[Build] Lightning Archon GR 68+

nerdwards

Diabloii.Net Member
The build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#elSQmf!Zbhi!Ybb.bZ

*There are some variations on skill setup on this build. I use blizzard+magic weapon. Some use frost nova - deep freeze because the rune gets applied to the FN's from you APD'S. But with SOH cubed, I prefer blizzard. more on this in a second.

The gear:

Vyr's Set pieces
-------------------
Head: Vyr's (Int/Vit/Crit/Socket with Diamond) *REQUIRED
Chest: Vyr's (Int/Vit/Armor/Sockets with Topaz) *REQUIRED
Shoulder: Vyr's (Int/Vit/Life%/CDR *REQUIRED
Gloves: Vyr's (Int/CC/CD/Vit or CDR *REQUIRED
Pants: Vyr's (Int/Vit/Armor/Socket with Topaz) *REQUIRED
Boots: Vyr's (Int/Vit/Armor/Res All) *REQUIRED

Off-set pieces
-----------------
Belt: Fazula's Improbable Chain (Int/Vit/Armor/ % life) *REQUIRED
Bracer: Ancient Parthan Defender's (Lightning damage/Int/Vit/CC) *REQUIRED

Weapon: Chantodo's Will (DMG%/Int/Vit or CDR/ Gift for socket) *REQUIRED
Offhand: Chantodo's Force (Int/Vit/CC/APOC *REQUIRED

Jewelry
---------
Ring 1: Halo of Arlyse (Int/CD/CC or CDR/ Socket) *REQUIRED
Ring 2: Convention of Elements (Int/CC/CD/Socket)
Alternate ring: Unity <----------great for solo play, though I still use COE in solo, its still a viable option

Amulet: Best amulet you have with CC/CD/Socket/ and either lightning damage or Int

For the amulet slot you really want a Mara's long term to help with the RNG a bit when fishing rifts. Poison makes up a good chunk of the boss pool. But any immunity ammy, or Moonlight Ward or Eye of Etlitch or a decent Hellfire will suffice

Cube:
-------
Weapon: Furnace/Aether Walker/Shard of Hate/Fulminator (There is a lot of debate about this so it is all about personal preference. Personally, I prefer Aether Walker for TX games and SOH for solo. Fulminator and Furnace are great, but SOH does better single target dps than fulminator and still affects trash mobs, unlike furnace.)

Armor: Swami *REQUIRED
Jewelry: Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac *REQUIRED

Legendary Gems:
----------------------
Gogok of Swiftness
Bane of the Trapped
Bane of the Stricken for progression, Pain Enhancer for farming

The playstyle:

Archon is all about ramping up the stacks and utilizing the Halo of Arlyse frost nova proccs with your APD'S (ancient parthan defenders) to keep you alive.

Outside of Archon: Tele in to large pack, channel Arcane Torrent while casting blizzard on the right click every .5 seconds or so. We do this so that the cast from AT and Blizzard simultaneously bring Archon's cooldown back up and to build Chantodo stacks. This is important to remember. Always get the full 20 stacks of Chantodo's before entering archon. Chant's does 90% of our damage. Going in without will leave you hitting like a wet noodle, though sometimes I start my rift off with a no chant stack archon run just to get some early rift stacks.

Utilizing the nova procs is key, but it is important to remember the CC changes this patch and not to stay still too long. You are playing the Diminishing return game. Tele in and wait for 1 freeze, then the second, all while doing the damage you can, then tele to the next pack of dense mobs dragging them with. Large packs of mobs frozen around you is what keeps you alive in the build, so use them! And rift with confidence! Being gunshy will get you killed.

Inside of Archon: First and foremost, activate slow time. It's great for avoidance and reducing missile damage. It will stay active the entire duration of Archon. After that It's all about building stacks in the early rift. skip elites and slow to die mobs in lieu of getting more stacks up on the first go around. Then once you have built up some stacks, seek out those mobs and finish them off. As with most wizard builds there is a slight amount of kiting involved, but only the higher up you go in difficulty.

Your prime time dps will come during lightning phase of Convention of Elements. Time it well!

May post some vids soon. Post any questions you have below! Happy Zapping!

For visualization for now check out this vid from Fevir!

Feel free to add me in game or follow me on twitter for any advice. I'm always happy to help!

Battletag: n3rdwards#1636
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/n3rdwards

Last edited:

maareek

Diabloii.Net Member
Very nice writeup, it's always good to see more than just a video for this kind of thing. If I get back around to my Wizard I'll definitely give Shard of Hate a try instead of Furnace since that sounds pretty interesting.

Good guide overall, though I think this point might need even more emphasis:
though sometimes I start my rift off with a no chant stack archon run just to get some early rift stacks.
since the level of food a wiz is with no archon stacks is hard to overstate. With ob/zod it's not too bad getting Archon off cooldown and the IAS from your Archon stacks help in getting up Chantodo's stacks, so there's considerable value in firing off a near zero dps Archon at the start of the rift especially if you have a rough spawn.

Also might not hurt to point out that it's easy for the Convention of Elements icon above your bar to get pushed off and leave you needing to look at your character to see what element you're currently on.

And I assume it's in the video, but in case people don't watch it's probably worth pointing out that the first thing you do once you go into Archon is put on Slow Time. It's pretty obvious, but a guide should include the obvious for those who don't have any experience.

nerdwards

Diabloii.Net Member
Very nice writeup, it's always good to see more than just a video for this kind of thing. If I get back around to my Wizard I'll definitely give Shard of Hate a try instead of Furnace since that sounds pretty interesting.

Good guide overall, though I think this point might need even more emphasis:

since the level of food a wiz is with no archon stacks is hard to overstate. With ob/zod it's not too bad getting Archon off cooldown and the IAS from your Archon stacks help in getting up Chantodo's stacks, so there's considerable value in firing off a near zero dps Archon at the start of the rift especially if you have a rough spawn.

Also might not hurt to point out that it's easy for the Convention of Elements icon above your bar to get pushed off and leave you needing to look at your character to see what element you're currently on.

And I assume it's in the video, but in case people don't watch it's probably worth pointing out that the first thing you do once you go into Archon is put on Slow Time. It's pretty obvious, but a guide should include the obvious for those who don't have any experience.
I edited the post to mention slow time. Completely overlooked it. Thanks! and Thanks for the feedback! I'm going to do a post about my group build once I can decide on what I like the best.