Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Lightning Sorc Build?

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Arthial, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Arthial

Arthial IncGamers Member

Lightning Sorc Build?

I have looked over this forum and have found several builds/guides to the Lightning Sorc, I have been wanting to make one, but w/o a definitive guide, I have been timid to start one, can anyone post their build as well as base stats (I know enough of this and that for gear, :p) Also how well can I do w/o a infinity merc, will I be totally crippled?

2. Shanksie1337

Shanksie1337 IncGamers Member

Re: Lightning Sorc Build?

You've found several build/guides, but not a definitive one? :confused: There's always the option to respec, so it's not as vital as it once was.

I'm sure the answers are already out there, there must be umpteen guides/threads etc on Lite sorcs as they are almost the "new hammerdins".

I've not made one yet (about to make an Infinity, so one is on the cards), but 1 pure element is going to struggle with LI's unless the merc has good damage / gear. You can probably teleport past some of the LI's but you are going to slow right down if/when faced with an LI you need to kill.

My preference = wait for Infinity :).

3. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

You can survive without infinity but I recommend getting your hands on a lower resist wand or dagger in the meantime. You'll be able to break some immunes that way and your damage versus anything really tough will be much improved, too. You will also need a source of -ELR. Griff, facets, full tal's, or a Crescent Moon weapon. Even if they lower your lightning damage on the character screen significantly (Crescent moon) the -ELR will more than make up for that.

4. Scudstorm

Scudstorm IncGamers Member

A full Tal's light sorc with EInsight merc is able a handle most areas flawlessly. The most annoying areas are those with Storm Chasers, who will flee as you attempt to telestomp them. Some LI archer packs should be treated with care, as well.

As for skills... max Lightning + mastery + synergies (save Nova for last). You will be able to max them all, so no rocket science here ;)

5. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

If you know enough about gear, you should grasp that your stats are based around gear entirely.

There are variants, as your gear decides your variant. A 200 fcr will have next to no options in gear choices, whereas 117fcr has a great deal more freedom.

Without an infinity, you're better off with a dual elemental - pure lite effectively evolved around Infinity - while a lower resist on switch can allow one to make do, its not very efficient.

If an Infinity is out of reach, I wouldn't recommend this build.

Skill wise - 20 points in everything in middle lite tree, 20 in nova, 1 in teleport 1 static field - adjust as necessary ;)

6. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

In my opinion, you either go full force with 200 fcr full vita or with a max block + Energy shield full energy 117.

7. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

Es is no good in pvm.

8. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

Why do you say this?

9. droid

droid IncGamers Member

ES is good in PvM

Max block is no good for non-melee sorcs in PvM...too much dex to get to max block with a Spirit Monarch, and you give up the res and mana and +skills if you try to use Whitstans or Mosers or Stormshield instead.

Plus, ES users get to pump ENE, and the big mana pool is nice since Light tree is mana-hungry. And if you use Insight, you have so much crazy regen with a big ENE pool and Medi that ES sucks up a good chunk of your damage for basically free.

10. SeCKSEgai

ES isn't "No good" in pvm - but it does have it's limitations.

I'm not an ES user, but I focus on damage and FCR so no points for synergies.

That and I hate the mana curse and mana burn.

11. Scudstorm

Only use ES if you don't need the skill points and need the extra survivability.

In other words, on most PvM non-melee sorcs it's pretty trash.

12. WizardGurl

WizardGurl IncGamers Member

As a sorc. player i would recomend you to start slowly and do not try to focus on one skill.

13. michaeljay

michaeljay IncGamers Member

Today I found my second Ber of the season, so I at long last assembled my lite sorc. I'm a life long devotee to the pure Blizz sorc, so I was interested in comparing these two builds. A list of advantages and disadvantages of the lite sorc relative to the Blizz sorc (not in general as a build):

Advantages:

Few immunes; you very very very rarely have to abort a lvl83+ area. My cold sorc had to jump ship about 1/4 of the time. I like not having to quit a flayer spawn in the Hall of Pain because those flesh spawners showed up.

Damage. Even though it's clearly sporadic, lightning's damage is just sick. Spam, rinse, repeat.

Easier Baal and CS Runs. My cold sorc could run CS relatively quickly, even on players 8. The lite sorc can go faster. My cold sorc took her sweet time handling Baal; a bad Throne spawn (CI ghouls) meant a lot of time waiting for my merc to take care of business. He also had to painstakingly clear each and every minion of Achmel the Cursed (whatever; I still don't know his proper name, after all these years). Baal himself on players 8 took close to forever. No more.

