Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Liberal Conspiracy or Corrupt Republicans?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DrunkCajun, Apr 11, 2005.

1. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Liberal Conspiracy or Corrupt Republicans?

Well, there's been a lot of foul-smelling garbage around Tom DeLay in the last few months, and despite his weak attempts to pass off the attention he was earning by screaming about Terri Schiavo (at least until it became public that he himself pulled the plug on one of his own family members in a similar situation), he's back in the hot seat. Over the weekend Representative Christopher Shays (R-CT) had some interesting things to say to Mr. DeLay:

Senator Rick Santorum also made recent comments implying that DeLay needs to 'fess up.

Anyone else having flashbacks to a certain Mr. Wright just before the mid-term election during the Clinton administration? You can bet your balls that the Democrats have a giant crosshairs on their election map for Mr. DeLay's district. You can also bet your balls that the Dems are gonna milk this for all its worth in the next election. Take a page right outta the Newt Gingrich "How to Take Back Congress" book.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/11/politics/11lobby.html?pagewanted=print&position=

2. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

I'm gonna vote for corrupt Republican'ts, but this is really just another straw or two on the back of that particular camel.

P.s. I think we should stick with either the actual party name or their respective street names. Rather than having "liberal" and "Republican't" in the same sentence, it should be either Democrats and Republican'ts or liberals and conservatives. Democrats and Republican'ts would probably have a more desirable degree of specificity, since liberal and conservative combine to encompass anything that isn't dead center. I also like that method better on a personal level because it underlines the fact that their party is founded on an opposition to democracy.

3. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Yeah, I regretted the thread title as soon as I posted it.

At any rate, the Republicans, or at least the DeLay camp, are trying to make this out to be a liberal media conspiracy, hence that term. And it may have the most impact on the Republican party, though it'll be up to the Democrats to bring that about. Anyway. The fact of the matter is, these days, that anyone who isn't for the Republicans is labelled with the dreaded "L" word, regardless of their political standing, so I was sorta taking a sarcastic page from that book.

4. Damascus

Damascus IncGamers Member

Can I vote both?

5. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

I hear ya, man. I wasn't riding you or anything, I've just seen that several times and finally decided to say something. Straws and backs and whatnot, no biggie. ;)

I guess this DeLay straw has potential though, the more I think about it. It's gonna get harder and harder to call it a liberal conspiracy as more and more conservatives are coming out to voice the same concerns and more and more documentation piles up.

6. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak IncGamers Member

Where can I become a part of the liberal conspiracy?

Garbad

7. Dirty_Zulu

Dirty_Zulu IncGamers Member

$70,000 free trip? It's good to be a politician.

I'll vote for corrupt republicans since they've been claiming liberal conspiracy for everything.

8. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

Or corrupt Republican?

9. Broke

Broke IncGamers Member

If by Republicans you mean everybody, the latter.

10. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

Just to be fair to Tom Delay though . . . has any corruption actually been proven? Or do you know longer care for the notion of due process?

Why do you guys hate the constitution?

11. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Because it's an evil tool of the godless liberal activist antilife judiciary.

That's what I heard on talk radio, anyway.

12. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

Yeah, but a high constitution can really improve your hit points.

13. axeil

axeil IncGamers Member

Wow. Santorum spoke out against DeLay.

SANTORUM!?

Good lord I'm watching the sky tonight for pigs.

14. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

That's gorgeous. You're tempting me to change my sig.

15. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

But you failed your fortitude role.... and I'm low on gold, so sorry, no ressurection for you.

An accusation can destroy a polititions career, but any hard evidence?

16. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Well, let me fish some stuff out of the article for those of you asking about any evidence.

There's a start.

That one doesn't peg DeLay, but it sure hits close to home, and I find it hard to believe that he had no idea what two of his chief political operatives were doing...

Google Tom DeLay if you want to read more, I'm tired and going to bed (for real this time, really). The case against him sure looks like a lot more than "liberal media nonsense" or whatever he's calling it.

17. Syxx

Syxx IncGamers Member

"Asked about the golf trips, Mr. Blum replied, "The tradition of lobbyists traveling with members of Congress to visit various jurisdictions so that they could learn about issues that impact the Congress and government policy is well known."

I am very curious .... what Congress or Government Policies requires a trip to play golf in Scotland ?

Regards
    Syxx

18. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Moreover, why don't I ever get a job enforcing <THOSE> policies? Or at least the ones involving trips to Puerto Rico & Hawaii?

If this was a poll, I'd say both - this is one of the few places where the Dems can be offensive and obstructionist at the same time, yet come off smelling like roses... after all, the ethics rules retraction practically had DeLay's name written on it. The Schaivo bit is a red herring in my book, so if the Dems are smart they won't mention it once more of DeLay's blood is in the water. And yes, DeLay has almost as funny a name as Sandy Berger does, so it is only fitting that he get a conspiracy & corruption rep to go with it.

And I can't help but remind people of these words of wisdom -
    EDIT - if you haven't heard of P.J., here's an appropriate sampling of his wisdom... http://www.buildfreedom.com/tribute/o'rourke/explain.html

19. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

CNN had panel discussion on this about two weeks ago (maybe a bit more) and everyone - and both sides were represented - agreed that DeLay's situation was far enough removed from the Schiavo situation that he wasn't being hypocritical.

I don't know all the details but I thought I'd pass that along.

Either way, I think the answer to the question is both.

20. Croup

Croup IncGamers Member

Well, not quite. While he did say that DeLay would have to answer questions about his situation, Santorum still stood by DeLay, praising him for his leadership and other appropriate qualities.

So don't start watching for four horsemen yet.