Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Linux Help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Color_Wolf, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Color_Wolf

Color_Wolf IncGamers Member

Linux Help!!!!!

Hey you guys know how to make a 2 megabit wireless LAN card communicate with an 11 megabit wireless LAN card?

The kernel for the 2 megabit wireless LAN card computer is 2.2.13 while the kernel for the 11 megabit wireless LAN card computer is 2.4.xx and the two cards can't seem to detect each other.

Also anyone know a good place to get a 2 megabit wireless LAN card? I searched through FRYS and ebay and google and still can't find any of those for sale... :(

Finally, in case you Linux xperts can't help can anyone tell me what is a good place to ask these questions?

2. Mad Merlin

Mad Merlin IncGamers Member

Not sure what protocols you're using there, but I suspect two things:

1) You're using two non compatible standards (like 802.11a and 802.11b)

2) As far as I know, you're going to need a Wireless Router or "Hot Spot" to have as an intermediary between the two cards before they can talk to each other, if the router supports both standards, it's possible that the computers could talk to each other.

It's not so important what kernel each computer is running, so long as it has support for the wireless card in that computer. Having said that, I'm not sure about the wireless support in 2.2.13 (which is a very old kernel now), and you'd most likely have better luck with a newer one such as 2.4.24 (which is the current stable release in the 2.4 branch)

If each card is working properly (as in, it's detected and such) then try a Wireless Router first.

You're asking about 2 Mbit cards, which IIRC are 802.11a, but are largely superseded by 802.11b (which is 11 Mbit), so you'll probably have a hard time finding any nowadays.

You may want to direct any future questions you have to LinuxQuestions.org.

3. Color_Wolf

Color_Wolf IncGamers Member

Thanks, i might look into the Wireless Router you are talking about.

The thing about using 2.2.13 kernel is that most of the codes i am using can only compile in 2.2.xx kernel (the codes can't even compile in 2.4 kernels)... so one of my computer is stuck with 2.2 kernel. And I can't seem to find any 11 mbps (802.11b standard i guess) card that has drivers in 2.2 kernel... so one of my comp is stuck with a 2 mbps card... Of course the long term solution is to rewrite the code for 2.4 kernel but our gang needs to do a few experiments in like a week and we run out of 2 mbps (802.11a standard i guess) cards but we do have 11 mbps cards (The kernel for second computer is optional).

But anyway, knowing that "802.11a" is the key word i guess i'd have a better time looking for the correct card... thanks.

4. Mad Merlin

Mad Merlin IncGamers Member

I'm not sure what it is exactly that is keeping you with the 2.2 branch, but as far as I know, the 2.4 branch is backwards compatible, with the exception of (some) of the depreciated features that have been removed or reworked, so unless you're using one of those, I don't see why you'd be stuck on 2.2.