Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Lightn / Fire Sorc build

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by woofvov, Mar 27, 2004.

1. woofvov

woofvov IncGamers Member

Lightn / Fire Sorc build

Hi. Noob to Sorcs in LOD. Built a few other successful chars. Have not seen a Ligtn/fire sorc. I am sure there are threads out there. Can someone point me to them or give me a brief build guide (am interest to know what worked, what didn't)? PvP or PvM or both. Thanks!

2. Sessily

Sessily IncGamers Member

Thing is, there is no real heavy hitter in either tree that would allow you to maintain good killing speed if you chose to specialize in both. Either would work incredibly well synergized, but alone none of the skills really shine. I suppose if you really wanted to do Light/Fire you could do a Firewall/synergized Chain Lightning build but Firewall really isn't that great. On the other hand, mixing Fire with Cold or Lightning with Cold would work exceptionally well because Frozen Orb works great alone unsynergized and only requires a few points in cold mastery unlike the others.

3. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

skill 1:
    20 mastery
    20 skill
    skill 2:
    20 mastery
    20 skill
    1 teleport
    1 warmth

frozen orb gets a huge discount because you don't need any cold mastery. it kills well without any, which is why you see more cold/something sorcs.

4. mathil

mathil IncGamers Member

not many fire/light builds work. the effective dual tree builds now have one synergized skill and one non-synergized skill. this is because non-synergized skills use 40 skill points and synergized skills use 60-80 skill points. there are not enuf skill points to use 2 synergized skills and you are left with extra skill points if you use 2 synergized skills.

this is also why orb is the popular choice for the non-synergized skill (the synergy is pathetic and i would never use it, so it doesn't count). orb doesn't require the full 40 skill point investment. cold mastery can be stopped at lvl 17 (after +skills). that leaves more skill points for the synergized skill.

anyways, when you look at fire and lightning, there isn't a good option for a non-synergized skill. hydra is a maybe, but it isn't good pvm. firewall depends too much on the enemy standing still. TS is horrible pvm and is weaker pvp in v1.10 than it was in 1.09. nova is straight horrible.

the main synergized skills are: CL/L/CB for lightning and meteor/FB/Fb for fire (blizzard for cold).

you might be able to go with CL/hydra, CL/firewall, meteor/TS. i personally wouldn't use them for the above reasons, but they would be workable.

5. woofvov

woofvov IncGamers Member

thanks for the feedback. I will mess around with one of the build concepts and maybe take some lessons from the archmage build.....

will report back if i make it past nm and again if i survive hell....

if not, i will stick with a 'generic' meteorb type build.... :thumbsup:

6. Nathanjk

Nathanjk IncGamers Member

If it doesn't work dont do meteorb do CL/Orb. CL/Orb is way more fun imo. However you will need to have alot more resourses to do CL.

7. Fray

Fray IncGamers Member

I am also thinking of Fire/Lightning and was finding the preplanning kind of disappointing for much of the same reasons above.

What do you mean by needing more resources?
    Would you explain it to me please?

8. Nathanjk

Nathanjk IncGamers Member

Well I think CL is alot of fun. However you need a second element and the only one I think it worth it is orb.

As for you need more resources I dont think that a CL sorc would be near as much fun unless you have alot of wealth(Good items). Here is my sorc setup.

25/19 griffons. I Love this for the - res.
    Occy with 15% res all jewel
    Bramble for the life after kill and FHR
    SS with p diamond
    Tals ammy. Maras if you need more resistances but I like the life and mana from tals
    2 sojs. I really need the mana.
    Trangs gloves I used to use these to achieve the 117% breakpoint with CL but since I switched out my viper I should change these gloves. The cold res is nice though.
    Aldurs boots. The fire res and life are great.
    Arach mesh.
    CTA with lidless on switch.

I also use 7 lightning GCs with life and some small charms to finish off resistance and add life.

You dont need all of this stuff but IMO you should have alot of comparable stuff for the build to be alot of fun. If not then I would go for the Meteorb build.

There is also a sticky about CL/Orb that you may want to check out.