Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Lets discuss which class uses which stat the most in d3 if

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by lone_wolf, Sep 17, 2010.

1. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

Lets discuss which class uses which stat the most in d3

I for one think we need something new to discuss so lets take the autostat knowledge we have at the moment and debate around it.

This is the information we have in the diablo 3 wiki as of now:

Strength

Strength governs how much damage you do and how high your armor rating is. Whether the effect of each point in Strength on the secondary attributes is the same for every character class is unclear as of yet.
    1 point of Strength gives:

Dexterity

Dexterity governs your chance to critically strike a target, and so doing more damage. Dexterity influences your chance to dodge an attack and lowers the chance that your character will be interrupted by getting hit.
    1 point of Dexterity gives:

• +x% Critical Strike Chance
    • +x% Dodge Chance
    • Higher Dexterity lowers chance you will be interrupted by getting hit.
    Vitality

Vitality governs the amount of life your character has and how fast its mana regenerates.
    1 point of Vitality gives:

• +x Life
    • Mana Regeneration of +x per second
    Willpower

Willpower governs the amount of spell damage bonus and extra health the consumption that a health globe will grant your character.
    1 point of Willpower gives:

To me this shows that the barbarians will have a focus on mainly strength(all of the modifiers fit) then vitality(+x life) and last dexterity(lowered chance to be interrupted).

As for the monks i think it will be mainly a focus on dexterity(criticals seems to work for them better as well as the dodge chance and less interruptions) second strengh and last vitality.

the wizards and witch doctors i think will have a focus on willpower of course and then vitality and last dexterity.

the 5 class will be dexterity then strength ans last vitality in my opinion.

What is your opinion??

2. Moonfrost

Moonfrost Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Lets discuss which class uses which stat the most in d3

If we split the stats up based on what purpose they serve then this is the result:

Strength - physical offense (flat), survivability (mitigation)
    Dexterity - physical offense (chance), survivability (avoidance)
    Vitality - survivability (buffer)
    Willpower - magical offense (flat), survivability (buffer regen)​

To expand on the above:

Survivability (mitigation) - reduces damage from each (physical) hit
    Survivability (avoidance) - an avoided attack deals no damage at all
    Survivability (buffer) - what you're left with after mitigation and avoidance are taken into account
    Survivability (buffer regen) - regenerates the above buffer.​

In short, all stats offer some kind of survivability boost. This has two effects:

1. Characters mainly interested in boosting offense will get some defense for free (this reduces the difference between glass cannon and tank builds)
    2. Characters mainly interested in boosting defense can focus on different kinds of defense, while getting some offense for free (same effect as above)

Depending on which class you play, I think there's definitely more room for customization than in D2, despite the auto stats. We can assume vitality will be the main defensive stat for all characters, but focusing solely on that is unwise for physical damage classes when you can have trade some of that defense for much needed offense by investing a bit in strength or dexterity instead.

The interesting part is how a player's skills will influence their preference in stats. Personally, I love crits and dodging so my barbette will focus on strength and dexterity in about equal amounts, with vitality as a third priority. Those will nicely complement any crit/dodge based skills I may pick up, with vitality acting as an added buffer in case things go wrong. The same mentality can probably be applied to other classes too.

By the way, I didn't bring up the mana regen effects of vitality because I doubt vitality will keep that effect. In a game with five different resource systems, it wouldn't make sense to only have one of those be affected by a character's basic attributes. As I see it, either vitality will affect other resource systems too, or none of them.

3. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Diabloii.Net Member

always thought dex was used to determine ranged physical damage?

4. lone_wolf

That depends moonfrost you might not be able to decide what your character will focus on. We know to little so far but blizzard could easily decide that all barbs should have and stat spread of 50% strength 40% vitality 5% dexterity and 5% willpower. That way you would have to adapt your gear to offer more added dexterity then strength to achieve your 50/50 focus on strength and dexterity.

They have their own view of what the barbarian is about and they could easily see it as the cliche big strong dumb brute that can take a beating.

Hopefully i am wrong.

