Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Light Sorc Build - Critique

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Khronikx, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Khronikx

Khronikx IncGamers Member

Light Sorc Build - Critique

To start... I know there have been many posts regarding a pure light sorc, but most I have seen are regarding PvP statistics.. Im looking for a pretty straight forward answer on my proposed build for MF

Pure Lightning Sorceress
    Stats
    Str 156
    Dex Max block?
    Vit Dump
    Energy Base

Skills
    20 - Charged Bolt
    20 - Lightning
    20 - Chain Lightning
    20 - Lightning Mastery
    ** - Nova
    1 - Shiver Armor
    1 - Warmth
    1 - Teleport
    1 - Thunder Storm (for shts n giggles mostly shts)

Gear
    Helm Griffons
    Body Enigma
    Belt Arachnid
    Gloves Chancies
    Boots War Travs
    Ammy Mara's
    Rings SOJx2
    Weapon Hoto
    Shield Spirit Monarch

Mercenary Act2 Holy Freeze
    Helm Eth Vamp Gaze
    Body Eth Treachery
    Weapon Eth CA Infinity

Would this work for damage output/survivability MFing Act1-5?
    Any suggestions on what to and not to MF for max wealth income with this 1.13 patch?

p.s. I do not have this gear yet, but if possible to make a light sorc equal/better to an Hdin, im all for it

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  2. BAMFSpecialOps

BAMFSpecialOps IncGamers Member

Re: Light Sorc Build - Critique

Ok let's see what we got.

The fcr breakpoint most aim for with Lightning/Chain Lightning is 117%.
    25-Griffs
    20-Arach
    40-Hoto
    35-Spirit
    120%-Got the breakpoint.

If using Spirit Monarch do NOT even attempt max block.

IMO no need for enigma on a sorc, use CoH/Vipermagi.

With an Infinity merc you should have no trouble at all in the game.

3. Khronikx

thats what i was thinking (regarding enigma), but I came up with this build after reviewing multiple builds..

now if I swap Enigma for CoH, my MF will be (if travs+chancies are perfect) 115%, without gheeds or smfc's... is that enough?

would switching Spirit for an SS be worth it? I dont think id be able to hit the FCR bp doing that even after swapping chancies for magefists
    just go pure vit, forget about block?

4. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

After extended use, I would recommend considering a 200fcr lite sorc - Mf is harder to equip, but it really goes with the whole lightning fast combat.

I wouldn't recommend max block on a lite sorc because of the fcr demands - you don't gain enough survivability to justify the damage decrease (different shields for max block)

You don't need any MF to MF - the idea is to load up on what you can, but ultimately its luck and amount of total kills that decides just what you find.

5. BAMFSpecialOps

My lite sorc had a set up compared to yours, but currently I'm trying the 'hold infinity, toss insight on merc' nova set up, and loving it. MF is a little harder to come by on most light sorcs rather than say a hammerdin but in the end kill speed>tons of mf.

6. SeCKSEgai

The only reason I don't go infinity wielding sorc is i've gotten too accustomed to 200fcr -other than that, if you have the wealth its definitely a build to consider

7. Khronikx

in that case wouldnt a Hdin be better either way since they have better survivability?

... need to know asap cuz i just MFd a griffons with my light sorc

8. BAMFSpecialOps

With my sorc holding the Infinity and merc holding Insight(Nova/Es build) I can easily go throughout the game. I have done 8 person hell rushes, 5 person baal games, etc. Personally I wish I would have tried this combo sooner.

9. SeCKSEgai

Hdins depend on your hunting areas - since they finally fixed the hammers piercing magic immunes, they're a LOT slower running baal. My hdin basically lives at the Pandemonium Fortress because no one I have is faster overall at clearing seals at speed. My lite sorc is just as fast, until a seal boss spawns immune, then its having to wait for merc, slowing me down quite a bit.

The biggest problem I have always had with hdins is that spin - in confined areas its really irritating, especially when I'm used to sorcs and sins. My pure lite 200 fcr sorc will smoke through pits and baal typically, so unless you really enjoy hdins or really hate sorcs, I would say a lite sorc is better overall (with the right gear).

