Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Levelling

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Chaossblade, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Chaossblade

Chaossblade IncGamers Member

Levelling

hi i just started playing diablo 2 one week ago after i bought the battle chest( yes i know its rather late but...) and now i have a lev 25 bowazon in act 2. I'm wondering if i should go kill duriel now or should just lev up more before doing so, as i keep getting killed by the minions in the tomb... and also what lev should i be at before facing each boss of the acts???

2. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

Welcome to the forums! Good to see new blood.

If you are being killed by the minions, I would level more. Maybe to lvl 30 before you try Duriel. He is a pain. Pump dex for more damage and a little more in life. Then for act three you will probably be around lvl 40, then act 5 probably lvl 45 or 50.

Tell us about the character you are playing and her gear, perhaps we can help you with skill points and make some suggestions to help.

Good luck!

3. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

My usual level progression is probably something like this...

15 Andariel
    20 Duriel
    23 Mephisto
    25 Diablo
    30 Baal

but it also depends a lot on the character I'm playing...a bowazon is definitely going to have problems with Duriel so leveling a bit is adviced..If you can get to lvl 30 get 1 point in Valkyrie and he shouldn't be too difficult to take down...Valkyrie is a very good skill...get it!!! About lvl's for act bosses, if you try to take them on and they are too difficult, just go back and level, if they are easy enough...no problem. Good luck.

4. JasonBriggs

JasonBriggs IncGamers Member

seen as though ur new to d2 chaossblade do you want some bowazon equipment for free?

And if youre wanting to level up REALLY quick get a rush through to act 5 normal, kill the ancients and do normal baal runs. This is the quickest way to level up.

But if you dont want to do that just do what dacar92 and chimera told you.

5. Chaossblade

hey thanks alot for the advice! and of course iwould like some free equip but prob is i dont really understand the multiplayer ... im playing single player now using a bowazon with a crossbow... stats are strength 60, the rest of the points went to dexterity, vitality kept the same and energy kept the same... and i'm lev 25 now...

6. JasonBriggs

JasonBriggs IncGamers Member

ugh......dont play single player its boring :D if your single player i wouldnt be able to give you any items and i forgot that u could be a different realm to me too :(

just play around on battle.net and after a while you'll get the hang of it. I didnt have a clue at first but after a little exploring i found my way.

Oh well GL.

7. DudSpud

DudSpud IncGamers Member

Welcome, Chaoss.

Just a few quick bits of advice...

Go to the Single Player forum here, and get the program called ATMA. It will allow you to mule items between characters. Also, introduce yourself there, the people are pretty cool.

Hire an Act 2 merc, the defensive one, if you haven't already. He will run up and fight Duriel, giving you a chance to stand back and fire away. You have way too few HP to withstand a blow from him (put all 5 in vit next time). When the merc starts to get low in the HP's, hit shift and then the number of your belt slot that has healing potions in it - it will automatically feed the merc a potion.

Before fighting Duriel, drink 3 or 4 thawing potions - and give some to your merc, too. You can buy them from Lysander. These will increase your cold resistance (drinking more increases the length), which will help with the cold damage Duriel does due to his aura - that blue-ish glow is like the Paladin's Holy Freeze aura. It will always slow you, and it re-slows you every 1 or 2 sec, so it's no use to drink thawing potions as he slows you, because it wont last long. Oh, and you could have done the same potion trick with Andariel in Act 1, but with antidote potions.

As soon as I enter Duriel's chamber, I put up a town portal. Then I start whacking him until either he or my merc is dead, or until I run out of potions. Then I go back to town, heal up, resurrect the merc if needed, and repeat.

Also, the important issue is not the damage on the weapon but the damage you can do per second. And even if the ccrossbow you are using says it has "normal" attack speed, it is still slower than a "normal" attack speed bow. If you don't have a powerful rare (yellow colored name) or unique (gold colored name), get a long or composite bow with three sockets, and put at least one sapphire (the cold damage will also slow) and the rest topazs in it - you know that three gems of the same kind (i.e. sapphire) and the same class (i.e. flawed) can be put in that new cube of your's and transmuted to the next higher cless, with an increase in stats granted. Also, if you find a grey-colored bow (not grey named, i.e. has a socket) that says "Amazon Only," you could take it back to act 1 (go to the way point, and you will see a tab at the top that lets you move between all the acts you have been in) and have Charsi imbue it for you. It may turn out badly, but you could get lucky, and it will keep the "+1 to Bow Skills" bonus.

Also, I don't know what bow skills you are using, but I would suggest at least a point into cold arrow - give Duriel a taste of his own medicine!

Most importantly - these are merely suggestions. Feel free to completely ignore them and to play the game the way that is fun for you. Don't listen to anyone who tells you that you have to play the game a certain way.

Good luck,
    DudSpud

8. Chaossblade

thanks dud for the tips... but what does imbuing do? i know it only happens once per game so i'm afraid to try it out... yed i have a merc and he's lev 23 the prob now is that my corssbow has "very slow attack speed" although i do enough dmg to make up for it, i dont hit often enough and when meelee creatures gang up i suffer alot, especially when those ressurecting unravellers raise them up.. grr..

and is there any creature or place which gives good items? all the items i have now( most rare) are all from gambling...

another thing: where can i lev up effectively to 30 before facing duriel?? i'm currently going to the arcane sanctury but about 30 mins playing only nets me like 1 cm of my exp bar...

9. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

If you're on single player, while in game, hit enter, then "/players x" without the quotes. X is the number of players you wish to "mimick". You can go up to 8. After this the game thinks there are 8 players in the game and xp is multlipled. You will gain xp more quickly, but monsters will also have more hit points and are harder to kill.

