Let's grade Blizzard PR...

yovargas

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Let's grade Blizzard PR...

^^ That's not because of the PR, it's because of their long string of superhits. The Blizzard's PR is that they hardly need it. At this point, all a game needs to be a massive seller is to have the Blizzard logo on it.

Flux

Administrator

It has everything to do with it in the only way that matters. Keep rubbing those brain cells together, it'll come to you.
Basically what I said back in #25 or so. Most of the people in this thread think the Bliz D3 PR sucks since the Bliz D3 PR isn't designed to please the kind of people reading this thread.

If you care/know enough to join a fansite forum in advance of the game, you're pretty much already a pre-order. So they don't need to try to inform you or win you over. So they're not, Bashiok's occasional antics aside.

yovargas

Diabloii.Net Member

I disagree. I agree that marketing doesn't care if a relatively small group of a hardcore fans want to know all the details about things like drop rates or health potions. But even for the fairly casual people Blizz simply has done very little to generate interest or excitement outside of the yearly Blizzcon fest. Doing things like an occasional video highlighting a cool new skill or showcasing a new arena match up that we haven't seen would get the casual fans excited and I can't understand for the life of me why they wouldn't do such simple little buzz generators.

I disagree. I agree that marketing doesn't care if a relatively small group of a hardcore fans want to know all the details about things like drop rates or health potions. But even for the fairly casual people Blizz simply has done very little to generate interest or excitement outside of the yearly Blizzcon fest. Doing things like an occasional video highlighting a cool new skill or showcasing a new arena match up that we haven't seen would get the casual fans excited and I can't understand for the life of me why they wouldn't do such simple little buzz generators.
Casual people, by definition, don't need the kinda of PR you're expecting. They need exactly what Blizzard did with SC2, which is tv advertisements in the weeks leading up to release.

You want to apply your own standards to what constitutes good PR on Blizzard's behalf. Your standards are not their concern; you're a day-1 purchase regardless. So it makes no sense to try to apply your standards of what constitutes good PR towards a group that has no need or requirement for it, let alone the fact that they wouldn't be receptive to the same type of PR to begin with.

Zeek

Diabloii.Net Member

Basically what I said back in #25 or so. Most of the people in this thread think the Bliz D3 PR sucks since the Bliz D3 PR isn't designed to please the kind of people reading this thread.

If you care/know enough to join a fansite forum in advance of the game, you're pretty much already a pre-order. So they don't need to try to inform you or win you over. So they're not, Bashiok's occasional antics aside.
That's true. Who says we aren't taking that into account when we grade them?

Blizzard PR is there to make Blizzard money. They make Blizzard money by increasing sales of their games. Do you think anything they've done has increased sales for D3? I think if they've increased sales at all at this point it is by a very slim margin. Therefore I give them a grade of D.

They may improve before release, but we can't very well grade on future possibilities.

yovargas

Diabloii.Net Member

Casual people, by definition, don't need the kinda of PR you're expecting. They need exactly what Blizzard did with SC2, which is tv advertisements in the weeks leading up to release.

You want to apply your own standards to what constitutes good PR on Blizzard's behalf. Your standards are not their concern; you're a day-1 purchase regardless. So it makes no sense to try to apply your standards of what constitutes good PR towards a group that has no need or requirement for it, let alone the fact that they wouldn't be receptive to the same type of PR to begin with.
That is simply not true and quickly skimming a general video game website or magazine will show it to not be the case. Those things are filled with previews for upcoming video games because that's what gets people interested in your games. Video gamers in general aren't "impulse" buyers like some other markets, they buy games because of word of mouth, because they see and hear things about the game that appeal to them, because a game is getting good buzz. Ads simply don't do that, previews, videos, and info do that. Good video game marketing is getting people more excited about your ARPG than your competitors.

That is simply not true and quickly skimming a general video game website or magazine will show it to not be the case. Those things are filled with previews for upcoming video games because that's what gets people interested in your games. Video gamers in general aren't "impulse" buyers like some other markets, they buy games because of word of mouth, because they see and hear things about the game that appeal to them, because a game is getting good buzz. Ads simply don't do that, previews, videos, and info do that. Good video game marketing is getting people more excited about your ARPG than your competitors.
Your entire statement flies in the face of reality. Because Blizzard is not doing anything different than they've done with any other games, most notably with the recent release of Starcraft 2. And that sold well. They didn't splurge for extensive marketing on gaming journalism sites. There weren't tons of detailed game reviews for Starcraft 2 until immediately prior/after release.

Regardless, it's primarily other lesser known/unproven studios who benefit from early reviews and hype from gaming journalism and fansites; new IP's or genres with unproven concepts that gamers are generally wary of. We're not talking about other people's games though; we're talking about Blizzard's.

And again, your entire post is still filled with 'this is what *I* expect in the form of good PR', which simply doesn't matter in this case. Because your standards simply do not apply in any useful sense as far as what Blizzard is most concerned with accomplishing; sales. Until you can wrap your head around that concept, there's no need for you to keep reiterating the same faulty analogy.

yovargas

Diabloii.Net Member

And again, your entire post is still filled with 'this is what *I* expect in the form of good PR', which simply doesn't matter in this case.
How is anybody's suppose to judge anything as good or bad except by what they expect good or bad things to look like? Here's an example of what I expect from good marketing:

I was a bit of a fan of the Mortal Kombat games way back in the day. I hadn't been into them since the game went 3D. You could call me a casual fan. Well, those guys were regularly releasing videos of stuff from their new MK title for a LONG time prior to release. They'd release a little video highlighting this character's fatality or that character's story or whatever. Just regular little bits of "here's something cool from our game!". I would see them occasionally logging into a general gaming website like IGN or gamespot. And those little bits of fan service videos looked pretty darn cool to me and got me a really excited to play the game. It turned someone who had casually played 10+ years ago into someone who actively wants to check out their title now. I'll tell you what would not have done that - one big yearly info dump and some ads leading up to release.