Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Life Leach ?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by omegamann, Sep 6, 2006.

1. omegamann

omegamann IncGamers Member

Life Leach ?

I just found a Bud Kathos ring and the LL ? comes to mind. 4% life per hit...does that mean a hit with a weapon or does a hit with a spell count...and in that regard when I cast chain lightning do I get the 4% with every mob it hits ?

Thanks

JP

2. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I think it only counts on actual melee hits. But there is a penalty in NM and Hell so you actually only get a fraction of the original percentage.

Interesting, eh?

3. Mursilis

Mursilis IncGamers Member

It is like mana leach, only from physical damage is where you get this "leaching" effect.

For example you do 100 physical and 100 lightning damage with a mace-type weapon. You will receive 4 life back and added to your red bulb with each successful hit (4% of 100 physical damage, ignoring lightning damage).

4. PSYCHO

PSYCHO IncGamers Member

Life leech is calculated on physical damage. In Nightmare difficulty all leech is effectively cut in half whilst in Hell it is quartered. Therefore, the 4% on that ring actually becomes 2% in Nightmare and 1% in Hell difficulty. The final damage output you do is affected by such things as skills that increase your physical damage and also the physical resistance of the creature you are hitting.

For example, if you deliver 1000 damage to a creature and you have 1% life leech, you will leech back 10 life (in Normal difficulty). The same hit in Nightmare would result in 5 life leech and in Hell that would be a pittance of 2.5 life (I'm not sure how Diablo calculates fractional leeches).

5. Dark Matter

Dark Matter IncGamers Member

Life Leech only works on melee hits I'm afraid and iirc it's the % of the damage you do is returned as life to you.

Code:
    + Life Stolen
     	Available on
    Leech 	2-5% Life Stolen Per Hit 	Weapons(6)[4-5%], Circlets(14)[3-4%], Rings(14)[3-5%] Amulets(24)[2-3%] Gloves(34)[3%]
    Locust 	4-7% Life Stolen Per Hit 	Melee Weapons(20)[6-7%], Circlets(47)[5-6%], Amulets(57)[4-5%] Rings(47)[5-6%]
    Lamprey 	6-9% Life Stolen Per Hit 	Melee Weapons(55)[8-9%], Circlets(77)[7-8%], Amulets(85)[6%] Rings(77)[7-8%]

The steal comes from how much damage you do to the monster. So 5% Life Stolen will return 5% of the damage you do to a monster. Life and Mana steal only work on melee and physical ranged attacks. Only Triumphant Items will return mana when using Elemental attacks and Bone Spells.

Some monsters and objects, like Skeletons and Fire Towers, will not give life when attacked. 
    Also:
    Freezing, Life/Mana Stealing, Chilling, AI affecting Curses (Confuse, Attract, Dim Vision)
    Are cut in 1/2 in Nightmare.

Freezing, Chilling, AI affecting Curses (Confuse, Attract, Dim Vision)
    Are cut 3/4 in Hell.
    http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/basics/difficulty.shtml

6. lagalot

lagalot IncGamers Member

Does this mean that when cb and ds trigger life steal is extra effective?

7. Mursilis

Mursilis IncGamers Member

I don't believe so, as those are calculated separately. But I'll let a more knowledgeable person answer that with more certainty.

8. FreakII

FreakII IncGamers Member

I think it actualy does work cause it calculates the LL on the amount damage done to the monster.
    It's like lets say you deal a blow of 1000 physical damage, but the monster has 50% damage reduced, the effective physical damage is 500, and your leach will be determined by that. Lets say the sam blow has CS or CB, the damage will be 2000, then the monster physical resistance is checked, thus dealing 1000 damage were your leach will be determined.

This is on hear say don't take my word :badteeth:

9. PSYCHO

PSYCHO IncGamers Member

From memory leeching from Crushing Blow didn't work and was then fixed to work in a previous version. I believe RTB would know more than I on the issue, but I'm quite certain leeching from CB works (I would then assume DS is included).

10. lagalot

lagalot IncGamers Member

Thats how I was guessing it worked FreakII.Those calculations seem logical...I guess we just need an expert to confirm:laugh:

11. FreakII

FreakII IncGamers Member

@ lagalot: yeah i'd love to know for sure.

*taps foot waiting for expert to arive....*

12. Flayed One

Flayed One IncGamers Member

one thing I've not seen mentioned yet, is that leech only work with physical damage from skills counting as attacks. for example you will leech from zeal(paladins melee attack skill) and strafe(amazons amazons ranged attack skill), but will not leech from druids tornado, even though they do physical damage(they count as spells).

13. lagalot

lagalot IncGamers Member

It makes potent life steal for a char with 100% cb and 100% ds and 10kish damage if thats correct :grin:

14. Kefir-Tribe

Kefir-Tribe IncGamers Member

I don't think leech works with CB.

15. Flayed One

Flayed One IncGamers Member

I think leech doesn't work with CB.:laugh:

seriously though, Im almost sure.

16. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

My take on it is that life leech (not leach) works with DS, but not with CB. My pally has 8% life leech (before penalties) and 83% CB with about 66% DS.

When he melees leechable monsters at /players8, his life orb shows a steady increase, and never a massive increase, which would happen if CB works with life leech, since CB on a /p8 monster would return massive amounts of life.

Both life and mana leech is cut down to 1/2 in NM and 1/3 (not 1/4) in Hell.

It is chill and freeze lengths that are cut down to 1/2 in NM and 1/4 in Hell.

Edit: I'd be interested to know if a char can leech in Hell if he/she only has 2% life/mana leech (before penalties). 2/3% in Hell is not a round number, and since D2 rounds down, that would be 0%. I've not tried it though.

17. JihadJesus

JihadJesus IncGamers Member

I can't say anything about CB, but I'm sure leech works with the DS/CS effect. I'd assumed it worked with CB, since that damage is only applied by physical attacks and is affected by physical damage resistance. But I could be wrong.

18. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

That's not really accurate - it also works on ranged attacks doing physical damage, such as strafe or thrown javelins etc.

- Noodle

19. omegamann

omegamann IncGamers Member

Well thanks for the info, I was going to switch out a stone of jordan I am currently wearing for the BK ring. But as I do not melee with this Sorc I wont now.

JP

20. FreakII

FreakII IncGamers Member

Oh yaah for a sorc no two ways Soj is the way to go, that +25% to mana... yeah you know what I'm talking about.