Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Lightning Trap Assassin Guide

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by yhlge, Apr 6, 2004.

1. yhlge

yhlge IncGamers Member

Lightning Trap Assassin Guide

This is the best guide i've ever seen. Please give some commpliment on weather it is good or bad.

-----------------------------------------------------
    "Trapsin" guide for Diablo 2: LoD 1.10
    -----------------------------------------------------

By: Flaming Newbie

---------------
    Contents
    ---------------

1. Introduction
    2. The Stats
    3. The Skills
    4. The Items
    5. Dealing With the Lighning Immunes
    6. Claw vs Shield
    7. The Stratagies
    8. Mfing with your Trapsin

---------------
    1. Introduction
    ---------------

Hi, this is Flaming Newbie here with my trapsin guide. Your probely wondering,
    why make a trapsin guide? Well 2 reasons: 1 they, like most casters, got HUGE
    damage bonuses from senergys in the patch. 2 I see many threads on the
    forums asking questions about trapsins. Well with out more delay, on with the guide!

---------------
    2. The Stats
    ---------------

Ah, here we are, what to put stat points in. Follow this guide and you will be
    making your trap sin the right way :p. ok heres how to distrubue them:

Strength
    All you need here is enough to wear your gear. Thats it.

Dexterity
    There are 2 things you can do here. 1 you can only put enough to wear your gear or:
    2 you can put enough to keep up your max block if you use a shield. (more on this later)

Energy
    You don't need as much here as you might think. About 100 energy tops is all you really need
    That is, if you use 2 soj you will be fine in the mana catagory

Vitality
    This is were most of your stat points go. Usually after you get Strength, Dexterity, and
    Energy were you want them, the rest of your points go here.

---------------
    3. The Skills
    ---------------

These are the things you use to kill monsters with (and other players ^_^). Im only gonna list
    the skills that I think are of most importantance (and usefulness). In this guide i will be
    focusing on lighning trap because they have to most damage potential.

Traps

Shock Web - MAX
    Charged Bolt Sentry - MAX
    Lightning Sentry - MAX
    Death Sentry - MAX

Shadow Disciplines

Burst of Speed - 2-3
    Shadow Master - MAx (after you max everything else)
    Mind Blast - 1

---------------
    4. The Items
    ---------------

Now we're talkin! These are the main things you need to be a sucessful trapsin.
    Here are 3 set of item you can use depending on your wealth: Noob, Good, Godly

Noob
    Here are some easy to get items that will help you along:

Helmet: Pesant Crown
    Armor: Spirt Shroud
    Belt: Glooms Trap
    Rings: SOJ's
    Amulet: 1 to all skills
    Weapon: 2x 2 to all traps
    Gloves: Frost Burn

Good
    Here are some items that wil take a while to find:

Helmet: Harliqin Crest
    Armor: Skin of the Viper Magi
    Belt: Tals Belt
    Amulet: 3 to Traps
    Weapon: 2x 2 to all Assasin skills
    Gloves: Frost Burns
    Boots: water Walk
    Inventory: 1-2 Trap charms

Godly
    If you have these items, you will own ^_^

Helmet: Harliqin Crest
    Armor: Enigma
    Belt: Arachnid Mesh
    Amulet: 3 to Traps
    Weapon: Heart of the Oak & Storm Shield
    Gloves: Frost Burns
    Boots: Marrow Walk
    Inventory: 1 Annuilles and 10x Trap charms

---------------
    5.Claw vs Shield
    ---------------

As you may know, Assasins can duel wield claws. This allows up to +6 to traps
    (2x 3 to trap claws) but also cuts out resitance and high blocking of a shield.
    What I do is on my 1st weapon slot is put in 2x 3 to Traps claws, and on my
    weapon switch have a shield handy. Also, you can invest points into claw block
    so u can duel wield claws while not completely defenseless. Plus, as of 1.10 claw
    block also can block certian spells.

---------------
    6.Stratagies
    ---------------

Of course there are many stratiges to using a trapsin. Here I will list some that
    I have found most effective.

PvM

- When fighting large groups of monsters, it is important to mind blast a few monsters
    and convert them to keep monsters in place and keep them from reaching you.
    - Death Sentry + mobs of the same monsters = dead monsters ^_^
    - Cast your Shadow Master into groups of monsters before laying down traps
    - Scout with your traps. Lay a few trap ahed of you and if they atack you know that
    there are monsters lurking there.
    - Dealing with Lightning Immunes is easy. Use Death Sentry to explode the corpses of the
    non-immune monsters to kill off the immunes. After a few fall the rest will follow.

PvP

- Lay down traps and cast mind blast on the players to keep them from moving and/or
    reaching you!
    - It is wise to put a Wizard Spike and Lidless wall on your second wepon switch to cast
    mind blast faster. Using these you can lock some players so they can't attack
    - Beware of people with absorb. You can counter this buy looking for a wand with lower resist
    charges. It lowers their resist and thier absorb dosn't work as well.
    - Here is a trick to killing ranged player and keeping them away from you: walk next to the player so that
    the player is right on the edge of your screen. Use your Wiz spike and use mind blast and make sure
    you hold down rightclick. After about 5-6 mindblasts ,while holding down rightclick switch to
    Lightning Sentry and laydown 5 traps. Switch back to mind blast to hold them in place. You should never let go
    of rightclick during this.

