LF pierce

nthBULL

Diabloii.Net Member
LF pierce

I'm building a LF javazon at the moment and im just wondering if razortail (im assuming the 33 is chance to pierce) + some points in the skill will guarantee pierce EVERY hit? Or is there a cap?

Eilo Rytyj

Diabloii.Net Member
If it adds to 100%, yes, all of your javelins will pierce. Razortail is 33%, so you'd need your Pierce skill to be at level 9 (71%) to get to 100%. Try to invest only as much points as you need without wasting any, and always factor in how many +skills from items that you have.

Baranor

Diabloii.Net Member
... which means that your chance to pierce once is 95%, twice = 95% * 95%, etc, which means your chance to pierce that 5th row of cows/monsters/bananapeels = 95% * 95% * 95% * 95% * 95%= 77.something%

Raizortail >>>> T-Gods for large packs, as each pierce usually doubles up the damage pretty darn well.

rynke

Diabloii.Net Member
PhatTrumpet said:
The only "cap" on Pierce (and DS, CS, CB, and OW for that matter) is 100% because getting any more than 100% does nothing for you.
it's 95%..

bruticus

Diabloii.Net Member
rynke said:
it's 95%..
this is right .. even 100% chance to pierce will only actually pierce 95% of the time. for example, with a buriza, you'll see that not every single bolt pierces (the vast majority do though, and that's all that really matters i guess).

smeer

Diabloii.Net Member
bruticus said:
this is right .. even 100% chance to pierce will only actually pierce 95% of the time. for example, with a buriza, you'll see that not every single bolt pierces (the vast majority do though, and that's all that really matters i guess).
Coudn't it be that you pierce 100% of the time, but you hit 95% of the time since that is the cap on hiting monsters, so the 5% not piercing of the burri is caused by the fact that the bolt misses the monster?

nthBULL

Diabloii.Net Member
thanks for the help guys

Coudn't it be that you pierce 100% of the time, but you hit 95% of the time since that is the cap on hiting monsters, so the 5% not piercing of the burri is caused by the fact that the bolt misses the monster?
i wouldnt really know, but isnt LF a magic skill, which can hit all the time?

smeer

Diabloii.Net Member
nthBULL said:
thanks for the help guys

i wouldnt really know, but isnt LF a magic skill, which can hit all the time?
Yeb, but that's not what I meant. The piercing isn't done by the lighnting, but only by the phisical javalin. And I always thought piercing could be 100%. The fact that a missile doesn't pierce is caused by the fact that the missile misses the monster.
However maybe I don't remember correctly

PhatTrumpet

Diabloii.Net Member
I'd also like some evidence of this 95% thing, and referencing that outdated (last updated in 2002) Amazon FAQ doesn't count:
Amazon FAQ said:
There is a pure speculative conclusion that pierce therefore has a certain cap-value, and this value would then be 95%...
I'd attribute this to the fact that there's always a 5% of missing rather than there being some theoretical cap on Pierce.

Where's RTB when you need him...

RTB

Diabloii.Net Member
Pierce isn't capped. Chance to hit is, for most attacks. That's where the myth that pierce is capped at 95% came from.