Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Lightning Sorceress: Which is the better path?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Represented, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Represented

Represented Banned

Lightning Sorceress: Which is the better path?

Hey.. I have a question regarding max blocking with Spirit. Is it worth getting max block with Spirit?

I'm planning to make a Lightning Sorceress and I want max block, but is it worth investing 198732640913 points into dex for it if I'm going to use Spirit? Is Stormshield a better choice for me? I want a this Sorceress to be able to PvM and be decent at PvP.

The gear I have now is:

Griffons Eye
    Mara's
    Heart of the Oak
    Chains of Honor made in Archon Plate
    Magefists
    2x SoJ
    Arachnid Belt
    Sandstorm Treks
    35% Spirit or Stormshield

On Switch:
    CtA and Spirit

Sorc Torch
    Anni
    9x Light GCs
    10x Life SCs

Mercenary has..

Ethereal Andys
    Ethereal Fortitude
    Ethereal Infinity

In the end, I think my resistances are going to be maxed and 140% FCR. Also, I think I'll be going the Energy Shield build.

So in conclusion..

How does max block work out with Spirit? Is it worth investing lots of dex into it?

Does going Energy build affect it at all? (Don't need much vitality, SoJs will give me lots of mana)

Finally.. since I have so many Light GCs and + skills, how many points should I invest into Energy shield and Telekinesis? I've read a guide on this, but it doesn't specify. It says 8-20 on Energy Shield depending on my gear, but with all of my gear added together, I should have well over +20 skills.

Thanks in advance.

2. MYK

MYK Diablo: IncGamers Member

Re: Lightning Sorceress: Which is the better path?

one point in ES, 20 in TK.

Don't block with a Spirit shield. I'd go for block with the Stormshield, though. It's a really nice shield.

3. eseven

eseven IncGamers Member

Blocking with any shield with <70% innate block isn't a very good idea. ES doesn't affect block as far as I know..I'd imagine it to work in the order of block->es. To get 95% absorption on ES you need level 40. The only way to get level 40 from a base level of 8 or so ES is through tons of prebuffing gear, which imo isn't worth the hassle. On my ES sorcs I've just pumped ES so that I only need to change one piece of gear for max absorption (9es memory).

4. Represented

Represented Banned

Thanks for the replies!

I don't plan on using any prebuff gear other than a CtA. With everything added together, I have ~27 all to light skills. What is the ideal level of ES? 95% Absorption isn't required is it?

If I do go ES build, what should my stats be?

My rough idea is..

Str -> Enough for gear
    Dex -> None
    Vital -> None
    Energy -> Rest

5. Borje

Borje Banned

Swap out Magefists for Frosties. Your FCR Is Hoto (40) + Spirit (35) + Arach (20) + Griffons (25) = 120 % So you hit the FCR BP without Magies. Switch them for Frosties for another +40% Max mana. Try to get your ES up high - the Memory prebuff will add 9 skill points! Total +max mana% will be +95%, so try to get SCs with life/mana (20/17 being perfect but very expensive).

As for absorbtion level, I can't really tell, I'm kinda unskilled in the pvp sorcs, but with +27 skill and 1 in ES you get a 83% absorbtion from ES. Every skillpoint added will give a +1% Absorbtion, so to get an ES that absorbs 95% you would have to add 13 skill points or prebuff some more on :)

6. Represented

Represented Banned

So as far as stats go, I should just dump all my points into Energy correct? Or should I have some vital?

Thanks in advance

7. Spectrus

Spectrus IncGamers Member

You will want some vitality, since otherwise poison will tear through you. I guess people advocate something like 3-5 energy per point of vitality, but I'm not too sure on this. But you need some vitality.

8. Davio

Davio IncGamers Member

You have to remember that even with 95% sorb, 5% goes to vita, so if you only have 50 life and you receive 1000 dmg, you're still dead.

