Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

---Light Javazon PVP guide --- (final)

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by tinncann25, Aug 30, 2006.

1. tinncann25

tinncann25 IncGamers Member

---Light Javazon PVP guide --- (final)

SEE POST NUMBER 55 FOR A GUIDE UPDATE.

Introduction To PVP Javazon

This is a guide for a Player vs. Player charged strike and lightning fury Javazon. This build is designed to reach 9k+ charged strike damage and 3.5k+ lightning fury damage and become a formidable dueler in pub and clan dueling games.

Stat Point Distribution

Strength- It is important for you to place enough strength to end at the 156 mark at the end of your +strength gear
    Dexterity- Enough to achieve max block with stormshield or enough to wear you javelins (if you choose to use faceted shields instead of stormshield)
    NOTE make sure you put points into this skill every level, because your block will drop.
    Vitality- Every last point
    Energy- nothing

NOTE: with +strength and dexterity gear you will look naked, which is awesome! =p

Skill Point Distribution

Javelin and Spear (max)
    Charged strike
    Lightning fury
    Lightning bolt
    1-2 other synergies of charged strike
    -All extra points go to next synergy

Passive

Dodge/Avoid/Evade – 1 point into each of these, these skills are why amazons don’t get hit in duels.
    Critical strike – 1 point
    Pierce/slow missile – pierce is necessary for dueling necros and druids with summons and slow missile is good for ranged attackers, amazons =p
    Valkyrie – not a PvM build, ignore

Items

Weapon – only two options Tstroke and Titans

Titan’s Revenge– Optimally upped and eth, titans are huge in team duels because of their stack size and regeneration ability. They are ok for 1 v 1 but Thunder stroke is better. Remember you cannot repair eth titans, so if they run out you wait.
    Thunderstroke – Absolutely godly with its added damage, 4skills is necessary. However only 80 javelins and no regeneration means you need to repair, About 8k gold per repair.

Shield – 3 options

Stormshield – This is optimal, recommended, necessary, and all of the above. Percent damage reduction and resistance and block. Down side is no addition to skills.
    Spirit – This is a mediocre choice. It has the resistance, faster hit recovery and skills, but lacks anything too special. This will give you mediocre survivability and mediocre damage. Stormshield if you want to live long and faceted shields for most damage.
    Faceted monarch – absolutely amazing with deflection mod. Gives you block and huge damage. However lacks the percent damage reduction from stormshield and the resistance from both shields above.

Helm – 3 options

Griffons – no question. Facet it and you won’t be disappointed
    120/45 – More of a bowzon helm, but have seen it used effectively because of its speed and additional physical damage.
    Rare – 30frw/sockets for facet/ 2 skills makes this somewhat decent, but is extremely expensive, again a bowzon helm.

Amulet – 4 amulets

Highlord’s Wrath – lightning resistance and skill and IAS. This is your amulet against anything you need damage over speed for and when you need the light resistance.
    Cat’s eye – your default amulet, the faster run/walk is absolutely godly for an amulet. You run up to anything and you run away from anything
    Mara’s Kaleidoscope – For the skills and resistance obviously. I would take either of the above over this but it gives you more damage and more survivability so its definitely an option
    Nokozan Relic ammy – your amulet for anything that has fire damage. I used this against a psn necro to negate the fire golem pulse. Use it!

Armor – seriously…only one option

Chains of Honor – skills, resistance, percent damage reduction, and +strength
    Enigma - …if u really want to use this its got strength and skills, but you will lack resistance

Belt – 3 options

Thunder God’s Valor – Cheap and good. Gives you 40 stats and a beefed up lightning fury
    Verdungo’s Hearty Cord – get one with 40vit (same as the strength and dexterity bonuses on the tgods) cause percent damage reduction doesn’t matter after stormshield and coh =p. It has the faster hit recovery to make you shine.
    Rare –faster hit recovery, life, resistance and +strength Get one …craft one

Gloves –

Rare – 3jav skills and 20ias
    Rare – 2jav skills and 20ias and resistance/ dexterity/ strength

Boots – 3 boots

Sandstorm Treks – get them eth =p faster run/walk is low, but has faster hit recovery
    Waterwalks – you got the life and the dexterity, but lacks faster hit recovery and faster run/walk
    Rare – 30frw 10fhr with tri resistance… find this then give it to me =p

Rings - =p

Default set up – 20dex ravenfrost with bk ring
    Damage – 2 bk rings =p
    vs. Cold – 2 ravenfrosts
    vs. Fire – 2 dwarf stars
    vs. Light – 2 wisps

