Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Legit wannabes rant

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by UManTarget, May 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UManTarget

UManTarget IncGamers Member

Legit wannabes rant

Just a rant from a truly legit player.

I'm sick of ppl saying they are 100% legit. They say they don't bot dupe, or maphack.

Yet they have chars using high end runewords made from duped runes. They think they have EARNED these duped runes because they traded legit items for them.

You have EARNED nothing, and you are not legit. Those of us who are truly legit, use no high runes/runewords unless they are personally found by ourselves or close trusted friends.

I've heard these legit wannabes spout off things like "I'm keeping it real" "I'm playing the game the way it was intended to be played." I've got news for you, you're either 100% legit, or 0% legit. If you use ANY duped items (runes) then you fall under the 0% legit category.

Stop giving those of us who are legit a bad name, and stop kidding yourselves.

What really irks me is that some of these legit wannabe's go around with a holier-than-thou attitude. That's not what being legit is about. Real legit players are legit because to them, it's more fun to play that way. If I thought that trading off some of my items for lots of high runes, and runewords would be more fun, I would do that.

Play the game however you want to play it, but stop pretending you are something you are not.

End of rant. Beginning of snack. I didn't grow this snack myself, but I'm fairly certain it isn't duped and won't go poof (until 6-8 hours after I eat it).

2. tinncann25

tinncann25 IncGamers Member

so ur gona play d2 without ever using a single high end runeword? i dont think ur playing the game how it is intended if u never get a chance to experience all the different items

3. UManTarget

I didn't say that I wouldn't play with a high runeword. If I were to find the runes required for a high runeword, I would definately make that runeword. Find being the operative word.

4. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

if you found the items yourself and traded for runes, i dont see how you didnt earn those runes.

just wondering, how many high rw's have you made? you are obviously in a huge minority, i doubt there are 3 people on this forum with at least one high rw that play "100% legit" in your terms of the word.

if you dont use duped runes, you're missing out on a lot of fun stuff.

edit - also, after thinking about it more, you seem to be talking about 100% untwinked, not legit. legit people just stay away from all hacks and cheats and even bugs i suppose.

5. Tatianasaphira

Tatianasaphira IncGamers Member

Wow, I come back from a very long absence and I see that nothing has changed. Its nice to see that people getting along with each other.

From someone who was a legit player (currently all my characters expired as I play RagnarokOnline now) it is surprising that people are still behaving like this. It took me 3 years to get all my legit gear as well as my amazon to 99. To hear you talk that was a waste of space to me.

And it really was legit. Every item, every set, and most of the unique items as well.

6. Ebuski

Ebuski IncGamers Member

I just don't see the point in ranting about people who aren't as "legit" as you, they are doing you no harm by using high end runewords that could possibly be duped. You may pride yourself on not using these items and that is your form of enjoyment, but for some people it's working hard and getting these high-end runewords to play with.

7. distancepieman

distancepieman IncGamers Member

100% or 0%, all or none. Apparently I'm now considered non-legit as well. Well, if I'm already on the 0% end, does that mean I can't get lower by downloading all the virus infested hack programs and setting up a 24/7 bot to play for me? No, I don't have 25 ebotd's or an enigma in every conceivable armor type, I have one of each, and except for the zod and the jah, I found the rest mysef. I'm sure I'm still considered a bad person though, because I used something I didn't find myself. If I wanted to be entirely self sufficient, I'd go back to single player where I started, and pull out my internet cable so I would never be able to "cheat" again.

~Bails

8. Tatianasaphira

For the simple reason that duped items are a crock.

You didn't earn that, you didn't see the pleasure of it dropping right in front of you. You either traded with someone that used a program to duplicate something. Or you used a program yourself so that you can call yourself "elite"

Elite would be saying that you took the time and effort into playing the game and watched your hard work drop right in front of you

9. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

I'll start of with this:

"Only a Sith Lord deals in absolutes."

(just some amusement about the 100%/0% for those of you how understand it :D )

And to respond more detailed to the original poster:

So, you consider yourself a 'legit' player because you don't use any hacks and don't dupe items? You even take it one step too far imo, when you say that you consider trading for runes (that have A possibility of being duped) to be non legit too. Well my good sir, I have news for you, if you consider trading for runes not to be legit, than you can't be 100% legit either. Consider the next fact (and I'm not exxagerating here, merely pointing something out):

If you enter a game where someone walks around that uses maphack, you don't use the hack, but since you're in the same game, the slightest movement you've made towards him (even without knowing him being a maphacker) will be considered as you using the hack too. (it is the same example of the one which you gave with the runes)

You see how proposterous your idea is? I consider legit to be: playing without hacks and leaving a game as soon as you find out that some other person ingame is using any hack.

10. Tatianasaphira

I said most because I had 4 characters devoted to crap jewels, gems for crafting. And I simply didn't have the room for everything. Mind you in my heyday I had 12 accounts running to keep all my items.

11. KillJoyBob

KillJoyBob IncGamers Member

I completely agree. You're either a legit player, or you're not.

However, its useful to keep the following in mind. Blizzard by making the best items in the game near impossible to attain legitimately, basically opened the door for all the duping and cheating.

12. distancepieman

distancepieman IncGamers Member

That wasn't said in total seriousness, hopefully it wasn't taken that way. I don't believe in bots/hacking/duping either, and I try not to support those who do. I've played for several years and have 4 accounts, all full, and at least half of them are mules. I rarely trade for items, and if so, it's usually some mediocre mid-unique that I can't find when I want it for leveling or something. Otherwise, I auction off my good but not personally useful items in public games for pgems. I am not worried about duped gems, most people wouldn't waste the time, and they'll be rolled away seconds later anyway. I like to think I remain within the moral standards that are remaining in this game, and know that most here do the same.