As for regen well they could easily add so that one of each stat boosts regen for one class for example:

Stength: boosts regen for the barbarians

Dexterity: boosts regen for the monks and the fifth class

Vitality: no class

Willpower: boosts regen for wizards and witch doctors

@apoc me to but the info we have at the moment say otherwise

5. Nekora

Nekora Diabloii.Net Member

I have the feeling that willpower will still probably affect the resources for all classes. They all seem like mental/spiritual states to me. Having high willpower would affect your storing of 'mana', your 'arcane power', as well as your generation of 'spirit (AKA chi)', and even 'fury'.

6. lone_wolf

Willpower dont affect it now.

Its vitality that does it in the information we have now.
    But i agree with you willpower seems like a better fit for the resource regen thematically speaking.

7. Moonfrost

Moonfrost Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah, I meant focus through gear, gems and whatever else we'll get in terms of customization. We know emeralds give +dex so it's safe to assume other gems will give other stats, kind of like how you "gem for stats" in WoW. Seeing as gems will be removable - to my knowledge unknown whether it'll be for free or not - we won't have a reason not to use them to customize our characters.

Question is, will it be necessary to add resource regen when that's already affected by skills and such? To me, it seems like an unnecessary amount of complexity. The challenge in managing a resource should preferably lie in quickly deciding how and when to spend in, not whether or not you've improved it passively to the point of irrelevance.

8. The Rockman

The Rockman Diabloii.Net Member

I wonder what class that based on (and what build version).
    Personally I find it weird that Dex only gives +% crit and no damage bonuses at all (would of thought it would boost range at lest, as where you hit your target with a projectile is more important then how hard it hits).

Well for casters its Vit and Willpower that look to be the most important (Will for spell damage <- the major one I guess and Vit to keep spell coming), the other 2 being the minor stats (of cause it depends on how big those % dodge and armour bonus are).
    For non casters STR and Dex and Vit are the important stats with the main one being STR, dex and Vit being secondary and Willpower coming last (unless every skill does loads of spell damage and next to no physical then willpower all the way)

9. Flux

Flux Administrator

it's funny, that this aspect of the game has been largely overlooked, since the autostats info came out. it's like, "if we're not placing the stats, when we don't care what they do."

Of course we'll be selecting equipment at least partially by the +stats bonuses on it, and gem socketing will apparently add huge +stat bonuses, and then if the talisman does something similar... stats will really matter a lot.

It's quite possible we'll all be arguing the default, autostat values, once we know them. Our community opinion on what a naked lvl 60 monk stats should be may vary quite a bit from what they actually are; that wasn't something anyone debated in D1 or D2, but it could be a huge issue of contention in D3, as we work to use our equipment to enhance or overcome the inherent qualities blizzard's autostats give to the characters.

10. konfeta

konfeta Diabloii.Net Member

After thinking about it, I think I see what they are doing to do with the stat system and its distribution in usefulness among the classes.

Willpower is for spell damage and survival, Strength is for physical damage and survival, Dexterity is a chance based damage output and chance based survival, Vitality is there in a seemingly multiplier aspect equally useful for everyone.

It simultaneously fulfills the function of resource management and life pool, which I suspect means they increase the basics which are modified by multipliers from the other 3 stats and equipment. A basic relationship between static boosting of base resource pools by Vitality and transforming boosts from other stats. Could be interesting. Though would have to think a lot about the implications of that.

But, for quick review, look at the overall distribution this way (simplifying assumption, the 5th class is an archer/spellcaster hybrid so benefits from both Strength and Willpower in terms of damage enhancement).

- Strength is a consistent increase in survivability for all 5 classes and is a consistent increase in offense for 3 of the classes.

- Willpower is a consistent increase in survivability for all 5 classes and is a consistent increase in offense for 3 of the classses.

- Dexterity is a chance based increase in survivability and offense for all 5 classes.

- Vitality is a base resource, both for life and abilities, variable for all 5 classes. Finding a balance between Vitality and other statistics will be an important component to mathematical optimization to find the highest total effective survivability level (base life as modified by defenses and most efficient offense (base resource restoration/accumulation to modify the skills).

While there is an element of symmetry to attribute usefulness between 5 classes, each attribute works its magic in a subtly different way that influences your personal style and taste - do you want to stack your attributes for most consistent and reliable boosts ala Willpower and Strength? Do you want to stack your attributes fora more chance/statistical based boosting ala Dexterity? Or do you want your attributes to focus on the skill enhancing component of Vitality's modification of the resource system management? The ever present defensive vs. offensive attribute array? Etc.

Pure speculation, but fun to think about.