Imbuing gives an item different stats. IIRC, it makes item a rare item. You can do it once per difficulty level. It is usually best done by a character in hell. I think it is clvl depenent.

10. DudSpud

DudSpud IncGamers Member

Imbuing effectively makes a rare item out of a normal "white-name" item. You can do it once per difficulty level, so each character has at most three tries at it. The reason that Dacar92 suggests you wait, I believe, is that the level of modifiers that the imbued item gets is your character level +5 (I think), and thus you will get better items if you imbue at a higher level. For me, when I was playing single player, I did not have access to trades, so I had to scrounge to get the best items I could. Maybe I got lucky, but my Javazon made imbued a Maidens' Javalin at level 30 that I took through to the beginning of Hell, when I got the runes to upgrade to Ceremonial, and used it on to mid-A4 Hell.

Again, because you are playing single player, it may be more difficult to get the normal items everyone recommends, and so you will have to get by with a little more thought. I highly recommend using Uzziah's crafting guide. He explains all of the methods of using the cube to make items that may be better than you can buy or find at this level. In fact, when I gave up those javalins I mentioned above, it was for a set that I crafted using the Safety Recipe.

Yeah, those unravellers are nasty. I usually run around the skeletons and take them out first, or try to lure the skeletons far away from the raiser so he can't see their corpse to raise it. Oh, and it is a good thing that you are keeping your merc near your level, this always helps. Shop for him a nice damage spetum, or use the recipe to make him a savage polearm - very powerful.

I still think that using that crossbow is the source of all your problems. It is slow, and even slower once Duriel chills you. I would keep it, but put it on switch, and use a faster though lower damge bow on the other switch. Against mobs, use the bow, against big single opponents, like those unravellers, use the crossbow. You may have leveled yourself out of the ability to buy 3 open socket bows, but if not, go back to A1 Gheed and buy a 3 os longbow or wait until a 3 os composite bow drops. Put a sapphire and a couple of topazs in it, you can increase the damage greatly and slow anything you hit - meaning that it doesn't swing at you as often as it would.

Uh, yeah, the best magic items in A2 are dropped by Duriel... Seriously, gambling is a great way to go, especially for rings, amulets, and circlets (something about "magic level" bonus leading to better mods - see Uzziah's guide)

I think that you may be better off running all of the False Tombs and monsters in the Canyon of the Magi - they have a higher area level (17 for both vs. 14 for the Arcane), which means that it has higher level monsters which gives higher XP and better items.

It has been a long time since I played SP, and I never played long enough to get much good gear, but if you get Atma, I can search my stash and email you a few tasty items if you need.

Bowzons in particular have a tough time with A1 Duriel, who, because of the items and skills available to all characters at those levels, can be the hardest boss of the whole game. In your case, it may be even more difficult because of the skill path you have chosen. How have you placed your skill points?

Good luck,
    DudSpud

11. Chaossblade

skill points

prereq: magic arrow, cold arrow, inner sight, decoy all 1 point

dodge, avoid, evade all 2

slow missiles, penetrate 1

critical strike 6

multiple shot 5

guided arrow 3

strafe 1

should be something like that i cant really remember but its prob quite accurate

12. DudSpud

DudSpud IncGamers Member

OK, that skill placement looks pretty good to me. I am amazed that, for someone just starting, you have shown such restraint. For my gals, I usually stop around there for CS because the returns start to diminish. Likewise, I tell myself that I don't need more than 1 D/A/E because I'll never get hit anyway (yeah, right). So I start to pump damage skills before protection skills. Multi is a great skill for mobs, but only one of those arrows can hit a single monster per volley, so use guided or cold arrow against singles - and I would probably alternate between the two for Duriel.

Also, decoy is a great skill. If you time/position it right, you can get Duriel to charge/swing at the decoy instead of you or your merc. The decoy is also great against the unravellers and their horde. The unraveller will shoot at her if she is closer, and the skeletons will mob her, allowing you room to move around and take out the unraveller. Still, at this point, 1 or at most a couple of skill points is all I would put in, just recast her when she pops. Oh, do you know about hotkeys?

Soon you will have to decide what kind of bowie you want to be. There is no good guide for a multizon in 1.10 that I have seen, but the Multi/Guided combo apparently was all the rage in earlier patches. Multi is still a great skill for certain situations - I still need to practice using it - but is not the skill all the cool kids are using (Strafe). Having said that, the bowazons I most respect suggest not maxing either multi or strafe, but using both depending on the situation. I suggest you try them both out and see how you like them.

As for Guided, it used to be able to pierce, meaning you could hit the same boss several times with the same arrow. This is no longer possible, so Guided has fallen from favor. Me, I have little experience with it, other than firing it off and running like mad on top of Mount Arreat. You'll see what I mean...

If you use Mulit/Strafe/Guided in some combination, these are all physical based attacks. Eventually (NM A4?), you will meet a monster that is immune to physical damage, and being solo, you will have to find a way to deal with this yourself. One possibility is skills - get a non-physical damage skill. My suggestions here would be cold or lightning. A second possibility is to have a weapon that deals significant elemental or magic damage. A third option is to have an elemental damage merc, like a cold rogue. A fourth option is to try to break the physical immunity with Amplify Damage or Decrepify curses, which can be found on wands and as "Chance to Cast" on certain items. Lastly, you can just try to run around the immune monster.

You will not have to worry about this now - I only bring it up because to suggest that you be careful about spending all of your skill points as soon as you get them.

Good luck,
    DudSpud