Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Lich Lord 1.10 Stategy Guide Please Input/edit

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Damric, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Damric

Damric IncGamers Member

Lich Lord 1.10 Stategy Guide Please Input/edit

Lich Lord 1.10 by Damric

This is a guide intended for 1.10 ladder, but I will give equipment substitutions for non-ladder players.

What is a Lich Lord?

A Lich Lord is what I call my necromancer who specializes in skeletal mage (liches). This is similar to the old "Lord of Mages" but this is an updated build that is dependent on the 1.10 changes. This build is effective in Hell difficulty versus monsters and players alike. The major focus of your damage will be elemental from the mages, and minor physical from mercinary.Your defences will be your summons, maximum blocking%, and descent life/resists.
    A pack of 16 level 40 Skeletal Mages with level 40 Mastery is a killing machine.

Statistics

Strength: Enough to wear gear. Keep in mind that Enigma adds a lot of strength and that Marrowwalks require 118 strength. Expect more than 50 but less than 100 hard points.

Dexterity: Enough to achieve maximum block % with homunculus. Expect around 200 hard points end game.

Vitality: Everything else.

Energy: Base. Insight is lvl 27 and provides enough mana to get all your minions summoned. On non-ladder you may need more mana.

Skills

20 points: Raise Skeletal Mage, Skeleton Mastery, Golem Mastery, Lower Resist.

1 Point: All prerequisites, all Golems, Summon Resist, Revive, Bone Armor. Optional 1 point Bone Wall.

Corpse Explosion: Place the rest of your points here to increase its range.

Mercinary

I have had great success with 3 different Mercinary Set-ups.

Act 2 Nightmare Combat (Thorns Aura): For the richest players. I gave mine Ethereal Infinty, Ethereal Fortitude, Andariels Visage. This guy increases the damage of your mages and does huge physical damage. This guy is the best but he dies often from Iron Maiden Oblivion Knights.

Act 1 Normal Fire Rogue: For the rich also. Use Faith Bow, Duress or Fortitude armor or Bramble, Guillame's Face. She can attack from "Blob Mode" making her especially effective versus players and bosses.

Act 1 Fire Rogue: Alternate. For less rich players I suggest an Edge bow, Duress armor or Bramble (if you can afford), and Guillame's Face.

Your Gear

End Game: Um'd Harlequin Crest, Enigma mage plate, Mage Fist, Homunoculus with Um/perfect diamond, 2 Stones of Jordan or Bul Katho's Wedding bands or both, Arachnid Mesh, Marrowwalk, Arm of King Leoric with resist jewel, +3 Summon Amulet with +Life. Also get as many +1 Summon skill grand charms as you can. For small charms use resists and fast hit recovery.

On Switch: Either Wizardspike or Call to Arms with Splendor or Spirit.

Why Magefist instead of Trang's?

It's my preference to have the mana regeneration and +1 fire skill for Corpse Explode. Either glove works well though.

Strategy

What is "blob mode"?

Blob mode is reviving a large creature and teleporting, causing all your minions to stack. This is the most effective way for your mages to attack. They will fire in a stream, annihilating all in thier path. This also keeps you protected but is not 100% so better have good blocking just in case. An act 2 mercinary usually cannot attack like this but a rogue merc still attacks.

Why Maximum Lower Resist?

Range and more chance to "break" and immunity.

Why maximum golem mastery?

This is so you can make a "Mana Golem". Make an Iron Golem out of any Insight polearm.

Won't the "Mana Golem" die?

The little bugger is immune to poison and electricity and has high fire and cold resists. Also mine has around Ten-thousand life at lvl 40 golem mastery with 1 point invested in Iron Golem. Usually he is protected in "blob mode" anyway. And geeze if he dies its not too hard to spend a Sol rune on something so useful.

Non-ladder golem?

Clay works fine. Also Immortal King's Mauls make Iron Golems that are completely immune to elements, good for boss killing. Fire Golems look cool enough to spend one point in it.

How do I summon my army?

Let your mercinary and golem get a kill. Use Amplify Damage to help him. I usually summon regular Skeleton Warriors first, then Skeleton Mages, then Revives.

Then What?

Find a Big monster to revive. In "blob mode" you simple tele around and kill everything. Use Corpse Explosion if you feel like making messes after you have a full army.

Can I kill Bosses?

Yes. Decrepify them and let your mercinary cut them down. Your mercinary should have high% crushing blow. Your mages finish the job. Even Hell Baal can be disposed of in less than a minute.

