Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Levelling

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by jonnyrotten, Feb 11, 2004.

1. jonnyrotten

jonnyrotten IncGamers Member

Levelling

Maybe this is another dumb question but, even when using /players 8, it seems that levelling up gets progressively more difficult. I have a sorc up to level 19 and Im almost at the end of Act1. Thing is, she was up to level 15 about 1/3 the way through the act and its taken loads monster whacking to get to level 19.

Same happened with a Paladin I had, without using /players 8, he was 19 at the end of Act 1 but was only 29 by the time I was squaring up to Diablo.

So how does one get a character past level 30? Do you level faster in nightmare or hell? Do you have to play in nightmare or hell before you can get a decent character?

Thanks.

2. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

Levelling up gets slower and slower as you go along, since the experience required goes up steeply. You can get more experience by killing higher-level monsters, usually.

In 8-player games you should reach around level 45 by the time you complete Normal (in Expansion games; in Classic you'd be around 33). By the end of NM you should be around 75, and by the end of Hell you'd be around 85-90.

A good way to gain experience is to kill any Champions or boss-packs you see around. These give great experience, although they're also usually the most dangerous to kill (particularly if they're FE in late NM/Hell).

3. jonnyrotten

jonnyrotten IncGamers Member

Erm... at the risk of sounding like an accomplished imbecile, how to you set the difficulty level in the xpansion game? Is it not possible or am I offcially a gibbering moron?

4. spaker_man

spaker_man IncGamers Member

hehe, you're not a moron, just new .... and that's cool.

When you complete the game on normal dificulty you will have the option with that character to set the difficulty to nightmare when you make your next game. Likewise once you've completed nightmare with that character he/she will be able to make a hell game. It is specific to each character ... to ensure that a low level character does not go gallavanting around in hell.

5. Bullet-Tooth Tony

Bullet-Tooth Tony IncGamers Member

It's not like difficulty setting in other games. The game is not over with Baal's death in Normal mode. To understand it easier, you can consider Acts 1,2,3,4,5 in Nightmare mode Acts 6,7,8,9,10, and 11,12,13,14,15.

6. fishman

fishman IncGamers Member

So how does one get a character past level 30? Do you level faster in nightmare or hell? Do you have to play in nightmare or hell before you can get a decent character?

My preferred method of levelling is to pick an area with hard bosses, or uniques, and run it over and over. Watch your experience bar to see which areas gain a lot of points. Then invest a few mindless hours in running that same area repeatedly just to gain levels. If you get lucky, you'll get an experience shrine close to that area in your map seed, and you'll gain even faster.

7. Wolv

Wolv IncGamers Member

Thats the best way to lvl solo.

Other than that, try joining public games and work close w/ a group. You will find you lvl more quickly that way

8. distancepieman

distancepieman IncGamers Member

In my years of experience, I've found (It's also noted as proof) that the best way to lvl is to kill monsters that have a simmilar level to your own. I have a link to a great chart as to which acts give you the best xp per lvl, but I don't have it on this computer. I'll try to remember to post it later. Also as a side note, once you hit 30ish, baal runs will be about the best bet. Join up with groups and run with them. Just make sure you don't kill baal himself until you get closer to lvl 45 or so, or you might be too low to handle nm well.

9. spaker_man

spaker_man IncGamers Member

Are you seriously suggesting he play on open B.Net? ewwwww ;)

just keep plugging away, level 19 is a little high for act1 which is why you aren't getting much exp. When exp slows down like that it's a clue that you should have moved on to the next area of the game.