Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

level 12 merc, level 33 Frost Zealot

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Wraithan, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Wraithan

Wraithan IncGamers Member

level 12 merc, level 33 Frost Zealot

So, I made a bad choice when it came to picking a merc and now I went back and choose a blessed aim merc but I am having troubles leveling it. Andy runs/act 2 sewers seem to run the best right now, but looking for input.

2. corax

corax IncGamers Member

if andy/ sewer runs seem best then do those. dont forget to throw some MF onto your frostzealot for a better shot at lower lvl items.

Blessed aim is for wusses, throw on angelic ammy/ring and go with might :D

3. Wraithan

lol i was actually trying to trade for a angelic ammy so i could use the ammy ring and armor for the MF and life and skills and what not. so you think Might would be better? I was using a Act3 Lit merc before *hangs head in shame*

4. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

Really depends on your goals. The typical goal of killing off hell baal and retire is pretty difficult with an act 3. There's a great guide to merc use up in the stickies somewhere. The rule of thumb for mercs is to go with might if you do physical damage, and holy freeze if you do elemental. Not always the case, but it's a good rule of thumb. Blessed Aim is hardly ever used in that you can get gobs of AR through the use of items.

End game is really different from leveling up, and it's really hard to plan for a game you haven't played yet. I tried using the prayer merc once because I was tired of resting after each combat to allow my minnions to heal. Big mistake. They couldn't scratch paint off a car.

5. Wraithan

Well I plan on makin this char up to level 90ish or so, so i plan on doing the most physical and elemental I can (20 Zeal, 20 Sacrifice, 20 Holy Freeze, 20 Resist Cold, 20 Salvation, 5 Holy Shield) so I think I will change again and go with a might merc.

6. corax

corax IncGamers Member

good call. AR isn't that rare of a commodity and due to the decreasing returns it's possible to finish the game with 3-4k AR at lvl 79 easily enough

7. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

yah... the only reason for not going might with that build is for style points. Give your might merc a big hurty stick and some good armor and he could probably finish the game by himself.

8. Wraithan

Gunna run with a act five merc till i can get to NM act2. Figure it wont need leveling and can do a decent bit of DPS till i get a might merc

9. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Witbh a ight merc and you zealing with a big hurty stick will be a pain when doing baal runs, since the OK's can spawn in WSK 3 and throne room, and theres no way to god you'll be wanting to zeal within a screen and a half of any OK's when your at that level.
    But for general questing and other areas then a might merc would probably giove you the most noticable boost, certainly more than blessed aim.
    However, if your having problems with AR now, keep with your current merc, then get a might one in nm.

10. PyroStock

PyroStock IncGamers Member

Dumping the Act3 Lit Merc was already a big improvement.

I would recommend Might or Defiance (unless you have an Exile waiting).

Blessed Aim is ok (much better than Act3 Lit), but then if your Merc dies (like fighting HellAncients or tough ActBoss) you're AR sucks at a time you need it most. I prefer to solve AR through equipment like Angelic combo or Hellmouth Gloves or high AR weapon (like Baranar) or Hsarus combo or DemonLimb, etc. etc. Charms and Eth can help too. But it's up to you.

11. Quickdeath

Quickdeath IncGamers Member

Actually, a frost zealot or tesladin is one of the very few builds for which a blessed aim merc makes a lot of sense. Read the guides and you'll see.

I've played both and here's the story: AR is a continuing problem for a frost zealot or tesladin -even when maxing Zeal!. They deliver lots of elemental damage and some physical, but % chance to hit is a concern. I have played with a Blessed Aim Merc and still wished I had more AR, Some people who play elemental zealots actually put points in the Blessed Aim skill for the +5% to AR passive bonus -but I don't recommend that.

A BA Merc allows you to limit your investment in Zeal to 5-10 points, freeing up 10-15 skill points for something else.

One key factor is your secondary skill. If physical damage is your secondary skill to deal with immunes, then a might merc might make sense. But so would a strategy of switching away from holy freeze (when faced with CIs) and using Concentrate (with a few points invested in it. ) Concentrate is better than might.

Bottom-line: BA Merc is very workable, and the guide says that it is the preferred Merc. Your mileage may vary.

12. corax

corax IncGamers Member

Counter argument: BA is suxx0r n00b1!!!1!!!!seven!11!! :D

The point i'm making of avoiding BA and going for might is that your character should be able to function when you lose the merc. If you rely on BA to hit things and the ancients pummel him where does that leave you, losing a might merc, yep you lose some damage but you can still do the job.

10-15 points saved from zeal, who wants to miss out on AR and Damage. nobody except Nooby McNoob, thats who

Might mercs due to the fact they do more damage can leech more life, hence are more survivable than BA mercs.

Hence in every situation i can think of Might merc > BA merc

13. frosty

frosty IncGamers Member

BA has its own uses, but if the zealot has something that has ITD, I would rather go for might.

When I rebuild frosty, he will be going might.

14. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Corax, more than 1/3 of the game is played before you can get a might merc, and this guy is still in that 1/3 of the game, so at the moment, he cannot get a might merc. And given a choice from the normal mercs, BA for a zealot is probably the best option. He may change to a nm merc when he gets that far, but BA, as QD pointed out, many zealot experts suggest a BA merc for the whole game. Also, not everyone has the angelic ring/ammy combo, and since he said he was trying to trade them, i presume he doesnt have that option at the moment, or maybe prehaps he has better items to put in those slots for when he gets to act 2 nm.

15. El-Cupacabra

El-Cupacabra IncGamers Member

Stick with Blessed Aim. The guys telling you to go with Might have never played a frost zealot and really have no clue. Though you probably won't NEED BA till hell.

16. skoolbus

skoolbus IncGamers Member

might only adds about 200 damage to my frost zealot, personally, I would go with defiance

17. PyroStock

PyroStock IncGamers Member

You don't NEED BA in Hell, if you played a frost zealot enough and looked at how the "chance to hit" equation worked and various equipment options then you would know that.

I personally wouldn't have a lone Paladin depend on a Merc for his AR in Hell, you're not a Summon Necro with a dozen skeletons protecting the Merc. If someone else wants to fine like I said BA is ok, much better than that Act3Lit Merc.

My HC Frost Zealot uses defiance in Hell. My SC Zealot in Hell uses Might.

18. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

I'm not trying to start crap here, but when ever I hear "level 33" and "base level merc" I think "-act5"

-act5 isn't against forum rules but it is something that should be disclosed so let us know if it has a role in this dilemna

19. Wraithan

If I had a clue as to what you are talking about then maybe I could tell you whether or not it had a role or not. The reason I have a base level merc is due to changing what merc I wanted to use.

EDIT:

So the list of viable mercs is

Might
    Blessed Aim
    Defiance

I think that Defiance would be the one that helped me throughout the game, so once again I am going to hire a merc lol.

20. skoolbus

skoolbus IncGamers Member

-act5 is a command you add to the end of the diablo file or something and it lets you make new chars at lvl 33 that start in act 5

He said that he chose a poor merc and switched in his first post