Switch
    Spirit and Call to Arms

Charms
    9 Javelin grand charms (Optimally a combination of faster run/walk and lifers, and even faster hit recovery to hit breakpoints)
    Annihilus
    Amazon Torch
    small charms – get faster run/walk with resistance…don’t bother with lifers

Break Points to consider
    Fhr 52/ 86 (86 is great against stun lock duelers, smiter/trapsin)
    Ias 35 is enough but the next is 46

Interesting approach to a Enigma based PVP Javazon =p (I just saw this done in a game, though I did beat him 5-0 I thought it was an interesting build)
    Gear
    -Enigma instead of chains of honor
    -Switch Gear
    Hoto+spirit on switch (for faster cast rate and resistance)

-Strategy is just to switch teleport to dodge then when your close switch and poke with charged strike. A very unique build.

Tactics for PVP
    (All tactics assume that you are using the default ring settings as well as have max block)

Important Note – Lightning bolt does more damage than Lightning fury and will be more effective if the dueler has no minions and is clear of walls. For convenience sake I will use Fury(lf) exclusively in the text below, but remember bolt could be more effective.

Sorcs – Remember to spam the lightning fury. If you hit you will reduce their energy shield/ life or just kill them right there.

For cold sorcs remember that they range is lower than fire and light, but they will hit you often, end this duel quickly by running up and poking. Back off if they teleport then shoot lightning furies. These duels end in a poke or a hit with lf. Blizzard duels are easier. Move out of blizzard until you catch up to them. If they blizzard themselves jusy run up to them and poke.

Fire/light duels, require a lot of running and lightning fury. Dodge their spam while shooting lf, watch for a mistake when they teleport too close.

Pallys – They will absorb the hell out of you…or they will be cake

Smiters – get some fhr. If they have low light resistance just stand and poke them a few times. If they have high light resistance run and hit with lf until their manageable in a few hits with cs. If they absorb you…good luck…try and see if you damage them if you don’t just save and exit or unhostile =p

Hammerdins – these are fun. Lightning fury them when they are spamming. If they teleport on you, back off downwards then come right back and poke them. If they desynch, just name lock them and cs when they hit you. Normally you can tank 1-3 hammers

Foh – End the duels quickly run at them then cs. If you stop and lf you might be wasting a lot of time.

Aura dins – same as FOH except easier =p

Barbs – Easy duels unless they absorb

For all barbs – press R then stand shift cs until they die in 2-5 hits. Holy freeze is about the most effective trick against you but same strategy even if they hf. Don’t run or move because they will hit you more. (I have met 1 throw barb, lf and cs its like a sorc with a faster physical attack)

Zonz – Bowzons are usually cake and Javazons are about whom can lf and cs the best

Bows – chase them when they shoot press R to walk. When they run you run. If they run faster spam Lf, but still run after them. Remember to walk when they shoot and you will be fine. As soon as you catch up they are done.

Javzons – Run. Lightning fury until they have a manageable amount of life, where you can poke them once or twice to kill.

Assassins – whirlwind or traps

Whirlwind – same as ww barb except they might have mb and traps for tricks, ignore them. If they mb when your far away lightning fury while stunned, if they use traps just run past them. Fhr is important for these duels.
    Traps – same as above except that they die in 2 hits max. Watch out if they tele a lot…if they do then you have to be careful and lightning fury. They will stick to their traps so use that as an advantage. IN other words stay back and spam into the traps. Treat them as sorcs if they play offensively

Druids and necros –

Wind/bone - spam Lf to kill minions then poke / lf to kill them. Wind druids have their armor but if lf gets rid of that then they die in one hit. Wind druids also play aggressively so you can switch to highlords for extra damage against them should be a challenging duel. Bone necros play defense and will give you a hard time if you try to poke them. So lay back throw javs and wait till they get to close

Note: When wind druids are using tornado it is extremely hard to land a cs hit because of recovery from all your skills. Try to catch them off guard. Remember only go for the kill after minions are down and armor is damaged.

Fury/summon – fury is just poking and summon is just lf =p

Poison necros – They bring you life down fast, so run and kill them before they get that last life point

My Javazon
    lvl91 Gitnan
    Charged strike damage 9.2k – 9.9k depending on gear =p
    Lightning Fury 1-3.8k
    Lightning bolt 9.7k
    Life 2.5k after BO
    Max block

Stats (when naked without anni)
    Str-64
    Dex- 133
    Vit – 333
    Energy – 15

Resistance (default set up cats/bk/raven)
    67/75/83/75

Gear
    25/14 griffons
    Cat’s eye / other amulets
    Perfect wirefleece chains of honor
    200ed Thunder god’s valor
    200ed Thunderstroke
    Stormshield umed
    Bk/raven/other rings
    14/15 ethereal treks
    2jav/20ias/14dex/other stat gloves
    9 javelin Grand Charms (matching art =p=p=p=p) (3 with life 35/35/34)
    10 3frw /resistance small charms (fhr in stash)
    18/16 anni
    20/18 amazon torch

edited by Dacar 8-31-06

2. HaLoPhReAk

HaLoPhReAk IncGamers Member

Hallelooya! a lightjavazon guide. Pretty decent, although you have gone to all the effort of doing what you have, so why don't you add a PvM section? They can have huge chaosing possibilities.

