Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Leveling a little merc

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Gix, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Gix

Gix Diabloii.Net Member

Leveling a little merc

I bought a slave in norm (lvl 11) and I was wondering where are the best places to raise it up to 45. (I don't have access to norm cows because someone killed the king).

-Gix

2. Aerath

Aerath Diabloii.Net Member

Sewer Runs -> Arcane Runs -> (Fake) Tomb Runs -> Kurast Runs

Probably would sooner prefer making a new cow game with another char and then bringing the char in that you want to run the cows with than continuing after 20.

Once you hit 25 you can do Baal Runs & Cow Runs* with the merc. Once he's 30 you could try n include Shenk/Eldritch runs just for fun =)

(*Doing both keeps you from getting booted, and the combination still levels your merc fast)

3. Feetstench

Feetstench Diabloii.Net Member

I always found the Shenl/Elderitch/Pindle to be the best once you hit 26.

Cows can take too long for some Charcters at that level.

4. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind Diabloii.Net Member

The way they meant you to level him

http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=551#Experience

Right below that link are the area levels. Ideally you should be five levels or less above your mercenary, and you should never be in an area five levels above him. So, assuming you're not any higher than CLvl16, start in Canyon of the Magi (or Far Oasis if you're not that far yet) until he hits 12, then do tomb runs until he hits 16 (proceeds to act three afterward). If you get at least your fair share of the kills, a group game can level him like mad.

5. Aerath

Aerath Diabloii.Net Member

Fake Tombs give decent XP up to lvl ~18-~20

Wouldn't run act III till lv 18 at least.

// btw, good point about the ease of cows depending on char choice.
    Wouldn't advise it for a bundle of chars, but sorcy or javazons work wonders there.

6. Superhal

Superhal Diabloii.Net Member

leave the merc screen open and go to several different areas. stay in the area he gets the most from direct kills.

however, at that level, he isn't going to be killing much on his own. you can try the brute force method. what i did was make below-my-level (eg. if i'm in hell, make nm) baal run games, tele for the group (with my sorc), and then quickly kill everything else around the throne and my merc would get a little. then, i would help out for the last 3 waves. in about 15 runs or so, i got my merc up to a level where he could do some killing on his own.

7. Zephyrin

Zephyrin Diabloii.Net Member

Baal runs are not too good for Mercs, because they do not get exp from kills done by other chars in party. Also they can get pretty easily killed, loss of time.

I prefer areas with lots of monsters, Tomb Runs, A3, River of Flame, depending on the merc level vs area level and following the -5/+5 rule. Remember also that in normal the mlvl does not strictly match the alvl. Let the merc kill as much as possible, because he gets only 1/5 (IIRC) of the exp if you do the killing yourself.