Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Let's Talk About Armor

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Serdash, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

Let's Talk About Armor

The second installment!

The thread for gloves can be found here.

So let's talk about your favorite armors!

Personally, out of all of the uniques available, I'd still have to go with, Skullders Ire. This armor is awesome. High defense, huge MF boosts, not too hard to get ahold of, and if you do find one, and it's ethereal, do not despair! It has auto-repair! </cheesey rhyme>

A good second is the loveable Shaftstop. Socketed with a Perfect Ruby of course(Sure an Io would make more sense if it was for a barbarian only, but think about it, other classes hardly get more out of ten vitality than a barb. Perfect ruby = instant 36 life.) It has great defense, life bonuses, and damage reduction. All around an awesome armor, though with the heavy need for a shield in 1.10, and the new runewords popping up, as well as the lower cap on damage reduction, it's become a little less useful in my eyes. Great for a Merc though! :thumbsup:

Low Level/Honorable Mentions: Rockfleece, Duriels Shell, Sking of the Vipermaji, and Twitchthroe.

Now to sets! (I have a lot more to say about armor than I do gloves.)

Set armor is a bit more of a tough choice for me. Usually my endgame gear will consist of a Skullders Ire or Shaftstop. If I MUST use any set armor, it would probably have to be a Griswolds Heart. This thing has huge defense, low strength requirements, a bonus to strength, and three sockets! Can we say awesome? I think we can! Usually what I'll socket in them are Ral/Thul/Ort runes for the specified resist. Otherwise I'll don't put much in it. I once put in some 15 IAS jewels. It helped out quite a bit, until I found a better four socket armor that I could get 60 IAS out of instead of 45. :)

Second good choice would have to be Hwanin's Refuge. It gives a nice boost of 100 to life, and if you're a melee character and you're in the heat of battle a lot, that 10% chance to cast Static Field comes in handy. Put it on a pally and combine it with Schaefers... :fish:

Low Level/Honorable Mentions: Angelic Mantle, Sigon's Shelter, Naj's Light Plate, and Tal Rasha's Armor. (Note that Tal's wasn't really included in my preferences because of its rarity. I have one that I traded for and have never found one in my D2 career. I know they're not impossible to find, I just think it's too rare to be a favorite of mine. That doesn't change the fact that I use it, though. :uhhuh: )

So let's go! The second installment! Tell me what your favorite set/unique armors are!

Next Time: Shields

2. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

For armors it depends completely on what kind of character it is, these ones come to mind instantly: Skulder's Ire, Shaftstop, Skin of the Vipermagi, and from green I'd say Naj's armor or Tal's armor, since those ones are good for all kind of chars :)

3. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

Hands down, Duriel's Shell wins my nomination. It is nearly everything I could EVER want in a PvM armor. I compare it to a Lionheart runeword, except it has CBF, and when socketed with an Um or res all jewel it has more res. Twitchthroe and Sigon's Shelter Also get honorable mentions

crg

4. DreamlessDude

DreamlessDude IncGamers Member

The gold one gotta be gladiator's bane My favourite armor for melee dudes.

The set armor. hmmm then its mavina armor. cool white color gotta be cool

5. Bolinbrooke

Bolinbrooke IncGamers Member

Que-Hagans is my fav for Casters, but Viper-Magi is also good, I just like Que-hagans for the greater defence and it makes my Char look diff to the standard graphic. Now I have 2 x Ormus (thanks to Fishy for 1) my Nova Sorc and F/Ball sorc have moved on from the above mentioned. My Bone necro still uses Que-Hagans and my melee sorc uses Viper atm but will upgrade when I can find something better.

I always liked Toothrow, because it was one of the first uniques my first Zealot found in 1.07 and I thought the Open Wounds mod was so cool at the time.

Chains of Honour is now the best in the game- but it's a rune word so I dont think it counts (right Serdash?) and Enigma is great, but both of these are very expensive and you cant have everything.

I think both tyreals and templars are crap and do not use my Templars and would not use Tyreals if i found it (yeah like i would).

Other honourables include as Sharftstop for mercs and Valor if you can get one.

As for sets, I dont realkly use them at all. Tal Rasha's would be nice but i dont have one and Trang's is OK.

One of the great things about 1.10 is upgrading armour with great mods, how about an upgraded Silks of the Victor, now that would be a great armour for my Melee Sorc.

6. Ti-Ben

Ti-Ben IncGamers Member

Hmmm armor, now that's tough one.