9. Represented

Represented Banned

Hmm.. I'm going to have 10 17-20 life SCs + life from gear. With that, roughly how much vitality would I need?

Sorry for asking so many questions, this is my last character before I quit and I want it to be perfect.

10. SucksAtDiablo

SucksAtDiablo IncGamers Member

I don't know much about block, but Stormshield seems like a better choice.

I honestly have more experience with a vita build, and they work very well. Blocking gets you stuck in a block-lock kinda often, and Id rather just get FHR. Its much easier, cheaper, and you can have a ton more life instead of dex :).

Im just a cheap loser so thats why I'd say FHR lmao. :p

11. Represented

Represented Banned

Well, I've gotten all my items.. and I have

Griffons Eye
    Mara's
    Heart of the Oak (36%)
    Chains of Honor made in Archon Plate
    Frostburns
    2x SoJ
    Arachnid Belt
    Sandstorm Treks
    35% Spirit or Stormshield

On Switch:
    CtA and Spirit

Sorc Torch (19/16)
    Anni (20/14)
    9x Light GCs
    10x Life SCs

Mercenary has..

Ethereal Andys
    Ethereal Fortitude
    Ethereal Infinity

Without adding anything, my guy has 54 strenght. I was wondering if I should replace Maras with a rare amulet that has 2 to sorc skills, 17 to str, 19 to dex and 19% psn res. My resistances without Maras would be..

Anya Quest = 30
    Anni/Torch = 30
    CoH = 65
    Spirit = 0 , 35 , 35 , 35
    HotO = 36
    Treks = 0 , 0 , 0 , 50

61 FR, 75 CR, 75 LR, 75 PR

This way, I sacrifice 14% FR for 12 extra points in strenght, however I can try to get some Fire Res SCs.

Is this a good idea or should I just invest points into strenght? If I invest points into strenght, I'll need to put 37 strenght to wear my treks, then I'll have 126 strenght after CoH, and I'll need to invest another 30 points in order to wear spirit. So in total, I'll need to add 67 points into strenght if I wear Maras.

If I wear the rare amulet, I'll only need to invest 55 points into strenght. Is it worth it?

I have a couple rare rings that have a decent amount of strenght, but I don't think SoJ can be beaten with the 20% more max mana, as I am going for ES.

Which reminds me.. should I invest any points into vitality at all or should I just go all mana? Keep in mind that I have 10x Life SCs and CtA.

12. Spectrus

The difference between 55 points and 67 points is 12 points right. That's 12 points out of vitality to put in strength, or 24 life. You need at least two small charms to make up 14% fire resist. But using those same two small charm spaces, you can pick up 40 life.

If there's more stuff involved, that gets more complicated.

You should get some life still, imo. But I don't count myself as having any authority on ES. Meh.

13. UberB

UberB IncGamers Member

Personally I think an upp'ed Visceratuant > Stormshield, same amount of block, less strength required, faster block rate (less chance of getting block-locked), and a free skill to boot.

Stormshield is good for the 35% DR, but why bother with it when you already have max block? Only the 25% unblocked attacks will be affected - and if you're in melee range anyway as a caster, you're in trouble.

14. Represented

Represented Banned

Hmm.. I guess from what Spectrus said, I should just invest str and keep Maras.

@UberB: I never intended to use SS, I planned on using Spirit. I'm not getting max block. I forgot to delete that part about when I copy and pasted it from the front.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  15. Spectrus

I messed up. You can pick up the same 40 life from two small charms anyway if you get resist. So if you can pick up more than 24 life between the two fire res scs, you're probably better off with the rare amulet.

16. Noite Escura

Noite Escura IncGamers Member

I would just like to add that the 35% DR form Stormshield is even more wasted on ES sorcs, specially 95% ones. Gerke's Sanctuary integer DR would be far more useful.

17. Represented

Represented Banned

ehh I've already stated that I'm going to use Spirit. The real question here is whether to use the rare amulet or Mara's?

P.S. All the feedback is/was appreciated.