Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Lightning Sorceress -- Plus an Online Question

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by BuddhaMind, May 12, 2005.

1. BuddhaMind

BuddhaMind IncGamers Member

Lightning Sorceress -- Plus an Online Question

Saw an interesting thread about a Lightning Sorceress making it through some rough parts of the game. Didn't want to hijack the thread, so I'll start another one --

How viable IS a Lightning Sorceress in 1.10? I have this great love of Chain Lightning (my favorite doesn't-always-do-doodley spell) and wonder if a Lightning/Cold Orb gal has a chance? Anyone have any success stories?

Also, if I may, I started up a character on US West, having not played MP at all in Diablo (although yes in World of Warcaft until I got tired of the nonsense). I'm using it for SP right now but here's my question - is it me or am I seeing better drops earlier than I do when playing SP normal on my own computer?

Ok, I'll let you experts figure these out!

BUddhaMind

2. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

I took my CL/FO sorc to level 97 before leaving. Yes they are viable, the damage is good and they survive quite well if you have a nice merc. Go read some of the guides, they have pretty good information.

3. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

I've got a FO/CL sorc to gurdian so she's viable enough. Kill speed isn't too great, though. I recommend 20 FO / 1 CM for the cold side and 20 in each of CL, L and LM. Lightning is chosen as synergy because it is a single target attack spell that you can use when CL isn't efficient. I've bumped static field to a pretty high level, covers pretty much the entire screen. The point of that is that CL on it's own takes ages to kill and uses up mana like nobody's buisness. But if you take everything to 50% with static field you end up killing faster and using less mana. +10 to static definetly does more for this lady than another +10 synergy.

4. farting bob

farting bob Banned

CL/FO is definitely viable, and very quick until you hit hell from what i here, where CL doesnt really do enough damage comapred to other skills available to sorcies.

5. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

I just wanna state that L/CL on its own does NOT take ages to kill. Nightfish simply went for a character that can handle lightning immunes more efficiently and missed out on quite a few synergies to Lightning/Chain Lightning. CL is best for small tightly packed groups of monsters(like fallen/fetish groups), while lightning can handle them quite well on their own.

For Pure Lightning...
    Max Charged Bolt(Put points in this up until Lightning)
    Max Lightning(Put points in this up until Lightning Mastery)
    Max Chain Lightning(One point until L/LM are maxed, then max this)
    Max Lightning Mastery(Max as soon as possible)
    Max Nova(Max Last)
    1 Point Tele
    1 Point Static

You'll have fairly insane damage. Lightning Immune monsters will have to be handled by a merc, but that's not so bad.

For a FO Hybrid, my choice would be...
    Max Lightning
    Max Chain Lightning
    Max Lightning Mastery
    Max Orb
    1 Point CM
    1 Point Tele
    1 Point Static

That gives you around 7k Lightning, which is fairly low, but will do some damage. Other options are about 10 points in Orb(With CM it should be enough to handle regular LI monsters) and pump the rest into charged bolt to help synergize lightning/chain lightning.

6. Nightfish

That is pretty much exactly my build. Only that I have 10 in static instead of 1

7. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

Yeah, that's why you found L/CL to be useless. Just because it takes a few extra points from another skill to beef it up doesn't make it worthless. Dropping some out of orb(Most CI's could be handled with a low level orb if you know how to place them) and into Charged Bolt would've made her a lot better on the lightning side of things. It's kinda like you said with Lightning Fury. You'll find yourself using it to kill everything, not just PIs. Well with a FO/CL you'll find yourself using Orb most of the time to kill things and L/CL for CI's. You become an orb sorc with L/CL for backup, not a L/CL sorc with Orb for backup.

8. Nightfish

:lol: You never even saw my sorc in action and you tell me what she's become? :uhhuh: I never said it was useless. I said it takes long to kill. Which it does compared to other skills. With a decent level of static however I could run the pit on players 8 and kill at decent speed. So there. And no FO as main skill. :p

9. Hakai_no_Tenshi

Hakai_no_Tenshi IncGamers Member

I have a lvl 91 pure Lightning sorceress on USWest who is doing 29K lightning damage and ~10K chain lightning damage. She's a lot of fun and coupled with the Infinity runeword I gave her merc, she's pretty much unstoppable.

--T

10. BuddhaMind

BuddhaMind IncGamers Member

Say -- I'd love to know more about the strictly Lightning Sorceress -- how you planned your points, Merc choice, etc. Help?

Buddha Mind

11. Hakai_no_Tenshi

Hakai_no_Tenshi IncGamers Member

Don't quite remember most of her gear or exact stat points but it's mostly top end stuff since I'm pretty rich on USWest (made my wealth from DClone hunting and all the items I found in my private Baal runs when I was leveling to 99). If you need help/gear, message me on one of these accounts in about 4 hrs since I'm at work right now:

*hnt
    *hnt2
    *hnt4
    *hnt_hc

When I get home, I'll be able to check her for exact details. I was mostly toying around with builds I wanted to try out so I made a lvl 85 WW IK barb, lvl 91 Lightning sorc, lvl 92 Zealot (he's a lot of fun), level 85 Kickasin (not much fun) and now I'm playing Classic HC (only like 10 people on the entire realm playing it now).

You have to realize that the market on Bnet is pretty different from SP, so it's somewhat easier to get items if you have the right currency. One thing unusual about my sorc is that she is using a 35% fast cast Spirit monarch. Spirit requires a 4 socket shield and the lowest STR requirement non-paladin shield that can get 4 sockets is a monarch. I did not want to place so many stat points into STR even with the annihilus charm on her, so I gave her a mage plate Enigma which takes care of that. She's a lot of fun though ... she mows down anything in her path and can clear the Pit in an eye blink.

--T

12. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

Yes. I'm leet like that.

You should know these things by now, Fishy.