Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Level 18 Light Sorc

Discussion in 'PvP' started by theheft, May 21, 2008.

1. theheft

theheft IncGamers Member

Level 18 Light Sorc

This isnt a guide since ive not made it, im after advice and guidance.

Im planning on making a level 18 lightning sorc in the near future and am after some pointers in the right direction.

Below is the gear I had in mind

Start out gear

3 socket mask 3 pskulls or saphs
    or
    Tarnhelm +1 skills
    Stealth armour, 25% frw, 25% fhr, 25% fcr
    Nokozan Amulet - +1 all skills
    2 x FCR ring
    Manald Heal - life, mana regen
    Deaths Belt - cannot be frozen
    Bloodfist - Huge life and FHR for level
    Cowking Boots, lots of dex for blocking
    Bone Shield of Deflecting 2 socs....not sure what to socket it with....
    Orb with +3 Lightning

Advanced gear (stuff that will take for ever to find!)

Circlet + 1 Light, 10 FCR, Mana, Life, Replen...pskull or saph.
    Amulet + 1 Light, 10 FCR, mana, life, replen
    Stealth, 25% frw, 25% fhr, 25% fcr
    Deaths belt
    or
    Crafted cast belt with 10FCR, life, mana, replen
    2 x FCR rings, life, mana, replen
    Manald heal - life, mana regen
    Cowkings - dex for blocking
    Bloodfist - Huge life and FHR for level
    Bone shield of deflecting, hopefully a nice rare one with good stats, otherwise a plain old blue one - again not sure what to put in here
    Orb with + 1 light, + 3 lightning + tele, life, mana, replen

Switch orb with +1 cold, + 3 cold armour, frozen armour...not sure which is best

Hitting the 63 FCR breakpoint is what im aiming for and I get 25 from stealth, 10 from circ, 10 from amulet, 10 from orb and 10 from a ring which = 65 so that means a manald can be used for the life replen and mana regen. The other option is to ditch both FCR rings and use 2 manalds and get a FCR belt, still hit the 63 breakpoint but no with 40% mana regen.

Charms will be 15 lifers with mana, and large mana charms.

I need to know what is best to put into the shield for a sorc as well.....im think rubies for vs my fire sorc friend to stack up vs him! But for general pubbies im not too sure.

Stats wise

First build will be dex for block, strength for gears, then life with points going into energy, once ive got decent charms and gear it'll get remade with just strength for gears and dex for block with everything else going into life, providing I have enough mana.

Skills wise....

29 skills to play with so lets max out damage synergies first..

18 charged bolt
    6 Lightning
    1 Chain Lightning

25 total there, leaving 4 to play with, if I get tele on an orb that is.....

Advise, tips and knowledge please!

Although a fire sorc is probably the better option, someone I duel with regularly on b.net has one so I dont want to copy.

Reason for wanting to make this is I have had a level 18 zealot (I accidenaly deleted all my level 18 grand charms when I created a new LLD account as I thought I had taken everything off the character!), he has been re-made at level 21 and I also have a lvl 21 charger and a bowa, all of which I dont think im going to bother re-making at the lower level. I want to use something different, and out of all the builds I had going through my head, a sorc or bone nec seemed the best options.

2. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Member

Re: Level 18 Light Sorc

nokozan doesnt have 1skill, you're thinking of etlich.

2x fcr rings + manald = 3 rings?

a good belt for when you dont need cbf is lenymo

elds would be good for shield. ith would be good for vs anything other than another caster.

honestly i dont think you're going to be doing much damage. i've met a few ice blast sorcs and they do good damage, but i've never seen a light sorc do much even at level 30.

3. theheft

theheft IncGamers Member

Sorry I meant 2 x FCR ring with a manald as back up for the extra mana regen if the 63% breakpoint is already reached :D

I used one of the damage calculators that are floating about and max damage worked out at around 400, but as always with lightning has a low average.

I want to make a caster of some sort though....Bone necs are very strong when made properly at this level but again the guy I duel regularly with has one :D a cold sorc could be the way to go in that case, they have pretty good damage (around 5-600 with good gear!)

Although ive not had a play about with any of the other classes (apart from seeming how much a charged strike ama would do, which turned out to be pityful!).

CDM can you reccomend any level 18 caster to me at all?

In some way I prefer HLD as the items (runewords) are much easier to get hold of than some of the rares and magics that 90% of b.net will use to cash up with!

4. crawlingdeadman

i've been playing an 18 fissure and met another one so they're kicking around. in the past i've dueled a fury sin (looked like lots of fun), ice blasters, bow sin, double throw barbs, bowazons, hammerdins, and ofc one or two spear necs. 18 casters are really hard to equip well as you've pointed out (i group rangers in there too as they have a lot of similar characteristics).

i've got done with my cheap and dirty gear on my fissure druid and am now in the process of gearing him a bit better.

