernel), a graphical interface and programs are often called a distribution. There are many different distributions and they come with different programs and graphical interfaces but the kernel is always the same. You may have heard of Red Hat, Mandrake, Debian, Gentoo, Slackware etc..

4. Pidder

Pidder IncGamers Member

The main difference between Linux and Windows is that Linux is "open source". That basically means that anyone can look at the kernel source code and modify it any way they want. This also makes it free.