Is this PvP viable?

Yes. Few characters can hit you and hurt you badly. I wouldn't duel an auradin/torchadin at all. Particularly be careful of Lightning Fury Amazons and Splash damage from Fireballs. I have found that Bone Spears and Frozen Orbs do not Penetrate "blob mode". Whirlwind barbs are easily destroyed by Thorns and Amplify damage. Hammmers will kill your minions but only after a few seconds which you should kill the paladin by then. With practice this is a very fun PvP character.

What do I name my character?

I named my latest character "minion_blob"

2. sir goatscelot

sir goatscelot IncGamers Member

Sounds like a fun varient to try :) ..but also sounds like LoM build which you already have pointed out ;) The Golem max with insight thing though I think it needs tweeking..they tend to vanish .. and though the runes are easy to get, kind of a pain still. Lower resist max is prob a bit overboard, and I think the points could be used elsewhere. First merc choice is solid, second at first glance it looks strange as fana does not help you or army, but I am pretty sure that fana increases the speed at which the mages cast, although it should not ;) Vigor on the 3rd option is also kinda cool as army moves with you, not behind you ... On second thought, I guess if you don't have access to ladder stuff, LR max is an option.

Overall its non cookie cutter and definately something to try. How's the killing speed in Hell?..without infinity ;)..

3. Damric

Damric IncGamers Member

I successfully tried all merc varients that I listed. They all kill fast in hell. Mana golems do not get lost while teleporting. You really only need him at lvl 65 anyway since your merc will likely be using insight until then. Maximum Lower Resist means in PvP you will be able to cast it from off screen because it is so huge and stacked with conviction there will be few people that can last more than a second or 2 in a full mage stream. In PvM a maxed Lower Resist also can break more immunites than just a few points. Faith Fire mercs just have huge fire arrow damage (and we give her crushing blow.) Her fire works well with this build, but really any high damage bow would suffice. I just think a rich player would like to use Faith. I have been playing this build for about 3 months now and these are the observations I have made.

4. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Ok, first thoughts:
    • Interesting LoM variant.
    • The layout of the guide could be a bit better. Right now it is rather hard to navigate.
    • I'm missing an explanation of why max block and if it is possible to go without max block.
    • Maxing LR is not something most people would do, as sir goatscelot already said. What should people do with their skill points when they don't want/need to max LR?
    • Alternative gear would be nice. Not everyone has access to this kind of equipment.
    • Also an alternative strategy section would be nice. Since not everyone has an Enigma constant minion stacking isn’t as feasible for a lot of people as it would seem.

Take away his weapon. He'll still do good damage, but he won't kill himself as easily.

5. sequoia

sequoia IncGamers Member

sounds really fun, did you have a problem with weeding out the poison/cold mages?

6. Damric

Damric IncGamers Member

Teleporting is essential to this build, there is no substitute for that particular piece of gear. I know on Ladder US West you can get any Enigma for 3-4 ists. I hate to be a butthole but if someone cannot afford that, then they probably also don't have enough skill for this build either, and they should stick to playing whatever people play that can't afford Enigma. Also maxing Lower Resist is a unique part of this build. If you would rather max Amp damage then make a different kind of summoner. I cannot repeat how important Maxing Lower Resist is especially if you are not using Conviction. Blocking was discussed under "blob mode". Lastly, what should I do to make it more easy to read? I am thinking color coding some how. I guess I can indent more/change font. Maybe an illustration of a Lich Lord zapping the crap out of a Beast-necro?

7. Damric

Damric IncGamers Member

One or two cold mages is ok. The problem occurs when all I can summon is cold and poison mages. Poison mages are only viable in Normal. It does take a minute or two to pick out the bad eggs.

8. Mad Mantis

Then stress that. Make sure it is more apparent that you need teleporting.

There are those who refuse to trade for things that are more than likely dupes. Or those who enjoy untwinked characters. Don't mistake wealth for skill. I have seen a lot of people coming here stating what über gear they have, but not knowing that LR doesn't lower Magic resistance, or how to deal with PI’s.

But it isn't stated anywhere how important it is. You just say "Range and more chance to "break" and immunity" most people will tell you, and can show calculations, that maxing LR hardly gives a bigger edge. When doing something not normally done it is wise to over-explain yourself.

Still, could going all Vit work?

Color codes don't work and images can only be linked to. You can work with the size of the fonts and bold, italics and underlining. For instance just making the heads of the different sections bold would make it easier to navigate.