Ignore this\/ I didn't see that you already had it.:undecided:
    And may I suggest for Charactars like Wind druids (I'm trying hard not to force this upon you, but) that have some summons, I find that it really helps to throw some LF at them, it takes out their Oak, and really kills their Cyclone armor, which helps for CS when they come close.

A wee tiny bit short on some parts, but pretty good, again you could add a PvM section, as you don't need to change your gear much (at all?).

:thumbsup: :grin:

EDIT: Suggestion: say your base stats with out torch anni 'n equip.

EDIT EDIT (man i really gotta read more thoroghly): I disagree with the Thunderstrokes, Yes it does have -15 enemy lightnin res, and some other mods, but there are so many great things on Titans that aren't quite so noticible, like 30 frw, and My god! the 20 to str and dex saves 40 points that can go into vitality!!!, I have eth Titans, and have never ran out of the javalins, and i throw like crazy... then i hit "I" and it is nearly full again (140 holding capacity!!! *wow those words make me feel all nerdy inside*)

3. tinncann25

I wanted to make the guide exclusively pvp

for pvm there are a lot of different approaches including hybrids and othe rthings

i just changed the stats things

4. HaLoPhReAk

HaLoPhReAk IncGamers Member

true there are hybrid approaches, but i have yet to see a full on CS LF one on these forums. (Next lines are : "Well i guess i stand corrected" :rolleyes: )

again, gj.

5. tinncann25

thank you.

6. jake007

jake007 IncGamers Member

The best jewels to stick inside a jewellers monarch of deflecting (if you can get your hands on one) is actually 4x 15IAS/15All resist jewels. You should really cover the FHR/FCR/IAS breakpoints in the guide.

I see alot of good/non-farcasting javazons using enigma, so you might want to work on that.

Never forget jewellers armor of whales, with 4x 15IAS/15ALL resist it's a better choice for CoH. Damage is not everything and that extra frame of attack-speed is key to survival, particularly when breaking dodge animation for fast/constant attacks. IAS is also need to offset the slow in BM situations.

7. tinncann25

I do not understand what you want me to work on here?

I like your other suggestions and will give them a look mainly by socketing my monarch/armor with 15ias jewels and see if they make a giant difference in my attack.

8. nickedoff

nickedoff IncGamers Member

This just bugged me, and I thought it might confuse someone - I'm guessing you mean Charged Strike?

9. tinncann25

blah i swear i changed that, yes charged strike

10. Sechler

Sechler IncGamers Member

I've been using enigma on my pvp java, and it's bonuses have way outweighed the lack of resists. Granted I am struggling w/ resists which are around the 30's w/o anya. But the faster r/w, str, tele is amazing when u step back and look at what it provides over coh. First and foremost, the godly faster run/walk is gonna get me to 140-150 range, which shocks the crap outta everyone I duel. I don't have to explain how 45 add'l f r/w comes in handy. Now as far as tele, i'm running a modified set up. 25 fcr griffs, 20 arachs, 10 fcr ring, 15 fcr ammy gets me to the 68 bp, which is plenty to tele on top of a defensive player or at least get close enough to run to them at godly speed. Something else that is awsome when fighting up close, is the ability to tele back a screen and spam lightning bolt for the kill. That's usually when I get the comment "OMG...U F'ing Tele??" I'm still needing alot of practice at nl/tele/cs, but that's a huge move if I could just get the hang of it. As far as the strength, it allows u to put anywhere from 30-50 extra into vit dependent on gear which w/ BO is a fair amount of life. I suggest trying to use one, but the resists have to be well thought out. I'm using 5 fr/w sc's w/ 4-5 res, 15 res gc w/ fr/w, several fr/w specific res sc's, 20 res torch, 18 res anni, and i have a 29 light res fcr ring and a 28 fire res fcr ring, some other res from gear.

