Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

level difficulty on b.nett

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by slap, Jun 8, 2005.

1. slap

slap Diabloii.Net Member

level difficulty on b.nett

hi...i have been wondering why i have been struggling with some monsters. i have thought..jeez...bet these are hard in games with 6/7/8 players. but..reading someone's post on these forums about how they were going to try single player on 8player setting, got me thinking. (when logging on to play on b.nett, i always used to up the players numbers even though i am playing single hcl). well, i just altered the setting to single player. you know what...she is making mincemeat of all the baddies that i thought were tough. i learn something new all the time with this game.

still not found my ravenfrost...my amazon babe is now at level 84.

take care all.

2. HardyTarget

HardyTarget Diabloii.Net Member

So you're wondering the difficulty difference between ladder & single player..or?
    I think single player in general is easier than ladder.
    I've tried the same thing and in single player even with 8-player mode enabled, you can slice & dice the monsters pretty easily alone.
    Though it might just be my imagination, but that's what I heard.

3. TopHatCat64

TopHatCat64 Diabloii.Net Member

Singleplayer is more difficult for two reasons:

1. The FE Bug, I believe this was fixed on the realms but it still exists in SP. Fire enchanted monsters do MUCH more damage then they are supposed to and this damage carries over in strange ways like in the lightning bolts from LE FE's and from the poison explosion from unique walking corpses.

2. And the massive amount of duped runes, charms, rares on the realms.

Harder monsters, less powerful equipment.

Other then that though 1-8 players on singleplayer is exactly the same as 1-8 players on bnet.

4. rawrj

rawrj Diabloii.Net Member

fe bug has not been patched, in nm that is, go try it, go do council in nm with one with fe, and kill him and get hit, 6 time out of time depends on your life you will die to the explosion, its not a good way to die in hcl, i have lost many chars to the council, ...... even a lvl 89 druid rushing my mate hurricane on, port on top of council BOOM deeds...........

5. mhl12

mhl12 Diabloii.Net Member

try playing with groups. You can find a good number of friendly people here in the playermatchup forum. :thumbsup:

6. jiansonz

jiansonz Diabloii.Net Member

This sounds like you talk about the actual death explosion. That´s not a bug. It´s just plain lethal.

The FE bug is when this death explosion damage is applied at times when it´s not supposed to.

7. rawrj

rawrj Diabloii.Net Member

yes but i mean, in norm or hell the explosion does like half the damage it does in nm, i always hated rushing nm, thats where the bug still lies in nm fe death explosion

8. jiansonz

rawrj, I don´t think you understood me. You still talk about the death explosion (as far as I understand). Reading your first post again, I see that this damage apparently has been nerfed in Hell on the realms (I didn´t know that, I only play Single Player). I think a thorough explanation of what we talk about is in order:

Death explosion (NOT a bug!)
    When an FE boss died, it deals damage according to 60-100% of its life (half physical damage, half fire damage). This is a part of the game. It has always been like this, since Classic.

Since 1.10 brings monsters with lots of more life, this is much more of an issue now than it was in previous versions. In early realms play (and still in SP) any Hell boss with a reasonable amount of life is potentially lethal when it dies. The explosion can be blocked (and also Dodged/Avoided) if you are an amazon)
    FE bosses with little life (like Fallen and imps) are survivable for most characters even if you take the damage. Bosses with more life can be survivable if you have good amounts of life/fire resist/absorb/PDR, but don´t count on it.

It can be lethal in NM as well (as you describe), if the boss has a lot of life. I think you are talking about Geleb Flamefinger in your first post. He´s always FE. He´s also Extra Strong, which means that the physical part of the explosion damage gets a big boost. Might/Fanaticism, and if you get cursed with Amplify Damage, will also increase the physical damage taken.

Solution for HC play: do NOT stand close to FE bosses in Hell (and the 'high-life' ones in NM) when they die.

From your description, it sounds like you have it easier in Hell (that you don´t need to stay away from dying FE bosses). I wouldn´t call that change a bugfix, I´d call it a nerf.

The FE bug

Now we get to the fun part. For some reason, the programmers really screwed one thing up in 1.10. Under some circumstances, FE bosses will deal their FE explosion damage even before they are dead. It is not yet confirmed if it´s physical + fire damage or if it´s pure fire. Your character either dies or takes a big chunk of damage and the boss is still alive!

Other than staying away from high-life FE bosses when they die, Single Players also need to watch out in these situations:

* FE + LE bosses.
    The bolts carry (some or all) of the FE explosion damage. Very lethal, already in NM. Beetles are a special case. Consider all FE beetles to be FE + LE. Even the minions of an FE boss.

Fire absorb seems to be excellent in these situations. Once a barb of mine equipped a Dwarf Star, he could melee FE + LE bosses in Hell (but he made sure to back off before they died!) whereas an FE + LE Ghoul Lord in NM nearly killed him (took off >1000 life with a few sparks) several times.

Solution for HC play: In Hell and NM, do NOT stand close to FE + LE bosses or FE beetles or FE beetle minions (or beetle minions when their boss´abilities are unknown to you :D) when they take any kind of damage. If you absolutely must melee them, equip fire absorb gear.

* Mummy (Dried Corpses, etc.) minions belonging to an FE mummy boss
    The poison death cloud somehow "carries" the FE explosion damage, even if you stand still and don´t actually get poisoned by the cloud.

Solution for HC play : In Hell, do NOT stand next to FE mummy minions when they die. Think of them as FE bosses.

(btw, standing next to the actual FE mummy boss when it dies is just asking for trouble. If you don´t block it, you take the FE explosion damage twice!)

* Ancients
    An FE Ancient will "pulsate" their FE explosion damage often. It has been suggested that the moment it goes off is the moment the Ancient starts an attack animation. Since Ancients have huge amounts of life, no character can survive the FE bug damage in Hell (and most can´t in NM either).

Solution for HC play : Do NOT stand even remotedly close to an FE Ancient! Ever.
    If you aren´t 100% sure you can take them down without ever getting close to the FE one, immediately cast a TP.

* "Pindleskin´s Revenge"
    'Reanimated Horde' type monsters have a chance to rise again if you kill them. However, bosses aren´t "allowed" to rise again. Guess what? The game solves this by immediately "killing" the boss again if it tries to rise. There is no graphics displaying this, but if the boss is FE, the FE explosion damage will be dealt. Nice, eh? :rolleyes:

Solution for HC play: There are three different things you can do:
    * Use up the corpse (if you use a skill that requires you to stand close, do it quickly after the boss dies)
    * Loot the corpse the first few seconds after it dies, then stay the Hell away from it.
    * Wait a loooong time (several minutes) before looting. The probabality for more than 5 consecutive 'rise from the dead' attempts is very low.

9. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

That explains a lot of strange deaths of my sorc :lol:

10. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 Diabloii.Net Member

A bug isn't necessarily restricted to unintentional behavior. If the FE death damage is "way off scale" to be called reasonable, it's a bug in the design.

Sure, if I'm a barb I could be "expected" to carry some ranged weapons with me --- carefully reduce a FE boss hitpoints to a manageable amount, retreat and whittle off the last hitpoints from a safe distance. The question is whether this is really a great idea for the gameplay --- if Blizzard has thought about this and their design papers say it's ok, then maybe it's not a bug but just bad design.

Either way, it should be fixed.

11. jiansonz

Yes, that´s how I have always played my meleers. And that´s the way I want the game to be. I want the explosions to be lethal in the late game. Makes Hell with a meleer a true challenge in HC.

I know many players don´t agree with this, but I like it.

Btw, here are some other methods of taking the last bit o´ life away:

* Merc
    * Poison damage (including Rancid Gas potions)
    * Open Wounds
    * Charges with skills like Lightning, Frozen Orb, Hydra, etc.