10. Ravenheart

Ravenheart IncGamers Member

I've started using a lite sorc recently w/ Infinity and for the most part its a quick mf'er if used right.

To answer some of your questions though and just random answers...

1.)Mfing in general is alot about total kills than just stacking alot of mf; tho having a decent amount of mf eq on will yield more frequent results in drops; not neccesarely quality but quantity.

2.)Mfing area's are more less the same tbh; you just need to find what area's best suit you and what your comfortable with to clear the fastest to rack up a large amount of total kills in the least amount of time.

3.)Your Eq setup is just find and should suffice by all means; the enigma may not be neccesary though and a coh would be better IMO; tho if your using the nigma just for mf, you would be better off using a skullders,lol

4.) A lite sorc is one of the better mf'ers in the game I believe but in comparison to a din; I think its more about personal preference to a point; so I wouldnt worry about the comparison.

Personally I went a cheaper route and just went full tals(Near perf set+ Ptopaz Tal Armor,"Um" tal helm,Lite Facet Orb), w/ 41 travs, 21 gheeds and i got more than enough mf for general killing; im using two PNagels as well but i could easily go Duel Soj and use PChancies and not lose much mf really.

Overall your setup should work just fine; just find a "Line" you like to hammer out (no pun intended there) per Mf run and see what you can find ( You may have to experiment some if more mf would rlly be worth the investment at the cost of switching our pieces of your eq)

11. Khronikx

If I can I want to use a sorc rather than an Hdin

Im wondering though if a sorc is going to die everytime sumthin hits her, whereas a hdin has holy shield so his block is automatically better which = better survivability?

Also I got lucky and picked up a griffons in a baal run game, crappy stats but free no complaining here..

At the moment Im using this:
    Full Tals
    War Travs
    Magefists
    Nagel x2
    Spirit Mon

Merc:
    Crap non-eth Insight
    Shako
    Griz Armor

as you can tell the merc is just there for the mana basically at the moment

I would like to be able to run anything from countess-baal, right now I can only run andy, countess, pits, meph if im lucky.

12. SeCKSEgai

Sorcs are basically glass cannons - reduced survivability for improved damage output

The only thing that my hdin can survive well that my sorc can't is exploding dolls - but even then, all my sorc does is use the merc to tank them so they don't explode on her.

Don't know why Meph is giving you trouble unless you still haven't spec'd into vit yet - on bnet its harder to get to him (with all the map changes) than it is to kill him.

I don't use my lite sorc on chaos because of the possibility of seal bosses spawning unbreakable lite immunities - but in general she can go anywhere and confined areas which really nerf my hdin (or any for that matter) she shines. With Baal, the only pain (aside from the 5 waves in general) is if Lister spawns immune, but if you're solo you can just lure him out of Baal's view if he's taking too long.

They're all the same in that you basically kill the same stuff - yet they don't play the same so they're not really the same are they? People have their favorites, just like how you keep gravitating towards an hdin - which is fine since hdins are popular for a reason.

13. Khronikx

i can kill meph, it just takes awhile after using static, lacking power it seems

plus my merc cant survive anything really, = glass with no cannon

14. SeCKSEgai

Whats your damage and fcr?

If you're doing meph, you can use moat to keep him at a safe distance, tho if you don't keep on eye on merc, he'll get Meph's attention and get killed by range anyway.

15. Ravenheart

Ravenheart IncGamers Member

A merc will tend to die alot if it isnt equipped well in general; plus if you dont support him in groups or nasty mod packs; he isn't going to tank much anyways.

Meph isn't too bad...or shouldn't be. for the most part my greatest chance of dying comes from tele'ing to meph thru exploding dolls..

As for the previous statements; I do believe we have favorite class's like any game but not best class's. Alot of it comes down to preference really. You may have strong all around builds; but best is a pretty subjective term to throw around really; though I will admit paladins do seem to be a pretty overpowered class at times, but thats here nor there.