Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Let's talk about probability

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Cerebron, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Cerebron

Cerebron IncGamers Member

Let's talk about probability

I read my Thermodynamics textbook today.

The book says, there exists a probability that you can walk into a wall without getting hit and ending up on the side. It happens because the atomic motion of each individual atom just happens to be in the exact position to let the every atom in your body to pass through without repulsion. This is not science fiction. This is quantum mechanics.

The next paragraph says there ALSO exists a probability that the situation described above may (and very likely) never happen until the Universe ends. Darn.

Let's talk about MF now. Oh, what a leap. I'm not the person who should complain about not finding good runes and being pissed. I didn't even TRY to be lucky. I'm just curious about the "inexact math" that Blizzard invented. What's the best/rarest rune you've found so far and how long does it take you?

2. Peacrusher

Peacrusher IncGamers Member

Well to be honest.... I've found 2 ists (though not exactly sure if it was my kill or another persons) and I've found a couple of ums (from hell helforge) Nothing higher...

I get excited still when I find the occasional shael or sol or dol... Puls seem to be easy to comeby for me... don't know why...

Again with probability...

After several dozen pit runs I've only found 2 uniques... although elite normal gear drop often... Never found a set item from pit either... and blues are average...

shall we call blizzard's calculations "fuzzy math"?

*edit... Time it took to find those runes...Ists... 1 year playing w/o finding one... did find the other runes after my first ist... course my mf was over 590 at the time... MF isn't supposed to affect rune drops though.

3. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

There also exists a possibility that all the oxygen molecules in your room are found in the left corner. Again this may not happen before the universe dies. If you think this kind of stuff is weird, did you know that besides viewing yourself as a particle, you are also a wave and thus able to travel through walls?

They are probably using an asymptotic relation in the rune drops. Accounting for massive numbers of El and very few Zod.

4. redball77

redball77 IncGamers Member

The best rune I found was just the other day... a Gul. It is by far the best rune me or my friends have found. My friend plays about 5 times more than me (I play about 6-8 hours a week) and he has never found a Gul, I think the highest he has found is a few Um, Lem, Pul, those kind of things. Perhaps a Mal, if I remember right.

The fact of the matter is... Ist runes or higher are VERY hard to find. You need to be very lucky. Your best chance is to get a group of friends together and rush characters to NM and Hell all day to get Hellforge drops. If you are good, you can get quite a few drops over the course of a day in this manner, although it wouldn't be much fun.

5. Vizier

Vizier IncGamers Member

>The next paragraph says there ALSO exists a probability that the situation described above may (and very likely) never happen until the Universe ends. Darn.

Yes, but just think what would happen if you were leaning on a wall and and an inch of your body melted into the wall but just then, the atoms got out of sync again...

>What's the best/rarest rune you've found so far and how long does it take you?[/QUOTE]

After four solid years of playing (O my, I hate to think of the many thousands of hours wasted like that!) The best I've done is a vex, 3guls, 2 mal, 3 um, all found within the last year or so. Oh, maybe you're talking 1.10 only? In that case, pul from hellforge, fal from the Pit, and one each of Io and everything below - all in about 2-300 hours of playing so far.

6. SeanDamnit

SeanDamnit IncGamers Member

I started playing again about 2 months ago after a good year or so of off time. I found an Ist within my first dozen meph runs, and a shako and a skulders not too long afterwards.

Now I can't find ****. :(

7. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

We'll all walk through walls before we see a Zod drop. Yes, many have Zods, but that's because of the anomaly called "The duepehr effect".

is that in quantum physics too?

As far as the pits go, for me the pits live up to their name, pea.

8. Lylanthwol

Lylanthwol IncGamers Member

Best rune drop I've gotten is a Jah in 09, nothing nearly so high in 1.10 so far, just a bunch of Um runes.

It's the item drops that drive me crazy. Pit & Diablo runs yesterday yielded a blue corona, crappy yellow Balrog Skin, white CB, yellow shadow plate and last but not least a blue sacred. OUCH !

9. Mafia-CUD

Mafia-CUD IncGamers Member

I feel your pain Lylanthwol...

yesterday i got a Set Balrog ... bleh
    and a Blue Shako w/ double durability... bleh bleh

I've gotten Um's and Puls from WS Keep and Hellforge.... thats all in 1.10

10. Killfrenzy

Killfrenzy IncGamers Member

i found a vex back in 09 when it was worth squat

11. Megaman123

Megaman123 IncGamers Member

I made a mf pally and he basically had nothing but a wiz spike on. I then found chancies, 29% mf boots, goldwrap, a nagel, hoz, shako, lem and ko in the next ten runs and nothing since then.

12. aussy

aussy Banned

My friend found a vex when we wer ein a cow game, and I saw it drop too. This was in like mid/slight begging of 1.09 when iths were just coming out. Of course he had 2x6 isted ith cbs, full inventory of 7 smfcs, and other perfect mf gear, but whta can I say.

13. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

I found 2 gul's and a sur =D

14. psychotron

psychotron IncGamers Member

in .09 i managed 2 ists (one from cows and one from the countess :) ) 2 back to back um's from nm hellforge in hc (messed up killed my sorc so i had to re-rush her)
    and in 1.10 over the span of 2 days i got a pul from hell hellforge, a tals ammy( yes not a rune, but good anyway) and a vex from the pit on ladder

those times don't come often, but when they do boy it feels good

15. Beatboxer

Beatboxer Member

You know what all this tells me guys? Runes suck, (but I love em:) ) becasue you can't practically expect to count on finding the ones you need through playing an untwinked game.

To further compound it, blizzard has made it difficult to save good drops, and socketed this or that, (Muling nearly required) in order to trade for runes or effectively create proper runeworded items.

Eh, what can we do though...one group of progammers made the game and the patch job has probly been pasted down through several hands/minds since 99-00 when this game came out.

I still like Diablo2 but the lack of a common stash and rune scarcity create a small bit of a problem for a gamer who just wants to play straight through without much complications or fancy mulations.

But all this random drop stuff is exactly what makes Daiblo2 the addictive game that it is. There are lab tests to prove it.:)

OnT I really like finding shaels too, Necrochild. Lem and Pul highest drop from Helforge.

I am suspicious of any realm player using runewords and soj's. They are almost obviously dupes. I would of like this balanced a bit but Blizzard would rather us continue playing then make our game easier....So it goes right?

~Bb~

16. Mad Mantis

Because high level runes are hard to find, I like to concentrate on the lower level rune words when doing things untwinked. Most people ignore these, but they can be of great help.

17. Origin

Origin IncGamers Member

that sounds weird considering that what makes you not fall through walls are energy fields rather than little solid dots
    i think that thermodynamics book sounds fishy

18. GenXCub

GenXCub IncGamers Member

That also means there's a slim chance that you can really mess up your floor in the bathroom if the poo decides to not hit the bowl... damn thermodynamics and quantum theory :)

19. Mad Mantis

There are a lot of things that make you not fall through walls. But if the Atoms in the wall were all in the correct phase you could fall through it, one atom at a time. It wouldn't be like opening a door and walking through that.

20. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

I found a Lo in a cow game back in 1.09.

Of course then Los weren't worth a **** because they weren't in any runewords and they had just some use socketed :p.

I ended up just wasting the damn rune in a blackhorns for an "immune to lightning" type feel with blackhorns and tgods (and maxed lightning resists), I feel stupid for it now, but it helped in a dclone battle of mine. ;)