Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Lethal_Doze, a Trang-Oul Necromancer Patriarch

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by LozHinge the Unhinged, May 19, 2008.

1. LozHinge the Unhinged

LozHinge the Unhinged IncGamers Member

Lethal_Doze, a Trang-Oul Necromancer Patriarch

Say Hi to Patriarch Lethal_Doze, a fully-twinked, single-pass, SP/SC Trang-Oul Poisonmancer. The desire to play and pat a full Trang Necro has long been a goal and when I finally found the set Bone Visage a few months ago, the stage was set.

Game play through Normal and Nightmare was a breeze, save for early mana problems, but once the full set was in place at Level 65, only Hell difficulty presented any real challenge. Players 8 for the first two difficulties, Players 5 up to half-way through Act 5 Hell and then P3 from the Frozen Tundra onwards. One death only, an unfortunate case of stun-locking by Defiled Warriors in the last of the Hell Pits (in the Frozen Tundra). If you're not in the mood for D2, don't play!

I went the max-block route and his stats look like this:

Stats (Base/Best Switch)
    Level 87
    Str: **/121
    Dex: 153/238
    Vit: 224/224
    Eng: 25/ 25
    Unspent: 35

Stamina: 374/444
    Life: 652/776
    Mana: 197/563
    Bone Armour: 165

Damage
    Poison Dagger: 23-24K
    Poison Nova: 5719-5939
    Poison Exp: 42-46K

AR (PD): 12206
    Defence: 1910

FR: 80%
    CR/LR/PR: 75%

Items used were the best I was able to twink from my rather pathetic stashes and which were not in use by other current characters. The lack of a Death's Web was really not a problem for me - I like Poison Dagger and Blackbog's Sharp is a nice tool (especially a faceted one). In fact, +3/-4 Poison Facet was donated recently by my Fishymancer MF'r, so from Frozen Tundra onwards, 'Doze had a little more bang to his buck. To be honest, it was finding this Facet that turned my attention back to the poisonmancer, after a longish period of having been parked as a result of his death in that Act 5 Hell Pit.

Gear
    PnB Skiller, plus 1-21 Lightning damage
    PnB Skiller, plain
    GC, 12% Res-all, +6 to strength
    GC, 20% Fire Res, +5 to dexterity
    LC, 12% FR, +5 to dexterity
    LC, 10% CR, +5 to dexterity
    SC, 8% LR, +2 to dexterity
    SC, 7% FR, +2 to strength
    SC, 7% FR, +2 to dexterity
    SC, 11% LR, 3-5 Cold Damage
    SC 9% LR, +11 to life
    SC, 4% Res-all, +2 to dexterity
    SC, 4% Res-all, plain
    Amulet, +3 PnB Skills, +1 max damage
    Ring, Ravenfrost, +200 AR
    Ring, Ravenfrost, +162 AR
    (Angelic Set Amulet and Rings in early game - woohoo for 30000+ AR with Combat Shrine!)
    Boots, Waterwalks (+197% ED)

Main Switch -
    Blackbog's Sharp, socketed +3/-4 Poison Facet
    Trang-Oul's Wing

"Cursing" Switch -
    Gravenspine Bone Wand
    Blue Unraveller Head (+2 Necro Skills, +3 Decrepify, +1 Summon Resist, +1 Attract)

Skills are as follows (Hard Points / Best Switch Values)

Summoning Skills
    Summon Resist 0/7 (item)
    The rest 0/0

PnB Skills
    Teeth 1/11
    Bone Armour 1/11
    Poison Dagger 20/35
    Corpse Explosion 1/11
    Bone Wall 3/13
    Poison Explosion 20/34
    Poison Nova 20/34
    BSpear/BSpirit/BPrison 0/0

Curses
    Dim Vision 14/20
    Lower Resist 12/18
    Confuse 0/0
    Attract 0/7
    Decrepify 1/10
    The rest 1/7

Mercenaries used were Act 1 coldy, Act 2 Defiance and from Act 3 Normal, Phaet, a Cold Wolf. I cannot believe how good that 'Wolf really is, for crowd control and corpse disposal. Merc Equipment was:
    Harlequin Crest
    Spirit Ethereal Dimensional Blade
    Skin of the Vipermagi (25% Res)
    Ethereal Lidless Wall (I wanted dual Spirits! Merc not strong enough though ...)

Tactics were fairly obvious: Poison Dagger to start with, Spam Poison Nova when it became available, PD again for Bosses and other tricky customers, Poison Explosion for choke points and Fire Wall/Meteor for poison immunes. I employed a small Bone Armour for a little extra life vs melee/missiles (plus some small protection against hit recovery issues). Corpse Explosion was rarely used (if ever - can't remember using it). Curses most often in use were LR (of course) and DV for when things got funky. To be honest though, I rarely used DV (despite being a big fan). Bone Wall was the big surprise for me - it's possibly the reason I was able to defeat Ventar and Lister's waves in Hell. The big lugs foolishly pinned themselves up against my Walls where they were coldified by the merc, and either Fire-Walled/Meteored or Poison Nova'd to death, depending on their immunity. Lister's crew in particular went down with little effort on my part.

As for the big bosses, these were killed mostly without the benefit of a merc (who unsportingly died during the encounters), except for Hell Baal.

Hell Baal was a funny battle - initially I was being caned by clones and Festering Appendages, but once I engaged the big guy in melee, and with the merc getting into his groove, I simply Poison Daggered him to death. I stayed toe-to-toe with Baal rather than hit'n'running him, as things were more manageable that way - Baal was happy to sit there taking what I was dishing out as long as I was in his face. LR was re-cast as and when required. Now, with me spamming PD, my mana did run out, but here's the thing ... I regenerated mana quickly enough to be able to re-cast PD before the current duration ran out and the only time I needed to pot was when LR needed refreshing. Nice.

It's been said before but when playing a Trang necro, with your walk speed virtually the same as your run speed, you need to switch to running if you want your merc to keep up with you. If you walk everywhere, you lose the merc until you TP. Just a reminder, folks.

Future plans for the 'Doze include sitting on my hard drive and maybe, just maybe, becoming a Pit runner. He is my third Pat ... my first was a Necro Summoner (my first ever character, with the Skill/Stat placement issues to prove it) my second was a full-blown Fishymancer. I'm well pleased to have beaten the game with this guy. Current projects (all S/C) are an un-twinked SP Bonemancer just starting in Hell, an un-twinked SP Golemancer in Act 4 Hell and a multi-player Strafeazon - yes, a non-necro! - in Act 3 Hell.

A fun character to play - even more so at Players 1, I'd say!

2. Justa

Justa IncGamers Member

Re: Lethal_Doze, a Trang-Oul Necromancer Patriarch

hellforge drop? ^^ (not sure why i need to ask)

3. smilts

smilts IncGamers Member

Nice job, its one of my favorite characters and full trangs is a fun way to go with it

4. LD50

LD50 IncGamers Member

Grats on the pat! And a cool name too :wink3:

Any trouble with the ancients?

5. Cygnus

Cygnus IncGamers Member

doze = zzzzzz, dose = quantity of intake. TO necros rock :thumbsup:

Strange, I didn't have that problem. I walked all the way and my army of mages, Gumby and the moron could keep up.

@TheNix: p5 most of the way through Hell

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  6. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

Nice build, I'm thinking of putting my Mojomancer in Trang's set. Just one question, how the hell did you get to lvl 87 single pass?

7. LozHinge the Unhinged

@Justa - hell HF was ... brace yourself ... an Um. Yes, my first non-Hel HF drop :azn:

@smilts - Thanks. Occasionally I wished I was playing a straight Poisonmancer without the full T-O but in the end it worked out well.

@LD50 - Thanks. Hell Ancients was simply a case of running around and around and around and around ... you get the idea. I'd cast BA, run, LR, run, PN, run, BA again, run, PN, run ... etc etc. The whirly-bird Ancient (forget his name) was the most bothersome one but once he dropped, that was that. When I say run, I mean of course the T-O fast walk. The merc naturally died ten seconds into the fight.

@Cygnus - :cool: Yes P5 until half-way through the Frozen Tundra. I was lucky with Experience Shrines too and tried my damnedest to avoid being cursed after using them, with quite a bit of success.

@TheNix - cheers for that. The T-O set provides for a lot of survivability if you go max-block - a mojomancer needs every bit of help he can get.

Edit: Numpty me, I just checked my notes - I went Players 8 for Act 1 Hell and reduced to P5 in Act 2

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  8. Atil

Atil IncGamers Member

Congratulations on the Set build. My Fishymancer is Trang-Oul based/max block and surprisingly durable. Have fun with yours in The Pit.

I did/do have the mercenary problem when set to walk speed with the full set. I now never walk, as he is rarely in danger and just stand still if he is going to get hit.

9. Swiller

Swiller IncGamers Member

Great job on the patriarch, LozHinge! I've been planning on doing the same build for several months. Hopefully I'll get around to it soon.

Just one question, though: Did you miss having minions? How much do you think they would have contributed? I was planning on using a maxed gumby...but that won't leave many points to put in Lower Resist.

Again, congratulations! :thumbsup:

10. LozHinge the Unhinged

@Atil - thanks! If I find more poison facets, I'll be certain to dust off "The 'Doze" again for more adventures.

@Swiller - thank you. You'll have fun with yours, I'm sure. As for the lack of minions, I missed them but I was determined to run a non-hybrid. As a compromise, I could have reduced my DV investment and substituted a fairly healthy Clay Golem. This would be a very durable, safe build in my opinion. However, maxing CG wouldn't be possible without reducing your main damage source, and in any event is unnecessary, IMHO. Ten hard points, at the very most and split between CG and GM, would be sufficient.

One of the weirdest things about having no minions was not having the illumination that they provide (I usually play skellimancers). Exploring the darker areas of the game, whilst playing in a brightly-lit room, was a somewhat claustrophobic experience! :laugh: