Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Leveling Mercs

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by donlw, Mar 11, 2004.

1. donlw

donlw IncGamers Member

Leveling Mercs

I have rushed a couple characters above level 80 on the ladder. There is no way mercs could keep up. Sometime soon, I am thinking of going back through the game with a merc, allowing it to kill everything and build it up to my character level.

One of the rushed chars is a sorc, so I'm planning to be tank for my merc, use static field to weaken the attackers, so merc can kill quickly.

Any suggestions for similar strategy for non-sorcs? Are there items that give static field to non-sorcs? I guess I could get item that casts weaken?? I want something to make it faster for my merc, but allow merc to kill to get the max exp.

Thanks for any comments on this.

2. krmetal

krmetal IncGamers Member

I have this problem also. My characters are from lvl 60-80, but my merc are lvl 20-50. I was wondering if the same experience leveling chart applies to mercs just as it does to characters? That they need to play in certain acts and certain lvls (norm, nm, hell) as we do for the max experience. :scratch:

3. donlw

donlw IncGamers Member

Mercs get a lot more experience if they do the killing rather than you. Also, I think they don't get much experience if you kill things for them and you are much higher than them.

I've had the fastest merc leveling by playing with the merc in the area of the game where they are just strong enough to kill things fairly easily. As a rule of thumb I choose an act for my merc to level in where he is around the level of the highest level of mercs that are being sold in that Act.

If others have a better answer to this, please provide.

4. Tinfoot

Tinfoot IncGamers Member

Actually, I have excellent Merc leveling in the Tombs, Act 2 as a Necro (its not entirely wide open so it prevents the goon from getting overly swamped but not too tight to get him caught up in bad pathing).

I just spam Dim Vision and let ole boy run around kaking everything one by one. :cool:

5. bunghole

bunghole IncGamers Member

I dont have the most experience in this subject. But if you have a way of mass killing yourself, just do it yourself. While you merc only gets 1/2 exp (right?) you kill 4 times as fast, at least. Just kind of make sure you are going to the right place for him.

6. Good-At-Trading

Good-At-Trading Banned

I just simply hire a merc and he comes along on my mf runs. On my sorc I lvled my defiance merc from lvl 9 I just would do normal cows for some friends and he would tag along, then he followed me on my mf runs. Paladin I did the same I just basically did runs and stuff cleared act4 on hell entirely and he lvls up rather quickly.

7. tl998

tl998 Banned

Kill (or have him kill) lots of still in areas that fit this condition: |Area level-Merc level| <= 5

If in multiplayer games, so much the better.