Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Leveling Guide

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Shadow_247, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Shadow_247

Shadow_247 IncGamers Member

Leveling Guide

When 1.10 arrived, leveling was re-written. In my opinion, for the best, but many will disagree. Whether you like the modifications or hate them, we are stuck with them, and should make the best of our stay. There have been so many threads asking the same question: Where is the best place to level up? The answers given have been all over the page. Below I offer my view on the fastest leveling method.

Be warned that this is not a solo guide, a good friend is needed at some points. This is for those people that already have one character and are looking to have another quickly and easily.

How Does Experience Work?

Rather than repeating what has previously been said a thousand times, I will point you to a fairly thorough explanation of how experience penalties, experience sharing and other experience twibbles work. The Arreat Summit, the official Diablo II site has that thorough explanation here.

Where to Level

This is my method, I'm sure you've seen many others but this seems to work quickly and painlessly. I did it once solo on a ridiculously twinked out zealot, and once more as a un-twinked skellimancer in a full party of level 1s. Both tests were done in private, 8-player battle.net ladder games. The solo zealot played in SC, the partied skellimancer was HC.

You will notice that the first 12 or so levels flow quite nicely, and those after take some abrupt turns. Stamina potions were very useful and helped the whole process move along quickly.

Levels 1-3

Start on the path that heads out of town into the Blood Moor. Make your way down the path, and try not to stray too far off it. Kill every thing that comes within site on the path until you arrive at the Den of Evil. For me, i took the wrong split and ended up backtracking both times - this may account for the number of levels I got.

Levels 3-5

Kill everything in the Den. If you are partied don't get more than 2 screens apart or no experience will be gained. Make your way out of the Den and travel to the cold plains. Grab the waypoint, head back to town and get the extra skill from Akara.

Levels 5-7

Take the cold plains waypoint and take the path to the burial grounds. Remember to kill everything on and around the path. Clear out the burial grounds, then the mausoleum, then the crypt.

Levels 7-9

Make your way back to where the path split to go to the burial grounds and head to the stoney field - again killing everything in sight. At this point, if you are not quite at the level, move off the path and kill everything in the cold plains and stoney field until you get close to level 9.

Levels 9-11

Descend down into the Underground Passage. Clear out the first level, and the second if you feel you need more levels. You may then emerge in the dark wood. Get on the path and head to the Black Marsh. Still killing everything you come across, continue on the path until you reach the Forgotten Tower.

Levels 11-12

Drop into the Forgotten Tower and start clearing. You only need to kill until you hit 12, but if you want to keep going feel free. At level 12 have a friend rush you to act 2.

Levels 12-16

Go into the sewers and make your way to Radament, killing everything on the way. Repeat running the sewers until you hit 16 - it should not take many runs.

Levels 16-20

Get rushed to the end of act 2 by a friend. Go to the Canyon of the Magi and clear out the tombs until you hit 20.

Levels 20-24

At this point most will call in reinforcements. Create the cow level with a character who has beaten normal and have a high level friend clear it out a few times for you. You should reach 24 without a worry.

Levels 24-25

Get rushed through to act 5 and kill the ancients, you will get a level.

Levels 25-(45-50)

At 25 start baal runs. Public games are usually fine as long as they have 8 players. Personally I find killing baal himself a waste of time as he gives significantly less xp than his minions and has such terrible drops in normal. The choice of (45-50) is yours, depending on how able you are to handle NM.

Levels (45-50)-(70-80)

Have a friend rush you when you decide you've had enough of normal baal. Start NM baal runs and again, the choice of when to move on is yours.

Levels (70-80)+

Get rushed, or play though hell. If you are only level 70 you may want to run some of the easy level 85+ hell areas before going to all the way to baal. Start hell baal runs at the earliest convenience. When people reach level 90, many will do Hell Diablo and then Hell Baal one after the other to gain more experience.

Questions, Comments, Additions are welcome.

2. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

your guide depends heavily on other people. i'm sure it's very fast but not useful at all for people just starting out. at worst, they sit around in channels begging for rushes/eq/help, at best, they end up in hell at clvl 20 with no idea how to play.

if you wish to pursue this guide, i would recommend:
    1. effective eq at all levels, 1-30 are the most important imho.
    2. making good eq if none is available.
    3. general levelling guide rather than just running the same mobs over and over.
    4. rather than asking/getting help, trying to figure out things for themselves.

i've thought about making one, but it's almost impossible to make one to cover every class/build, unless it is so general it's near useless.

3. Shadow_247

Shadow_247 IncGamers Member

I don't know if i'll be pursuing this a long way. This guide is really not meant for those starting out. It is focused on those who already have a high level character and are looking to rush another up to the high plateau. There is a solo guide somewhere that details the leveling method for someone making and breaking in a "first" character, but that was not my intent in this guide.

4. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

then there's no need at all to bring in other people. once i get a char to the end of nm, i can manufacture all the eq i need to start off others, with good eq all the way through.

5. Dracoy

Dracoy IncGamers Member

Very good gudie and VERY useful. I will use it :)

6. K-Lined

K-Lined IncGamers Member

^What he said. :thumbsup:

7. MocTeru

MocTeru IncGamers Member

Well written guide. :thumbsup:

My method for leveling up my new inspiriations (new builds) is very similar and has worked well for me in 1.10.

You did a service with that post. Kudos.

8. qhc

qhc IncGamers Member

Good guide
    for me I like enchant
    lv1
    get rush to act2-5, get some wps.

lv1-20
    get any bow, and a rogue merc with any bow, bows work best with enchant here. Get enchant, find monsters about 5 lv higher than you, gogogo kill them.

If you want to get the best lv up speed, lv up in 4+ppl game, get unique long bow at lv15, get as much frw/ias as you can, kill big packs only.

Any enchant >1000 is enough for use here, the longer duration the better.

lv20+
    I agree to the guide.

9. spencert

spencert IncGamers Member

STAMPED ENDORSED!!! Nice guide.

After making more than 10 characters in 1.10, I have found this method to be the quickest and most effecient way to lvl up. Most important point to note is from lvl 20-24 in normal cow and not to move on to harder difficulties, ie nm & hell until you reached the minimum desired lvls.

Those just starting out should try to make friends that can help you lvl up. Can be a real frustrating experience if you dunno what you are doing...

10. A_S_G

A_S_G IncGamers Member

What's with the big red words?

I use my enchant sorc, level really quicly, but basically do what you do.

11. Variable_Angel

Variable_Angel IncGamers Member

people still underestimate hsarus methinks.

my guide for leveling (based on character help)
    get rushed to hell baal, do baal runs. even with the 5% penalty you level like no other.

guide for leveling (solo)
    do den 3 times
    do tristram runs about 10-15 times until level 9
    do blood raven and clean out mausoleum and crypt (you should save blood raven later on for optimal experience, and i forget what level she is.)
    do raven runs and get goodies from the chests in the m/c. until 14
    andy..... until 18
    sewers/arcane until 20
    cows (you don't really need friends, people do it out of generosity methinks, or i'm just charismatic. ^^) until 24
    rest i agree with, good guide. i'm gonna try yours and see how it compares to mine.

like said above: kudos
    Roux