I know it sounds like I don’t like the guide. That is not true. I like the concept, I just want to see some things explained a bit more. It helps people make decisions when building a certain character.

9. Damric

Damric IncGamers Member

Ya I know that you liked it already. I am going to address all those issues you brought up when I revise this. I hope many other people can put their 2 sense in too. One of the reasons I am doing this is because there is not a Lord of Mages guide in the stickies/compendiums. Am I mistaken?

10. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

Poison mages aren't there for the damage --- their purpose is to prevent monster healing (and that's obvious, since spreading the damage over insane durations of 500+ seconds doesn't make any sense for killing).

There is one situation where I actually unsummoned fire and lightning mages so I'd have only poison and cold --- dclone. I generally don't care what mages I get (I play a Skelemancer, so mages aren't my main concern), but with 95% resists mage damage is entirely insignificant (I use decrep vs. the clone, not amp and not lower resist), so I wanted to make sure the mages with the secondary effects survive as much of the initial stage (crushing blow revives) as possible.

11. Mad Mantis

There is no such guide. rickcarson made a few post on the subject, but since he hates the 10k character limit I don't think he'll ever turn them into proper guides.

12. Leonavice

Leonavice IncGamers Member

May I know why you are using Insight for your Iron golem? From the looks of your equipment and your skills, you don't seem to have mana problems.

13. Damric

Damric IncGamers Member

Even though I only spent 1 point in Revive, after +skills you end up with 10-20 revives. To get them summoned takes a bit of mana. Also teleporting around takes quite a bit. And I am constantly spamming Lower Resist and Corpse Explode. I should put all this info in the stategy part. Yes, you can just use mana pots though. But wouldn't you rather have people saying" how do you have Conviction, Thorns, AND Meditation?" or "Why is your golem smoking?" It's more party friendly if none of the above works for you.

14. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

On the LR thing, you appear to have a total of 11 plus skills effecting curses. With one point that gives you 58. With 19 more points you're at 66%. Here is the breakdown of your LR at different point investments with those +skills. (20 is unnecessary BTW - 18 gets you to 66% and equipping Trang's Claws alone won't be enough to get 67% with 20)

18 - 66%
    15 - 65%
    12 - 64%
    9 - 63%
    7 - 62%
    5 - 61%
    4 - 60%
    3 - 59%
    2 - 58%

If you really want to crank it up, I'd suggest bringing it up to 65% at the most. With Trang's Claw, you'd only need 13 points invested. I'd be content to hit -60% myself which would only take 2 points with the claw.

I'd say lose 1% LR equip Trang's Claw and you'll have freed up 7 skill points to put into CE rather than merely having +1 for it from Mage Fists.

Agreed on the Insight Golem too. I'm not sure it's necessary.

15. Damric

Damric IncGamers Member

Not maxing Lower Resist and not using a Mana-Golem takes away from the flavor of the Lich Lord. Sometimes you don't worry about statistics and you got to go with coolness. A lvl 30 Lower Resist that is larger than the screen is a wicked looking sign of magical power. A necromancer that has discovered the dark secrets of building a golem that is an energy source is sweet too.

16. sir goatscelot

sir goatscelot IncGamers Member

I can see what you are going for, and I can also what the others are trying to point out.. I think you want a specific theme/build look, while the others are looking for optimum skill point allocation and efficiency..which is the norm for most char builds ;) Mantis is correct that a revision needs to be done in order to accomadate people new to the game, or the necro class itself.

A nice disclaimer at the top saying " Get Enigma dang it", would be good..er well maybe "Enigma is mandatory for this build" Also, as others have pointed out, more tips, strats for pvm and pvp would be good as well.

All in all though, I think it's a good first draft and kudos for the effort :) With a few revisions and additions, it would be " Stickyable" I think.

17. sequoia

sequoia IncGamers Member

what if a bonemancer made an IG out of insight, the amp would help the IG and his CE too...

but thats another thread

18. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Well, no that's exactly what he's talking about with the mana battery golem.

19. Damric

Damric IncGamers Member

Oh why do I think I need to write the prequel guide: Diablo II Necromancer Basics, a nub's guide for boneheads .

No really what I am thinking is I will make references in the guide to the stickies that already exist. I really intended this to be an advanced players guide, but I'll see what I can do. Thanks I appreciate all your chopping. Really I do.

20. sequoia

sequoia IncGamers Member

except i dont see why a summoner needs a mana battery. he's not going mass revive