Lightning sorc ?

XtasyGrizzly

Diabloii.Net Member
Lightning sorc ?

I´m thinking of too start a lightning sorc , i have never played one before so i have some questions about them. i know that too mf on meph will take a long time to kill him :( maybe andy? pindle ? shenk ?

What´s your opinion?

- XG :clap:

Countess is pretty pointless for anything except mid level runes really. There is a list of commonly run areas and a list of possible immunities that dont spawn there, And i think the pits never ahs lightning immunes (except the occasional boss of course) so that would be a good place to start with.

Arreat_mercenary

Diabloii.Net Member
If I recall right the moo moo farm is an excelent place, since the cow king is Lightning Inmune, you can keep the portal open. Also the World Stone Keep and probably an ocasional pit run (like FB said). Good luck on the mf! ;)

Thov

Diabloii.Net Member
XtasyGrizzly said:
I´m thinking of too start a lightning sorc , i have never played one before so i have some questions about them. i know that too mf on meph will take a long time to kill him :( maybe andy? pindle ? shenk ?

What´s your opinion?

- XG :clap:
MFing with a lightning sorceress makes no sense in any place that I can think of. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure she would be fun to play, and there is no reason not to make one and take her through the game for the enjoyment of the character. However, when it comes to magic-finding, the most important thing is speed (assuming no particularly significant disparity in MF). It is unlikely that you can name a place where a lightning sorceress can kill faster than any other character, and in most places worth MFing, she is a lot slower. Blizzard sorceresses are much more effective for Mephisto, Pindleskin, Cows, and Ancient Tunnels. Pits are better run by hammerdins, meteor/FO sorcs, and fishys (fishies?). Baal runs can be done by a variety of characters, as it is by far the most diverse place to MF, and each character has its own strengths and weaknesses, but a lightning sorceress is unlikely to be among the characters that can do that in a respectable time.

My advice is that for MFing, stick to the standard cookie-cutters, they will simply be more effective in the long run. Variant characters are best suited to playing for fun, and while you can always stick some MF on your lightning sorceress while playing for some decent drops, she will never be a truly effective dedicated magic-finder.

Thirty-Thirty

Diabloii.Net Member
For what its worth, someone posted a list of areas that don't spawn immunities a while back. From that list, the areas that down spawn Lightning Immunes are:

Claw Viper Temple, Arcane Sanctuary, Chaos Sanctuary, Abaddon*, Pit of Acheron, Crystalline Passage, Infernal Pit*, Moo Moo Farm

* denotes those areas that can, but seldom, spawn LIs. I think those Doom Casters can be LI in the Chaos Sanctuary, so it should have a * too. Of those areas, I'm not sure which are Level 85, but I think some are (particularly the Pit of Acheron and Infernal Pit). At least it'd be an area no-one else does.

On the whole, I think the main reason a Lightning sorceress suffers in MF is because she needs FCR to make the lightning hurt like other sorceress skills. My 2c.

Derrick1001

Diabloii.Net Member
Thirty-Thirty said:
On the whole, I think the main reason a Lightning sorceress suffers in MF is because she needs FCR to make the lightning hurt like other sorceress skills. My 2c.
Exactly right. I have a light sorcie and she needs fast cast, alot. The damage is not spectacular, but the speed is very nice when you get fcr respectable. One caveat is that you can static a whole room and get them to half HP very quickly, so that helps a ton.

Toppo

Diabloii.Net Member
I've heard good things about CL/FO sorc* (yes, that's you Sint :D ).

That is, if you don't insist on going pure Lightning. Then you need a strong merc and 1337 telepr0tting skillz0rs. Of course, you get style points (at least from me) if/when you beat the game with a pure LI sorc. But for efficient MFing Blizzsorc or LFzon owns.

* Max CL, L, LM & FO. 1 pt in CM + utilities.

Shakes

Diabloii.Net Member
XtasyGrizzly said:
Ok , lighting sorcs are not so good to magic-find with :eek: good that u guys told me :p thanks
They have great potential, you just have to be insanely rune rich and play with the battle.net runewords. Then you can use this:

Infinity 4 Socket Polearms Ber + Mal + Ber + Ist
50% Chance To Cast Level 20 Chain Lightning When You Kill An Enemy
Level 12 Conviction Aura When Equipped
+35% Faster Run/Walk
+255-325% Enhanced Damage (varies)
-(45-55)% To Enemy Lightning Resistance (varies)
40% Chance of Crushing Blow
Prevent Monster Heal
0.5-49.5 To Vitality (Based on Character Level)
30% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Level 21 Cyclone Armor (30 Charges)

A lightning sorc holding one of those babies would break most immunities, and then with the -45-55% lightning resist absolutely clean up. The few unbreakables left shouldn't be hard for the merc to clean up. Things that aren't even lightning immune to start with should forget about trying to live. Can you say -100% resists?

Of course, good luck getting the runes. Ah well, one can dream. :p

bradley_turner

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, I made my lightning sorc with the sole intention of her being a hell countess runner, and it was well worth it, runs getting done between 30 secs and 40 secs including game loading time and pickup time is quite nice :D It also helps that I found the best map I've ever seen for the countess on my first try!

LprMan

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah, lgt sorc works best as a rune finder. She can kill Countess faster than anything else, with lots of FCR she can tele and open chests in LK and other areas. Also, there is no lgt immunes in Arcane and all the ghosts there have 4x rune drops. So far I haven't found another build which can clear Arcane as fast, but on the other hand, I think I am the only one who has ever ran that place :p

salvo

Diabloii.Net Member
i'll advocate for Lit sorcer
Lit soso excel at countess run and can match all other build for memph and pindle run. I need less than 30 second for both run at p3 with more than 300%mf, pindle is a bit faster. I also do baal run in less than 4 minutes (p1 at waves, p3 at baal himself)

Two profit of lit soso are free energy shield (+-absorb 75%dmg) and huge range of static field.
Griz, if you are going to build one, i suggest you to invest str enough for equipment, dex optional (zero or max block- i prefer zero), zero on life, rest on energy.

when i got the Powered amulet of luck i'll do more than just 6-30k damage. :thumbsup:

Derrick1001

Diabloii.Net Member
salvo said:
Lit soso excel at countess run and can match all other build for memph and pindle run. I need less than 30 second for both run at p3 with more than 300%mf, pindle is a bit faster. I also do baal run in less than 4 minutes (p1 at waves, p3 at baal himself)

Two profit of lit soso are free energy shield (+-absorb 75%dmg) and huge range of static field.
Griz, if you are going to build one, i suggest you to invest str enough for equipment, dex optional (zero or max block- i prefer zero), zero on life, rest on energy.

when i got the Powered amulet of luck i'll do more than just 6-30k damage. :thumbsup:
30,000 damage? How are you getting a range of 6-30K? That's like +19 to lightening skills. Even then, it's 35-30k. What's your equip setup?

Anywho, I just matted my pure light sorcie. She statics a whole 800x600 screen now :) .

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member
I think that rich lightning sorc could be very good Baal-runner, none of his minions spawns LI naturally and all LI monsters' immunities in Throne room can be broken by Lower resist. Or you can do CL/FO hybrid.

XtasyGrizzly

Diabloii.Net Member
salvo said:

Holy **** ... that´s amazing!!!! , but what eq do you use ? i bet its some rich man equipment :uhhuh: