Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Let's talk about death......

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by TheNix, Jul 1, 2010.

1. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

Let's talk about death......

in a one handed weapon that is. The only elite one handed sword that can have 5os is the phase blade. Not bad, but the indestructible mod is wasted. That leaves axes: Ettin axe, War spike and Berserker axe. The EA was the best average damage but is the slowest. WS is faster but significantly less damage, with all that CB speed may be a better option. BA looks the better option with middling damage and speed, plus the greater range, but I'd have to go searching for a 5os eth one. I've got an eth EA, that a friendly barb will drill 5 holes in, and a 5os eth WS. What do people think about "death" in one-handed weapons? Any suggestions?

2. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

Re: Let's talk about death......

I had one in a 1.07 eth BA. Ridiculously powerful weapon. I would prefer the BA in almost all situations because it has maximum versatility.

I don't remember the speed on the EA, but my first question would be: does it hit the same WW BP as the BA (I found the Death BA to be the best pair with my Grief BA, despite the slower breakpoint). If it does, then I, personally, would be tempted to go with it. However, if you intend to do something like Zealing with it, you might thank yourself very much later on down the line.

3. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

At least initially it'll be on a Zealot, but I've also got an axe wielding Frenzier in mind for it too.

4. maareek

maareek IncGamers Member

Just doing a few quick numbers with a zealot: with level 23 fanaticism, you'd need 83 IAS to reach max Zeal speed with the Ettin Axe. The Berserker Axe would take 58. The EA whirls at the same speed as the BA. Frenzy ... honestly, I wouldn't touch Frenzy numbers with a twenty foot pole. A little too many variables for my non-math inclined brain. :/

Just to throw another number in there, though it's probably superfluous, Vengeance with the BA would take 152 IAS to reach 8 frames per attack. The Ettin Axe would take 215.

5. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

I agree that a BA would be the best choice. Waiting for one to drop may take a very long time, but it's superior to an Ettin Axe or War Spike by quite a ways. Even with Fanaticism, just that 10 WSM difference can mean a major increase in IAS required for a 4 frame Zeal. I'm not sure about the mechanics of Frenzy, so no comment from me on that count.

Unless you have a pressing need, I'd wait for the BA. If it comes down to the EA or WS though, run some calculations to determine which one works better for you in terms of IAS. It'll pack a punch no matter what you put it in (well, almost). :)

EDIT: ...or, he can run the calculations for you. :D

maareek: It hits the same BP, I believe, (EDIT: ...but apparently you already knew that.)

6. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

Do not make it in a Phase Blade. Do not.

+1 BA.

7. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

Thanks for the tips guys. I don't need it for a while yet so there's no hurry. My eth weapons seem to mainly be 1.12, so I'll have to find any of the three axes anyway. I could have sworn I had more 1.13 eth stuff stashed away.

8. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Hidden option D: Make it in a 1.07 eth Colossus Sword and make a 2 handed Zealot. Go on, you know you want to. :badteeth:

Shields are for wimps.

9. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

Na, I've got a yellow streak as long as a stampede of diuretic camels. :nod:

10. Pijus

Pijus IncGamers Member

What max said. I've got one of those, and it is beautiful:cloud9:

What's a yellow streak?

11. Frowzor

Frowzor IncGamers Member

Edit: And now the calculator is giving me completely different numbers, so if you read anything here, ignore it. Don't know what happened there.

@Pijus: It means he's too cowardly to give up his shield :wink:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  12. Pyrohemia

Pyrohemia IncGamers Member

I've heard this somewhere before, but it still made the thread. :thumbup:

+3 1.07 berserker axes. With a fortitude and some 1.07 damage charms you should be set for over 10k max damage and close to 100% deadly strike on your zeal. Grief shreds but death comes close.

13. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

I have this same conundrum myself. Currently have a 0 socket eth Ettin and no available BAs, had a look at the IAS needs and decided to wait for a BA. I'd be using the axe on a zealot and the IAS jump from a BA to an EA is too much for the gear that I have available for him.

Think I ended up of the opinion to just use a Grief in the end, seeing as I have one sat on my Wolfbarb barely getting used, and the IAS needed is negligible from what I can remember.

14. buckies

buckies IncGamers Member

1.07 eth Colossus Sword is sweet, and pairs well nicely with a Grief PB for your frenzy barb.

Problem is limited application. With no IAS Death is pretty much an offhand frenzy weapon for a Barb paired with a Grief Phase Blade, and it seems most still prefer dual grief over this. That said, with only a Vex + Gul requirement, it's much cheaper than a 'Lo' and can still dish out some justice.

Perhaps someone else can offer melee builds that aren't compromised by it's lack of IAS?

15. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

It's from Red Dwarf.

The 1.07 BA looks good, but I don't feel comfortable bringing earlier game items forward. Besides, what's the point of doing a restart if you're going to troll through your old stashes when you want a specific item. Grief would be good as well, but my stash is a little light on for Lo's.

16. Pyrohemia

Pyrohemia IncGamers Member

I remember now. Red dwarf is amazing with its irreverence. I recently finished watching the entire series for the third time.