5. theheft

theheft IncGamers Member

Ive got a level 21 bowzon at the minute :D Its quite effective with 9 10 max, 7 frw Grand charms, it surprises a few level 29/30's and have scored a fair few wins vs them

A fissure druid did cross my mind but I wasnt sure on the damage they would do, I shall have a play about in a bit :D

Thanks again CDM.

6. theheft

theheft IncGamers Member

CDM,

What sort of equips should I be looking for? This is what I had in my head anyway

Druids work off the same FCR as necs dont they? 48, 75, 125?

+3 Fissure Druid pelt, life, mana, replen, resists......would be nice to have +3 oak sage and +3 firestorm but chances of that are slim.
    Eye of eltich, or +1 Elemental, life, mana, replen amy
    Stealth - FCR, FRW, FHR, mana regen
    2 Socket bone shield of deflecting with 2 eths for mana regen/ Sigon on switch with an eth for slight oak sage prebuff and extra skill level when blocking speed isnt an issue (provding I have strength for it)
    Maelstrom - FCR
    2 x Manald Heal - life, replen, mana regen
    Cowkings - standard
    Deaths belt or Lenymo - deaths for CBF, lenymo for mana regen
    Bloodfists - Life, FHR

I played about with the skills and fissure was at about 300-400 with 4 extra skills (3 from the pelt, one from the amy) I think it could work quite well. Should have over 100% mana regen and providing I have enough mana it should be enough, getting a vulpine bone shield could also help for vs melee for the damage to mana.

I duelled a level 30 lightsorc last night as it happens, my bowa could tank a hell of a lot of hits considering shes only got 500 life and 68 light resi, fire sorcs usually kill me in about 3 hits so thanks for advising me away from that route!

7. crawlingdeadman

no, necs and pallys share break points. druids are different and i dont feel you should even worry about it because of fissure's timer.

mine is a starter set up of:
    tarnhelm
    stealth
    sigon shield (with a -req)
    deaths/lenymo
    cow kings
    angelics rings, ammy, weapon

the reason i went with angelics is i totally forgot about etlich for one. the other reason is that with 3 pieces you get +1 skill on the ammy, the sword has 50 mana with 3 pieces and the gigantic life/replen that you get from the rings/ammy. i think sig is a big mistake for main shield. the skill is not worth the dex/str reqs nor the frw you lose from having a 'heavy' shield. i wouldnt use it on switch either because even with a -req jewel its really heavy compared to your other gear.

what i'm shooting for:
    1ele/3fissure rare hat with nice mods ( or just a 3os/3fissure hat to put skulls in)
    1ele/replen ammy
    stealth (the other 18 druid i've met used a 3os light plate with skulls. i'm not so sure i'd want to give up the great mods of stealth, but it worked for him)
    manalds or good mana/replen rings possibly with fcr
    deaths/rare fhr/life/replen belt
    cow king*
    bone shield of deflecting with damage to mana and any other cool mods i can get
    +1 elemental club socketed with 2x stats/good mods jewels

*when i made my guy i didnt have ck boots so i figured out how much dex i'd need and used dex charms for temp. i found that i'd only use a bit of the dex so i wonder if this gear slot wouldnt be better suited to a good pair of rares. i'd still want 30 frw, but i can think of a lot of stuff that could spawn that'd be more helpful than a handful of stats.

for skills i wound up having i think 3 extra after maxing fissure and it's synergy (for their respective levels). so i wound up getting ravens and poison creeper. i think poison creeper was a great idea because it'll help keep anyone from regenerating life. ravens are always cool for sending people into block animation. i also got oak of course and i can see someone saying to put the spare points into it, but honestly it dies so much it's not worth it imo.

ps. i tried to look up the fhr/fcr break points, but i cannot find my link and the place i used to go here has been moved (prolly burried in the wiki somewhere). fcr should be a minor detail you worry about last imo. since fissure has such a big timer that has very little to gain by getting higher fcr.

8. uptoolayte

uptoolayte IncGamers Member

Lvl 18 seems to offer SO much more when you go with melee. The items available just don't compare to that of a barb, wolf, or the 18 king zealer. I'd spend the effort into making a lvl 30 sorc if you want to compete with others.

9. theheft

theheft IncGamers Member

Thats the whole point :D

Zealots are the most powerful Level 18 melee build.....Ive had one, liked it but want to make something different that you dont see very often. I currently have one at level 21 (and a charger) and both can trash level 29's and 30's depedning on how good they are and if I get good DS rolls. Ive made sure my 21's use only level 18 jewells and equip so they can be swaped across if I decide to remake them at the lower level.

Ive decided im going to make a bone spear nec first, and then a Fissure druid as I already have a wand (and hopefully a head!) for the nec.

Casters can compete at the level, it just requires a bit more thinking, time and effort than melee.....dizzymejew can vouch for this im sure, he's seen Ignis in action, a level 18 Fire sorc that is very, very strong.