Disadvantages:

Cannot use ES reliably. To those who do it...I ask how? If I use ES with my lite sorc, my mana gets drained very quickly. I hadn't stopped casting ES for the first hour of gameplay, so I thought the lite sorc flat out sucked. Once I stopped casting ES, the build's strength became apparent.

More careful gameplay. Because I cannot use ES, and more importantly because I cannot spam blizzard and teleport to safety, I have to lay back and take my time mowing my opponents down.

Popping potions. It's no secret that the lite sorc is mana intensive. But even though I have to drink more mana potions than I'm used to (which is none), it's not THAT big of a deal; if I need a lot of lightning to take mobs down, then it's because I'm in a players > 5 game, and if that's the case then mana potions will be popping like crazy.

THE ANNOYING SOUND OF CONVICTION.

14. droid

droid IncGamers Member

I think that's a somewhat myopic evaluation, michaeljay. I've never played pure blizz, but I can tell you that a properly played pure light sorc shouldn't have mana or ES issues like you're describing...are you using CtA? CtA, with a hearty investment in Energy, should give you all the max mana/mana regen you need for both casting Lightning and to keep your ES active, as long as you're not running gung-ho into melee range like a Barb for some reason. TP to a medium distance, pop a couple SFs if its a high-player game, and then Lightning till they're crispy, while your merc should take all the shots.

I currently run a CL/FO with Infy merc, which plays basically the same as a pure Light sorc for the most part, and with 2000+ mana I dont have a problem with my ES or having to pot constantly.

I also turned the sound effects off :)

15. michaeljay

Droid you may be correct. When I switched to lite, I had been playing like my blizzsorc - teleport anywhere I wanted, drop a blizz, teleport out, repeat, blah blah. But you cannot play that way with a lite sorc, clearly. Now the real problem is, I suspect, that the lite sorc cannot sustain a hybrid ES build the way a Blizz sorc can. My Blizz sorc pumped vitality and had put no points into ES and just cast it on switch from a +2 ES orb. The build was very durable and safe, and she went from level 91 to level 95 without dying. But here, as you've implied by saying you have 2k mana :p, you may need to either go all out in terms of pumping ES and energy, or leave those skills alone. Without any points in energy, my sorc's ES becomes too fragile.

I really love this build though and see why everyone else does too. I even woke up a bit early before work to run CS a couple of times. :)

16. SeCKSEgai

Blizzard can afford to drop points in ES synergies to make it worthwhile for pvm/pvp. Lite uses all points for synergies for the sake of damage output.

Just like droid says, a CTA is nearly a requirement for the build - if you can put together the Infinity Merc/Infinity (worn on self) that shouldn't be hard to come by. You won't be tanking, but you won't be near death by mana burn either.

I've found I can be lazier on ES/Blizz, but pure lite will outperform it in just about every scenario.

17. droid

droid IncGamers Member

Rather its the other way around....pure light needs to invest a lot in Energy and CTA just to have the mana regen she needs to spam L/CL without an Insight merc, so you might as well go ES to put that mana to defensive use as well and go all out :)

I dont think you need to invest in the full 40 points you need for a 95% ES build, but rather just the 1 pt ES with all your +skills and +lightning skills, so that its offsetting a good chunk of your damage, but not so much that it breaks itself.

18. michaeljay

Yeah I've got CTA, and after respecing she's having no trouble at all clearing any area and having enough mana. I put an Enigma on her today and I'm loving the results. Resists are low (though I've got a healthy number of resist SCs, and I've got lightning resist maxed), but the killing speed cannot be matched. I've got about 120 in energy total, and she never runs out of mana anymore.

19. Scudstorm

Nah, CtA + SoJ covered energy costs for me :p (Actually, CtA + SoJ on a full Tal's light sorc, and CtA + 1 serpent's GC of vita on a rw/uniques light sorc as I didn't find a SoJ that season)

~1000 mana @ base energy, and only potting vs manaburns.

Try CoH. Enigma isn't that good a choice for sorcs unless you don't need your armor slot for anything, which you clearly do as nearly every other sorc out there.

20. SeCKSEgai

If you build for pure lite, you don't have to drop much into energy at all, and you can get away with none at all with proper gear and charms. Pure lite is truly a vit build considering the point investments and fcr - @200fcr especially so.

I don't recommend 1 point ES because you're still having to drop heavily into your red bubble to make up for what ES doesn't absorb (no synergy means more mana burned than actual hp would have been lost), not to mention its a frustrating death when a simple teleport would save you but you die from a nasty mana burn.