Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Lightning Sorceress and the countess

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by BuFa, May 25, 2005.

1. BuFa

BuFa IncGamers Member

Lightning Sorceress and the countess

Howdy !

I've been looking around the form and it seems the consensus is that a lightning sorceress is ideal for countess runs in hell.

Although that's kinda obious since lightning is the only thing that crazy woman is not immune to, I'd like to ask for some advice on what kind of other element I should go for.

I am building this sorceress for the sole purpose of rune finding. BUT if I could squeeze in a change of gear for MFing, that would be quite awesome =)

I've had a blizzard/meteor sorceress in the past, and although effective she didn't have very high damage numbers (4k for meteor and 1.9k blizzard on her mf gear - mainly tal's set w/o amulet and occulus).

Would someone versed in the ways of sorcery please give me some advice as to wheter there is a way to combine those two with higher damage output ?

Otherwise I'll stick to my perhaps not so smart plan and build 2 sorcies - 1 for MF and 1 for Countess runs.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

2. jjscud

jjscud IncGamers Member

A blizzard sorc would work great. Only the countess is cold immune. A blizz sorc could still make very fast runs and just let the merc kill the countess. She's also a top end mf'er.

The other thing I've seen is a Chain Lightning / Frozen Orb Sorc. This is quite similar to the Meteorb build except it uses CL instead.

3. Asmodeous

Asmodeous IncGamers Member

I have been doing hundreds of countess runs with my Forb/meteor sorceress with out any trouble.
    What I do is teleport straight into the countess room, drop a meteor on my merc who gets surrounded by her minions, then spam static field while waiting for the meteor. That usually kills most of her friends. Clean up any stragglers with a fireball or two or swap to forb for any fire immunes.
    Once the countess is alone, make sure she is half life from static field then stun lock her with telekenisis while the merc smacks her with a big stick of hurtyness. Takes about 30 seconds, tops.

4. slappy sam

slappy sam IncGamers Member

If you want to get real into it go with a pure light sorc and a pure blizz sorc. That's what I would do/am in the process of doing.

5. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

Hey, you stole my sorc routine!

Actually, I don't even bother with meteor. I just tele over, stand right behind merc and static maybe 3 times and then fireball right into the engaging pack. 2 or 3 fireballs and they are dead, static the Countess a couple of times 'til she's half dead and merc takes care of rest. Good idea about telekinesis though.

Check for loot!

6. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

I join the gentleman above, i am getting close to countess run #300 with my meteorb girl too. If you want a lightning sorc go for it, but don't make your choice depending on countess-killing capability, since any sorc with a semi-decent merc can kill her fast. (well, maybe pure blizzard might suffer slightly, due to the whole surrounding pack being cold immune...but than again, not with a good merc)
    If you want to pick a second tree for the lightning sorc, i would advise against meteor/blizzard since you won't have points for the synergies. FO and FW are two skills that don't sport synergies, and do decent damage. FO is more effective, FW is more stylish. (FO is less costy too, since it works well with CM 7 or so, while for FW you would want high FM)

7. jjscud

jjscud IncGamers Member

Yikes, I forgot the whole pack is CI, along with wraiths, they're both CI and physical immune. I forgot bacause I never notice, I've gone the two sorc route. One Lit Sorc and one Blizz sorc.

On a side note, I believe a Hammerdin is also a very viable choice, using vigor they can also get through the tower quite quickly and can mf other areas quite well too.

8. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

Well, there are lots of viable choices, though i doubt anything can beat teleport in terms of speed. (and i have yet to see an enigma in SP)
    I used to run it with a barb, just leaping over everything, with a not too bad map seed, he was only 20% or so slower than my sorc. And nobody said i had to kill the wraiths on the way. I fly higher:)

9. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

An Assassin with high level Burst of Speed and Cloak of Shadows would be able to run like mad.

Of course, nothing beats natural teleport of the sorceress.