---------------
    7.Mfing with your Trapsin
    ---------------

Yes, you heard me right, mfing with your trapsin. They are surisingly effective mfers, if
    if you know how to do it right. Here are a list of pros and cons of a trapsin over other
    mfing chars.

Pros

-Thier traps do major damage and monsters don't last long with 5 traps layed down
    -They can use BoS to increase thier traplaying and running speed.
    -They have claw block, which can block attacks and certian spells with out dex to raise the %
    -Trapins have Death Sentry, which can slaughter mobs of monsters and kill lightning immunes
    -Mind Blast can knock back almost any monster and can convert them to hold the other monsters in place
    -Trapsins can run around and avoid attacks while the traps do their work

Cons

-They can't teleport.(can be fixed with Enigma)
    -They can't use static field
    -It takes some time to get all 5 traps down

MF Gear

Helmet: P-Topazed Shako
    Amor: P-Topazed Skullders Ire
    Gloves: Chance Gaurds
    Belt: Gold Wrap
    Boots: War Travs
    2x Nagel Rings
    Mf Amulet
    First weapon: 2x Bartucs
    Second weapon: Ali Baba and Rhyme shield
    Note:
    I like to put my Baba, rhyme shield, nagel rings and mf ammy in my cube. When im about to kill baal I switch my
    gear to my mf stuff. This way I can kill baal faster.

How to Mf

The easiest way to mf is to do pindle/edrich/shenk runs. You can do baal runs with this build fairly easy.
    you just run around to find the entrances to the next level. What about Ligtning Immunes you ask? If you
    run into a uniqe monster with lightning immunitys you can use DS to explode his minoin's corpses. If that dosen't
    kill them you can use firebomb (yes, the lvl 1 skill ^_^) while your Shadow Master distracts them. When battling
    baal's minons lay down traps befor they come out. When they do you cast mind blast a few times to keep the monsters
    in place. Lay down Death Sentrys when a few minons die. Lister and his pals are a diffrent story because they can't
    be converted. The trick to beating them is to continously cast mind blast on them (it stuns them) to keep them from
    getting to you. Move on to baal and kill him. Watch out for those cold waves he shoots. to aviod being frozen you
    switch to your Rhyme shield.

2. yhlge

yhlge IncGamers Member

bump.............................

some please tell me wheather this guide is good or not!!!

please............................

3. FrolfFreak

FrolfFreak IncGamers Member

4. yhlge

yhlge IncGamers Member

I've actually read that before, but I thinks that it's not as concentrate on lightning trap as the one shown above.

But thanks anyway

5. Naliworld

Naliworld IncGamers Member

This is a good start, but there's already a PvM Lightning Trapper guide by in the Compendium(as Frolf pointed out, don't see the need for another one, unless there's something that sets your build apart), with another one its way(by tl998) and IMO(no offense) your guide too light on Strategies for it to be called a true PvP guide.

6. GenXCub

GenXCub IncGamers Member

I personally like your use of Stones of Jordan in your 'noob' setup, and I've yet to even get one since i've started the ladder. I'm far from a 'noob' but I can't get all of the elite stuff. Perhaps you can be more realistic about that setup.

7. mythus

mythus IncGamers Member

lol ya i just noticed that. i've been able to come up with some sojs only for my builds, but never just to trade around. only have like 5. anyhow. sojs for a noob would be dangerous. he'd probably trade it for a ...hmm... bartucs or jade talon or something.

8. nSin

nSin IncGamers Member

no secondary element, personally, I have about the same build but tried to max fireblast and cbs 85 now and will have it about done at 90 I hope.

I do 2.8-3k damage in a radius of 3.3 yars with fireblast. If people start to use stacked light resist, then use that. Doesnt kill half as fast, unless their res arent good, but I can kill some people in about 4 fire blasts.

I'm somewhat suprised you actually want to put more points then 40/50 in energy, seriously, thats just wasted.

You just skipped dealing with lightning immunes.. unless you want to use this lower res wannd all the time, or choose to use a merc for that, I dont see how this build can take done lite immunes.

I see many trappers in the pubby dueling scene with a shadow master .. I dont get why, personally, I think it sucks, and isnt worth the points, might be me. 2-3 points in bos isnt needed, I put one in it and it's lvl 12,. or 14 depending on gear choice. More then plenty.

As for your godly setup, I have all that, and disagree with a couple off things, I traded maras for your 3 to trap charm, unless you can find a 3 trap with 30 all res, maras is just better since it boosts teleport and call to arms too.

Frostburns? Go with magefists, you'll reach a reasonable bp. You havent mentioned FCR anywhere, nor FHR.

Personally, I do think you have an idea about how trapsins work, but you havent really tried to tweak your assasin to get optimal perfomance. I say this because of your build, your gear and your pvp strategies, however, someone who's new to the assasin and wants to make a trapper will sure find this guide helpfull

9. FrolfFreak

nSin, i don't think MageFist will help a Trapsin reach any breakpoints, since i believe the speed of laying traps is based on attack speed, not casting speed (see the 1.10 assassin FAQ in the strategy compendium). FCR is useless for trappers; look to boost your attack speed instead.

-FF

10. FrolfFreak

Self-correction: Trap-laying is based on attack speed, but cloak of shadow and mind blast casting is based on cast speed. So both will need to be fast in PvP. My bad.

-FF

11. Ryshenron

Ryshenron IncGamers Member

for PvM lidless is a better choice than SS imo