11. tinncann25

You make an interesting point, im making another javazon right now actually and ill make sure i experiment wiht the teleport

also im assuming ur on nl because of the 5fr/w, but if ladder resets i would like a duel =p

12. Sechler

Sechler IncGamers Member

woooops :shocked: ... nah, i'm ladder.
    replace 5 frw's with 3 frw sc's.

whisp me this weekend, i'll be on Saturday night and almost all Monday.
    *sechler7

13. Jerametrius

Jerametrius IncGamers Member

I also would suggest enigma, imo mobility is more important than res when you have dodge/evade/avoid. It's not just the teleport either but the 45% frw is huge... I've seen good cs zons dysnch while running and tele-cs casters very effectively.
    Also if you dont have tele when your dueling a bone necro your basically an easy boneprison and spam bs kill.

I would also use a jtod/atod with 3x 5-5 facets instead of ss, It has good blocking, low str, and the damage will help more than dr vs a melee char... any melee attack that gets past your dodge/evade/etc. will kill you in around 3 hits even with storm's dr.

The majority of the guide I agree with, espcially cats eye ammy, and res/run scs.

14. tinncann25

Great duels, definitly convinced me that a tele-javazon was very viable our final score was 5-2, got some great practice with his hybrid sin and barb as well

great duels =p

15. Sechler

Sechler IncGamers Member

yep.. props to ur java, my baba didn't stand a chance. clipping was impossible, u hit my *** hard regardless. What was interesting, was i could take a lot of hits just standing there, but when i ww'ed through/by/near u, I got decimated in a 2 hits. Not sure how the mechanics worked there, but it was amazing how the dmg went thru the roof. I actually went into some pubs after with my zon, and same deal... 1 hit kills on most ww barbs.
    I think if my sin was using fury w/ a chickens**t hit and run approach, it may have helped, but it would've been really hard to pull off. Naturally you wear tgods for the build which renders traps useless, which left me with ww. I don't have explain what happened there, lol.
    Rematch when i get my java to 90's :wink2:

16. d00m2k

d00m2k IncGamers Member

How do you kill sorcs again? From what I understand, you rely on LF or Bolt, which brings two questions:

Does Bolt always hits like LF? On the Arreat Summit it says bolt converts physical to lightning, so I assume bolt must hit (in terms of physical) the sorc for damage to occur. Does this mean Bolt would have trouble doing any damage against high defense chars?

[EDIT - just tested, Lbolt does always hit]

And lets say a Lightning Fury hits. The LF releases one bolt which does, on average with your rediculous gear, 1900 * 0.17 (PVP penalty) * 0.25 (75% resist is the LOWEST they'll have) = 80 damage. Let's be nice and say it hits a wall or tree behind them, and releases another bolt of 80 damage. That's still only 160 damage...doesn't seem like it'd kill anyone.

17. tinncann25

1900....i dont think so, my lf does around 4k (you must calculate the griffons into this as well as -15resis from tstroke)

lb does 300-10k

18. d00m2k

d00m2k IncGamers Member

Your LF does 4K. I'm assuming that's something like 10 - 4000 damage, which means your average shot will hit for 2000. Now let's say you are under the best possible circumstances (enemy as exactly 75%, no more) and the best gear + facet (-25% enemy LR, +20% LF damage) and Tstrokes (-15% enemy LR):

Your enemy will have 35% LR. Your Tstrokes will do, on average, 2400.

When you hit them in PVP, your LF will do 2400 * 0.17(pvp penalty) * 0.65(resistances) = 265.2 damage.

Let's even say this sorc doesn't know how LF works, so is standing near a wall and the LF pierces and releases another bolt as it hits the wall. 265.2 x 2 = 530.4 damage.

That isn't very much damage, and you have to keep in mind these are the BEST possible circumstances, with the BEST gear. Most likely the sorc will not be within a few yards of a wall or tree, and will always have 75% resist because of a little extra LR. This is also with NO absorb gear, not even the usual "one allowed." Even under GM rules, your damage is going to be cut down to around 80... (75% resist, 1 piece of absorb).

How can it kill anybody?

Even LB, doing comparable damage to ONE trap, will hit on average for 5000. 5000 * 0.17 * 0.25 = 212 PVP damage...again, this isnt going to kill someone unless they're standing still. With 1 piece of absorb, this is going to tickle.

All this talk of a couple LFs or Lbolts and the enemy should be down sounds like BS to me.

19. tinncann25

you got a dueler on east? I dont like the math calculations, if you question my strats duel me. I wrote the guide of experience not calculations.

20. d00m2k

d00m2k IncGamers Member

No, I'm not questioning you. You wrote an excellent guide. I am the one that is confused, and am inquiring if anyone knows why. Maybe my math is wrong, or my understanding of game mechanics.