10. farting bob

farting bob Banned

I have an assasin with slvl 16 BoS, and ican get to countess on hell within 90 seconds using my map where the WP is next to the tower. But if i get cornered, i lose alot of life trying to run past everything.

11. supermatt

supermatt IncGamers Member

your Meteor damage seems very low: you DID put points in the synergies right? also, why not Tal's Ammy? don't have one (it can be a bit of a biatch to find...)?

Tal's Ammy and Shako will add 4 to skills. run Meph lots if you need a Shako - he has one to give you

:) matt

12. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

My CL/FO sorc does great on countess runs. Problem is that I don't need mid level runes and finding a good countess map is a bit of a hassle. But if I wanted to run the countess that would be the gal for the job. :)

On a sidenote, a good CL/FO sorc is far from useless when it comes to running areas. Mine does about as well clearing the pit as my meteorb does. She's not quite as good vs meph but for areas she does alright. (especially with static field slvl > 15)

13. Lucky_Seven

Lucky_Seven IncGamers Member

I have a pure CL Sorc and she kills the countess very fast.
    It's one of the best countess runners Teleport + CL, and you don't need SF :D

14. BuFa

BuFa IncGamers Member

supermatt - yeah I have never been able to find one. All I have remaining right now are items that were in my necromancer's stash and a lv1 sorcie that had never been played =) My meteor damage was quite low indeed, I had only put a few points into FB.

I'd like to ask you all another question if that's not too much of a hassle though o.o :

How does your countess runner fare against hell mephisto/andariel?

I'm trying to be a lazy boy and make only one sorceress, but based on all your reports I can't seem to decide :lol: - they're all to good X_x

Thanks a lot for all the input too, all your comments are invaluable !

15. jjscud

jjscud IncGamers Member

Ahhh, you've found my deep dark secret. My countess runner (Pure lit sorc) reached countess at lvl 63 and ran her straight until lvl **. She's never met hell meph. I did just recently take on hell andy, lightning ripped her up quite quickly, and that skill is a synergy for CL and vise versa so it was natually strong for a CL sorc.

16. BuFa

BuFa IncGamers Member

A-HA ! I knew there was someth... uh wait there's nothing wrong with her -.- Dang.

I'm leaning towards the CL/FO build, since it looks pretty versatile for meph/countess/pindle (this last one I'm not so sure yet, any input is very welcome :thumbsup: ).

But the child has been born, and sporting an awesome lv 1 firebolt (from the newbie staff) and a massively high level of 5 ! w00t ! :D

17. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

well, my meteorb fares well against both. Andy doesn't like fire, so either meteor or FB gets her very fast. Against mephisto i either abuse the moat trick using meteors or let my merc tank him and use frozen orbs. both works, the latter is very slightly faster (and much less cheesy), but i don't have a shaftshop, so sometimes my merc ends up drinking an annoying amount of potions.
    I can imagine that a single tree build can do mephisto runs faster, due to the superior damage, but single tree builds have never been that charming for me.

18. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

Freya, lvl 83 sorceress:

Nova 20
    Thunderstorm 20
    LM 20
    TK 20
    Teleport 5
    Warmth 6

"Memory" on switch to put ES up.
    HotO
    Visc
    Griffon's
    2x SoJ
    Frostburn
    Archnid
    Waterwalk
    Powered amulet of Revivification
    5 lightning skillers w 2nd mods
    2 +mana gcs

Countess runs at players 1 (naturally) take 20-30 seconds, depending on the actual lightning resist of Countess (max 95% - 25% from Griffon's w facet).
    Using static is wasted time, 2-3 Novas wipes out the minions and the Countess 80% of the time, if not the Countess generally dies from a Thunderstorm hit. Only if Countess has max lightning resist or manages to stay out of Nova range the merc gets to poke her.

Of course there's a possibility of LIs around the Countess, but why bother with them when you're rune-hunting?