Hmmm let me see. Best armors for me would have to be Shaftstop for any chars really. I then would say Skin of the Vipermagi for casters. I've always been fond of the famous Twitchthroe, I love the bonus on this thing. My cattle.net amazon had this thing even at lvl 85-ish, people kept laughing at me for not having a 4x 40/15 j00l armor. :rolleyes: . No elite armor takes my vote. Oh and I forgot about Skullder's Ire, I love MFing! *yeah right... lol* Well I think I should find a set one that I like. Hmmm well let's see then. I'd say my favorite set armor is Griswold's Heart because of the versability of it or Immortal King Soul Cage because I've got one. :D Tal Rasha's Guardianship is great and all but the purple kills it. A shame really.

7. buster

buster IncGamers Member

My characters are always geared toward MFing, even while playing the game, so my choices would be Skuller's Ire and Tal's Guardianship. Honorable mention goes to Duriel's Shell, especially for mercs who have trouble surviving.

8. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Isenhart's Case.

*ducks*

9. Serdash

Serdash IncGamers Member

Yeah. That ducks armor is awesome Durf, but why would you choose Isenhart's Case?

Don't worry everyone. After we get through all of the equipment, I'll make a "Runewords" thread just for you gung-ho runeword people.

10. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

my favorite armor is a the chains of honor, but due to the fact that's a runeword its a no-go here :teeth:

for unique i would say twitch for low lvl and shaftshop for high lvl (due to the huge PDR life and def)

for sets i would say tal rasha's guardianship, just for its low rq. resits mf boost and defense boost, i just love that armor :thumbsup:

great threads serdash keep it up :lol:

robin

11. Seryant

Seryant IncGamers Member

I Like a good Iceblink , because Hit Freezes Target is one of my favorite mods. Getting Mephy down to about half a frame an hour with the armour on a merc, decrep, a cold Skele-mage and a clay golem is a very funny thing to see.
    I have very few Set Armours, but most of my chars have a brief spell wearing my Artic Furs until they can wear Twitchthroe .

12. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

almost forgot, what about (eth) duriels shell, that is one of the best merc // mid lvl armors around in my opinion

robin

13. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

Shaftstop. Nothing else comes even close to that one. :) Oh, and as for the Io Rune being better than the PRuby: No, it's not. The Ruby works with BO, Io Rune doesn't. :)

14. Crudesash68

Crudesash68 IncGamers Member

I was always jealous of Shaftstop owners, till I found one. I would put it right at the top, since I can't use my Pat barb in 1.10 without it. I would love a Skullders, but have never found one (Uniquesash found one, with his first char, in NM!!!). I like Silks for the way it looks, Corpsemourn for the way it works, and Haemosu's Adamant because I find so many.

Steve

15. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

I'm kinda surprised noone mentioned Guardian Angel yet...especially great on characters with easy resists (assassin, paladin). 90% all resists is just awesome, you take virtually no damage from elemental attacks. For set items...definitely the breast plate. How can you not love something that drops at every corner and is freely available to each and every character you create?

16. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

I didn't mention Guardian Angel simply because it's not needed for anything. The only resist you really need to be good is lightning, and for that there's alot better options since armors can give you alot of other good bonuses. I prefer Chains of honor or Enigma for paladins, and the lightning comes from Wisp Projector and/or Thundergod's Vigor along with Highlord's Wrath and other equipment. With those you don't really need 90% resist all for anything :)

17. Jezzwashere

Jezzwashere Banned

Umm,

I go for Duriel Shell, being the ONLY merc armour worth having.

When upgraded to a Great Harberk, and if etherial, i think it would do about 1300 defence. I have etherial, but not the runes to upgrade.

Jeza

18. red_draak

red_draak IncGamers Member

i upgraded my Duriel Shell too and it is really really nice... mine is also ethereal :lol:

19. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

I'd have to disagree on the "ONLY merc armour worth having"...my defiance merc uses Guardian Angel with Kira's Guardian. 90% resist all allows him to take pretty much any elemental beating and his ac keeps him standing against melee attackers. Well, I guess the Reaper's Toll kinda helps too ;)

20. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

Don't upgrade ethereal armors, atleast not before the next patch. There's a bug that causes it to lose all ethereal bonuses on upgrading...

edit: and there are two other real good options for mercs, ethereal shaftstop being one and Skulder's Ire being the other (especially for MF:ing purposes)