Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

less mf = better?...

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by muteownz, Feb 4, 2004.

1. muteownz

muteownz IncGamers Member

less mf = better?...

i've been doing many mf meph runs and not really getting anything great. trying to get some good stuff so my pally can get some good gear. i'm like ehh forget it. i traded off my wartravlers and i cant wear my rhyme shield cus lack of strength so i'm minus about 70 mf. so i do some runs and i'm getting much better dropps. 2 uniques come up mostly and my last run i found azurawrath phaseblade.. that has to be the best find i've ever had. 1.10 must have some mf problems. cus man i'm finding much better stuff with less mf. theres this kid that brags about his 600 mf and i say to him all the time hey u find anything yet hes like no. so u can make what you want. or maybe its just dumb luck on my part.

-JOe

edit: guess i should mention my mf. with all my stuff i had about 404 mf. now i have about 335. :) so before you spend good stuff on them highly expencive wartravlers. think again.

2. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

No. Read the Magic Find FAQ. Less MF is never better because the game first rolls for a unique, then set, then rare, then magical, then normal. You will find more uniques over time with more magic find.

Edit: The rule of thumb with magic find is: Wear as much as you can without sacrificing your killing speed.

Only think again if you have no idea what you're thinking about.

3. OfBeasting

OfBeasting IncGamers Member

it always seemed that i had better luck with less.

4. Usufruct

Perhaps because you were killing faster and therefore doing more runs. Find a good balance.

5. Voldemort

Voldemort IncGamers Member

Always the same old question about MF. It's all based on luck. I wish people would get that through their heads!!!

6. Gorny

Gorny Banned

True luck is involved, but as Usufruct said the game first rolls for a unique, then set and so forth. So more Mf is always better, however more mf and less or no killing ability will get you nowhere fast.

7. Voldemort

I totally agree but people keep asking the same questions

8. Gorny

Gorny Banned

True, I am going deaf from some of them!

9. Usufruct

Luck does play a huge part though, like you said. On any given day, you could run meph 10 times with 0% MF and find 2 stormshields, a Stormlash, Maras Kaleidoscope, and a Eaglehorn.

You could run meph 100 times with 500% MF, and find not a damn thing :)

10. Gorny

Gorny Banned

I have had exactly that happen to me ...

That's where people get theories about time of day and night, weather outside, game # 3351, dogs and cats living togther, mice with matches, pots of gold, flying pink elephants, mirrors that let you see whatever you desire, certain foods or drinks to consume while doing MF runs, using the force, amulets that seem to work only when the sun or moon is in eclipse, and the list of theories and superstions goes on and on and on and on .......

11. Usufruct

ROFL :lol:

A good laugh for sure :)

12. Voldemort

Exactly I was running Meph in 1.09 just for fun and he dropped an Arkaines Valor I was ok time to quit while I am ahead

13. Malachi

Malachi Banned

Les MF is better, its that simple. You will have more killing power, better resists, better defense and so on with less mf. 200 seems plenty now with the new diminishing return rules on mf in 1.10. Anything more then 200 can be classified as... softcore I guess.

14. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos IncGamers Member

Its all a matter of statistics.

Lets take the matter of people having nightmares about someones death and then the person dying at that day....often called a paranormal experience.

Yet, lets look at the numbers (this is just some rough numbers to get the idea).

A person has these dreams maybe once per year on average, that means the amount of people dreaming at a specific date is 6 billion divided by 365 = 16.438.356

Then lets say you have on average 5 people in your close circle, living average of 75 years...the "chance" of one of them dying on a specific day is (75x365)/5 = 5475 to 1. (or if a specific person it will be 27375)

Then we combine the two numbers, which will be 16.438.356 divided by 5475 = 3002 or 600 if a specifc person

This means that every year 3000 people will statistically dream of a loved one dieing on THE EXACT SAME DAY they die...and 600 people will dream of a SPECIFIC loved one dying on the exact same day as the loved one die.

Therefor its not paranormal or anything even remotely of that nature, its simple statistics.

15. Usufruct

It's not that simple, simply. It's ridiculous to say so. If you can wear more mf WITHOUT sacrificing your killing speed/power, more MF is clearly better.

Even though Hardcore is different, the same rules apply. Use the most magic find possible without risking your life.

16. Gorny

Gorny Banned

The diminishing returns are not new. They existed in 1.09 as well.

17. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos IncGamers Member

Make a simple equation...look at increased find from magic finds vs. killing speed.

If MF allows you to find 2 times as many uniques on average, its ok to sacrifice 1/3rd of your killing power.

But if you MF increase only gives you 20% increase in uniques, then its not ok to sacrifice 50% of your killing speed for it.

18. Gorny

Gorny Banned

That sounds good, I don't mind slightly slower runs. But then again there is always a certain point ( different depending on character, play style and specific run type) where one would need to make a decision on MF% and run/killing speed.

19. Atompilz

Atompilz IncGamers Member

I swear, there is something screwy with mfing in 1.10. I ran the pit for about 2 weeks with 200%mf, and found a decent amount of uniques, nothing to cool, but still, there was a steady stream of unique drops. Now I have close to 500% mf, and I'm playing a skelliemancer, so my killing speed isn't compromised, I can't get a unique to drop in the pit for the life of me. Nothing, not even the crappiest ones. I had so many more uniques drop for me with 200% mf than do now with 500%.

And I've always found my coolest stuff on the way to other places. Shako, on the way to the pit. Tal's Armor, on the way to meph. Windforce, on the way to Izual. Stupid pit.

20. cryist

cryist IncGamers Member

Correct me if i am wrong, all f you guys have said that mfing is based on luck a lot of the times and how fast you can kill, but dosen't a high mf also determine the quality of the item droped. If it does then you would wnat a high mf to get a better quality drop..