Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Leviticus

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Underseer, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

Leviticus

OK, I've heard liberal Bible scholars claim that the Bible doesn't teach against homosexuality. I don't have an opinion on the matter one way or another given that I'm a heathen infidel unbeliever, but I do find stuff like this interesting, for the detail if nothing else.

This taken from another board. Just sharing because I found it an interesting read.

Sorry about all the "bleeps" but this particular board has a really aggressive language filter. Most of the bleeps are "Jesus."

Anyway, looking at this stuff I have a hard time understanding how anyone can insist that the entire OT is to be taken literally. I mean no one I know follows rules such as are described above. If the OT is supposed to be literal, then why aren't these rules followed?

2. MagiusTheGrey

MagiusTheGrey IncGamers Member

Everytime i think of Biblical references to homosexuals, i always seem to think of Sodom and Gmorrah(Sp?) I know homosexuality wasnt the only reason for the destruction of the city, but i know it didnt help out the cause of the Sodomites either. For this reason, ive always thought that biblically, homosexuals were looked down upon.

3. tarnok

tarnok IncGamers Member

That's an excellent question and there are a couple of reasons, from a Christian perspective. One is that Jesus is recorded as saying that the laws that God gave Israel were added to by man. In other words, not all of the laws as they existed in Jesus' time came directly from God. Specifically Jesus says that Moses gave the people permision to divorce their wives not because God said that's the way it's supposed to be, but because the people demanded it (Mark 10:3-9). So from one point of view it is difficult now to tell which commands are from God and which are for the convinience of the people.

Second is the decision of the apostles regarding gentile (non-Jewish) believers. When gentiles first began to believe in Jesus there was a debate among the apostles as to whether or not the new believers would be required to follow Jewish law. It was decided that only three requirements would be made of the gentile believers: to refrain from eating food offered to idols, from consuming blood or the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality (Acts 15:28-29).

Obviously "sexual immorality" is a fairly vague term. As for homosexuality, whether or not it is a sin is not an issue for me since I'm not ***. For those who are it is clearly a matter between that person and God. I certainly am not going to offer an opinion since the cost of teaching others something wrong about God's law is inestimable (Mathew 5:19).

4. felstorm

felstorm IncGamers Member

Eventually people will figure out that it's all a fairy tale and move on to another irrational belief system.

I predict that in the future that Elvis will become the new Messiah, and people will worship the fat rhinestoned freak. People will wear little gold toilets around their necks and sing "blue suede shoes" horribly off key.

5. Koko Puff

Koko Puff IncGamers Member

Forgive me father for I have sinned, I have sinned deeply because the lingerie I bought my mother is of mixed fabrics.

6. Nword

Nword Banned

That or worship Michael Jackson. The one who found enlightenment through kids.... :teeth:

7. Underseer

OK, that's one vote from the non-literalist side.

Any literalists want to explain why they don't perform animal sacrifices on the Sabbath?

8. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

The dietary rules of the old tedtament are specifically removed in the new testament (The lord made all animals clean). the laws against homosexuality are reiterated in both Romans and 1 Corinthians.

9. tarnok

tarnok IncGamers Member

I don't think that's what I said.

10. Koko Puff

Koko Puff IncGamers Member

While we're on the OT.

Reed Sea Vs. Red Sea

1. The Jews crossed the Reed sea, not the Red sea, the greeks cut off a letter in translation.

2. It's not the Red sea because the Red sea is deep and the Jews would have to rockclimb in and out of the sea.

3. A few hours earlier a volcano erupted on Cyprus which would make water recede, like in Tsunami's, hence receding waters which is prone to the Reed Sea.

Noahs Ark:

1. Since christians believe in creationism, that means god created 400 million seperate land species.

3. Food for 100 days.

4. In an ark smaller than the size of LA.

5. If noah were to load 24/7 he would need to load 500 animals a second. At a reasonable rate, it would take him 72 years to load those animals.

6. Don't give me gripe about "Noahs flood was just for that region!" The bible said god flooded the world, it's in the bible it must be fact ;)

Done ranting and raving... just blowing off steam from defending *** rights in a christian forum.

11. Underseer

Then you sacrifice animals on the Sabbath and avoid mixed fabrics? You believe there is a firmament separating the sky from the water above? You believe the Sun orbits the Earth? You think it's OK to dismember children when they make fun of bald people?

Every Christian has to look at some part of the Old Testament and not take it 100% literally. How much of the Old Testament falls under that category will vary widely from Christian to Christian, but I find it hard to believe anyone takes the entire thing literally.

12. felstorm

So Paul is speaking for Jesus. Jesus = Paul. I see.

And you are all willing to take the word of a guy who was in all probability a closted homo himself.

Sure thing. I mean how many guys a week do we get that claim to speak directly to Jesus? With the exception of GWB.. that is.

Funny how that works. Statistically, the most agregious pedophiles are white male, and often devoutly Christian, usually figurehead of the Church.

What is that saying?

Oh yes.

"Jesus loves the little children."

13. tarnok

tarnok IncGamers Member

First off, that's some horrible butchering of the text. Second, no, I don't make sacrifices etc, but as I said that is because it was decided that gentiles were not required to follow Jewish law, not because I think the OT is supposed to be metaphorical or something.

14. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

I was in the middle of writing a point by point response to this when I realized it would be more effective to simply report the post.

15. Underseer

OK, the NT says there are parts of the OT that you don't have to follow. Which means you're not interpreting those parts literally. QED.

Now, explain the firmament part and the Sun orbiting the Earth.

16. tarnok

tarnok IncGamers Member

I think you and I are operating from different definitions of the word "literal." Tell me which verses you are talking about, because specifically I don't recall anything regarding either the earth or the sun orbiting anything, and I think you have muddled up the bit about the firmament.

17. felstorm

Struck a nerve have I?

Like I said.

Christians can dish it out, but they really can't take it.

Allow me to cry you a river. :hanky:

18. tarnok

tarnok IncGamers Member

Actually I have to agree with dantose. You're pushing blatant flaming/trolling.

19. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

I have a question. This is a little off topic but I've been wondering this. My friend said you MUST be baptised to be able to go to heaven. Is this true? I asked him where it said that in the Bible but he wasn't sure.

Oh one more thing. The same person said your not supposed to have a kitchen in the church grounds(not inside just in the church complex). What about this, is it against God to have a kitchen in your church?

20. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

How can you tell for sure they cut off the e? The words for reed and red are fairly different in latin.
    So? It does not give a time frame for this event. It could take days.
    If you are saying they crossed the shallow Reed sea then how do you explain the Egytion army not attacking them. Since you don't beleive miracles such as the parting of the sea then you obviously don't beleive in the firewall.

God is just that a God. He could do what ever he wanted.
    Read on.
    Read on.
    Read on.
    It could in fact just be that area. The "Noah" story has been found all over the world. Including in the Americas.
    Since when did this thread become dominated by Christians? As far as I have seen the people that beleive in any higher power here are outnumbered greatly.