Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

lightning mfer

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by PraetorianX, May 9, 2005.

1. PraetorianX

PraetorianX Guest

lightning mfer

I have never made a pure lightning sorc yet, but i've done both fire, cold, meteorb, and cl/fo builds. I'm looking for something new that i can have fun and magic find with. Pure lightning looks pretty fun, but how well does it do mfing? Are there good areas with not many lightning immunes? And how does the moat trick on mephisto work with lightning/chain lightning?

I am also considering a FO/ES sorc as well. How do these two compare? Take in consideration that i am not very diablo rich either, if that affects the recommendation. :uhhuh:

Thx! :thumbsup:

2. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

If you're only going to run Mephisto, Frozen Orb is much better than Lightning...Also with a strong merc (Shaftstop/Gaze/Kelpie Snare,Reaper's Toll) you don't need the Moat trick.

Fully synergised lightning sorceresses should be able to run Baal well, since only the third boss can be lightning immune...However sometimes the throne room will be full of Gloams, which is very very bad.

If you're just going to run Mephisto I'd recommend Frozen Orb or even better Blizzard but if you just want to have fun choose the build that appeals the most to you!

3. PraetorianX

PraetorianX Guest

well, that helps... kinda :lol: thanks though! Anyway, i realize the moat trick is not necessary, but sometimes i run outta money on my merc and i get lazy, so would it work very well?

Are there any lvl85 spots without lightning immunes?

- i hate decisions :lol:

4. alexzed

alexzed IncGamers Member

I just posted this - but Hell Meph is really tough with lightning. And Baal? Forget it. You'd need a merc with a kazillion HP to stand up to that onslaught.

As for level 85 places - the pit, although there are some LI's, is the best place. Once you see the arrows coming at you from offscreen, tele back, and slowly advance using orb or blizzard (even low level) and the merc will take care of the rest.

5. Jimi-

Jimi- IncGamers Member

i saw a good lightning sorc with infinity merc slaughter baal so its not impossible

6. xeyloderixed

xeyloderixed IncGamers Member

second jimi's statement, although sorks like those are really, really godly. godly in the rune of hoto/coh/ss/shako/arach/2soj/anni/10 skillers/infinity (the godliest i ever saw; she had over 30k lightning i heard)

7. alexzed

alexzed IncGamers Member

Not sure how you'd get to 30k lightning...

I have: Griffon, Eschtuas, Arac, Spirit, Chain Light Ormus, +3 Light ammy and 3 skillers and my CL is level 36, and I have 4k light damage (top end, obviously)

Adding 7 more skillers and two sojs would bump me to about 7-9k I'd say - so how would you get to 30k??? Actually - that would be a good side topic!

But back to the original - I don't have infinity (yet) so can't say how that would work, but know that without Infinity on my merc, I don't even think of MFing. Besides, when my stash is full of skillers, and my inv full of light stuff - what room for MF is there? Just a thought...

8. PraetorianX

PraetorianX Guest

Thanks for all the input. i dont have much confidence that mfing will be very effective with a lightning sorc from this post, so nows the time to say that my lightning sorc who turned 31 last night will soon be up to personal testing by me :lol: . Appears i made a rash decision, but anyway if it doesnt work, i can always try the FO/ES sorc. Atleast i can say i made a light sorc now :clap:

thx guys! if anyone has any advice still on mfing with my light sorc, please feel free to let me know :)

9. jmorocks

jmorocks IncGamers Member

keep the lightning sorc for pvp! it'll be fun =P

with orb, you don't need to moat for meph, just sidestep whenever he fires his cold ball, but your fully synergized eshield + mana should be able to take the damage, even better if you can block it 75%.

10. bevilsworld

bevilsworld IncGamers Member

The pure lightning sorc is very viable all you have do to is use lightning as your main spell and max the synergies and light mastery. With about 17-20 to plus skills from items you can reach 46K lightning damage. (You can get that many plus skills pretty easily too) Then to deal with lightning immunes get a good barb merc with azureblade and he can deal with most of them just fine

11. xeyloderixed

xeyloderixed IncGamers Member

lightning, not chain lightning. almost every lightning sork ive seen (including myself) uses lightning over the clunky chain lightning. it's not hard to position yourself so the monsters are lined up, and lightning is far superior to cl in terms of damage.

12. PraetorianX

PraetorianX Guest

My lightning sorc is now lvl 68, and I am having no doubts this will be the most fun ive had with a sorc. Not bad damage either :) thx for the continuing tips. I have never really used a barb merc much, i didnt know they could use 1H weapons. Oh well, learn something every day. I will definately take one for a spin :clap: