Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Life Found On Mars!!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Freemason, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Life Found On Mars!!!

Germs hitched space probes to Mars-study

LONDON (Reuters) - An American scientist believes that if life is finally proved to exist on Mars, its origins may be more mundane and closer to home than we think.

"I believe there is life on Mars, and it's unequivocally there, because we sent it," said Andrew Schuerger in the New Scientist Magazine on Wednesday.
    The University of Florida scientist said there is a good chance that microbes from Earth have made it to Mars by hitching a lift aboard space probes.
    Schuerger said of all probes sent to Mars, only the two Viking craft in 1976 were adequately heat-sterilised. Procedures used for all missions since then, including NASA's twin rovers and Europe's Beagle 2, would have left some microbes on board.
    Source

Oh great, there goes the neighborhood... What next, scientists are going to become the leading cause of cancer in rats?

2. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

You mean they aren't already?

Well won't we get to see if Mars can support basic life now? You gotta look at the silver lining :uhhuh:

3. Jonas

Jonas IncGamers Member

And in a couple million years, those bacteria will evolve into highly-efficient killing organisms that will wipe out the human race. Thanks science!

On a more serious note, life probably already existed on Mars anyways, even before we sent the probes.

4. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I doubt earth born bacteria can survive on mars.

5. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

That's why they'll evolve into Teenage Mutant Ninja Martian Bacteria !!! Then they'll be kicking some serious a**

6. Freemason

Freemason Banned

You'd be amazed where bacteria can live. They've been found buried under thousands of feet of ice and inside of geothermal vents on the bottom of hte ocean. Compared with that, Mars isn't all that harsh. I mean, not all that long ago one of the Mars rovers checked and it was warmer on Mars than it was in New York City.

7. TurbulentTurtle

TurbulentTurtle IncGamers Member

There has probably been life on other planets for some time now, our technology just doesn't match up to the superiority of those other guys.
    And I don't think that alien life forms would want to stay at our planet, if the first people they meet when they come down here are crazy shotgun-carrying farmer family with 10 teeth collectively. :)

8. cyclotronic

cyclotronic IncGamers Member

What are the religious impacts of this new finding?

9. piff

piff IncGamers Member

Don't make me slowly flay you over a hot stove.

Anyway, I like this scientist. Nice and logical, like all science should be.

10. cyclotronic

I'm up for a good old fashion debate. But I'd rather not if possible. So lets just save it for another thread.

I dont think i have ever had a debate with you piff.

11. piff

piff IncGamers Member

Nor I. But then again, we've often agreed. We could alsways argue about something where we agree.

12. cyclotronic

Actually i do that with freind. Take an issue and debate either side, evn if you are personally opposed. Good fun.

13. Ting

Ting IncGamers Member

Andromeda Strain, anyone?

14. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I remember both of those instances, Smeg, but I'm still skeptical.

15. Akira

Akira Member

The center of the sun is also warmer than New York City. :p
    Just how much warmer are we talking here?

16. Pombe

Pombe IncGamers Member

The thing is, those extremophiles can live where they live due to millions of years of evolution. you cant just take a normal E. coli cell and put it down in a geothermal vent and expect it to live. conversely one of the problems that we're facing trying to grow these extremophiles in the lab is that we cant replicate the conditions that they need.

The kinds of bacteria that would have hitched a ride to mars would have been surface dwelling bacteria and fungi. While some of these are pretty hardy by terrestrial standards I think the long trip through space would have messed them up bigtime. For several reasons:

1) nearly total vacuum: cytoplasm would immediatly boil as soon as they got to space.

2) extreme cold: cells dont like being frozen. unless they are specifically adapted to fill their cytoplasm with some sort of antifreeze protein, when they freeze, the ice crystals pierce the cell membrane. most normal surface dwelling bugs cant live through this. You can store stock cultures of cells at -80 in a glycerol solution and some of them will survive, but if they're sitting on some surface, then its pretty much game over.

3) radiation: it takes very little UV exposure to take the survival of a culture down to 0%. like 60 seconds using a conventional lab UV box. We're talking months in deep space, getting hit by more radiation than you could shake a stick at. Even if the damage isnt severe, repairing DNA damage required energy. Generating energy requires something that the cells can metabolize. Unless the mars rover is honey glazed, these guys are in big trouble.

On mars they wouldnt be able to do much without water, food, oxygen (depending on the species) and temperatures where their enzymes will actually function (37 degrees C for anything that grows symbiotically with humans, about 25 C for most others)

If they have no colony forming potential then what does it matter? They're no different from any of the other debris we've sent to mars.

17. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

Meanwhile millions of years ago on Sirius A:

A team of scientists has recently put a probe on a young planet in a nearby system to check for signs of a liveable environment.

"We have found signs of water, unfortuneatly the probe became stuck in the mud" Said Eglorkaramous, the president of the Company for Sirian Science.

Some controversy has been raised over whether or not the probe was properly sterilized, scientists say the probability of Sirian bacteria creating a large impact on the alien planet is low.

18. Ting

Ting IncGamers Member

Maybe we need to rethink our definition of life a bit. What if the organisms that exist on mars aren't carbon-based whatsoever? What if they don't have DNA? Life always finds a way to survive, somehow.

19. xXxDraGoNxXx1123

xXxDraGoNxXx1123 IncGamers Member

*puts on his tin foil hat*

:scared:

20. Tridge

Tridge IncGamers Member

hey thats my line

interesting, but obvious if you think about it.
    musta been a slow news day ~.~