~Bails

13. Aminal

Aminal IncGamers Member

I think that the advantage to playing ladder is that you can save every rune you ever find and actually get high runewords legit. In Ladder there is no cap to how high you can trade up. That make it a plus for playing truly lrgal. I'm not gonna lie and say I'm legit now but the idea of playing ladder with the trade up to keep it clean has many of its own draws.

14. stkrause

stkrause IncGamers Member

So, why are you ranting, if it's not about high moral grounds but just about the fun? With this rand you are doing *exactly* what you criticize.

So, you have a definition of "legit", that happens to be the way you are. Others may have an alternate definition, which does not demand "don't trade high runes". I don't think "legit" is defined in the Oxford English Dictionary or by some ISO standard. So stick with your definition, but accept there may be others. So "we" are not "pretending" to be anything, "we" just legit by another (maybe weaker) definition.

And to be honest, I don't see the "un-legitness" of trading high runes. On Europe Ladder, a high rune is 6 IST. You can cube an OHM with 8 IST. That's no soo far off, so I can't see why I should spend the two additional IST just to stay legit in your definition. As you say, it's about the FUN. So no need to rant.

*stkrause

(p.S.: And that's from a player that doesn't own a single high-rune. But I'm about to change that and trade for a LO. For 6 IST. And I don't feel "0% legit" because of it :eek: )

15. UManTarget

I can see that you missed the point entirely.

I'm not chastising ppl who use hacks duped items bots, etc...

What I'm saying is that some ppl consider using duped runes(words) to be legit. Those so called legit ppl need to stop living in denial. They need to admit that they are not legit.

I'll try to use an analogy to better explain.

We'll take 3 ppl.

Person A: A law abiding citizen with no criminal record.
    This will be the legit player.

Person B: A psychotic serial killer.
    This will be the botter/maphacker/duper.

Person C: Someone who has commited grand larceny, but has not been caught.
    This will be the "legit wannabe".

Bear in mind that these examples are a bit extreme, but only for the purpose of getting my point across.

Person A (legit) plays by the rules and is content to do so.
    Person B (duper) breaks all the rules and is content to do so.
    Person C (legit wannabe) plays by the rules for the most part, but thinks he is on par with Person A.

As to pizza's comments.
    Even by trading legit items for duped runes, you haven't earned those runes. The only reason you can afford to trade for high runes is because the realms are saturated with dupes, lowering the prices. By trading for these duped runes, you increase the demand for more dupes to be made. If everyone refused to trade for duped runes, there would be no reason for dupers to dupe them; other than for their own personal use.

As for myself, the only "high" runewords that I have are a couple of hoto flails. Early on in the ladder season I saved up all of my hellforge runes to create these.

As for how many ppl play legit on these forums? That I can't answer, but there are other forums out there. I frequent one of them that advocates, and to a lesser extent enforces playing legitimately. There are more legit players on the realms than you know.

16. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

There is absolutely no possible way to know if a rune is duped or found. Yes, there are a large number of duped runes on the realms right now, but they are not ALL duped. Since there is no way to know for sure if one is duped or not, the people using them can't possibly know that they might be "0% legit" (in your definition), and you can't possibly know if they are "100% legit" or "0% legit".

So the people that you are describing in your first post, you have absolutely no idea if they are using really legit runes that someone else found, or duped runes that were created by a hack program of some sort. What are you are doing, is assuming that since most runes are duped, theirs must also be.

17. Angel_Dusted

Angel_Dusted IncGamers Member

Yes, yes. Holier than thou attitudes not withstanding (odd, seems ironic now that I look at your rant :rolleyes: ) there's something to be said NOT using Maphack, NOT duping items, and NOT scamming/acquiring items through any other illicit means, however, I for one most disagree with you on this particular issue.

Now, when Blizzard made the command decision to make runes, etc. obscenely rare (in the millions, if not dozens of millions) they open Pandora's Box, because by tempting us, the players, with such powerful, yet impossible to obtain, items, they effectively gave us no other way gain them other then associating ourselves with those less savory elements of Battle.net, namely the hackers, dupers, etc.

For those of us who consider ourselves "legitimate", we, who actually play the game with the general public who has fallen prey to these devices, must, if we wish to remain competitive, gain such items for use, either for use in public PvP or MFing (which is the less excusable of the two) they become borderline essential.

I just completed my own, and yes, I'm going to call it "legit", Enigma. It was MY self-found 198 HoZ, 4/5 fire facet, 5/5 cold facet, Hellforge Gul Rune, Hellforge Mal rune, Arreat's Face, Paladin Combat skiller with 23 life, and my Perfect Verdungo's that went into that. I invested the hours to find a 15 ED 3OS Wirefleece from the Moo Moo Farm (the name just reeks of "dignified", doesn't it?) accompanied by my own wading through the hordes of elitists in order to purchase Jah and Ber runes.

Bit of a rant, but, honestly, for those of us who want to taste the kind of power that these new-generation runewords represent, there really is no alternative to trading for them. Will my Enigma be gone after another Rust Storm? You bet, but I'll be darned if I feel ashamed because someone tells me that I'm not allowed to get the most out of Diablo II because I don't defy innumerable odds.

I have plenty of respect for what you're doing, and believe me, playing untwinked with no gear that could have so much as a hint of corruption is certainly honorable, but, seriously, don't go on a tirade just because the rest (read: vast majority) of us don't want to invest hundreds upon thousands of hours of our lives trying to perfect our gear. Heck, at least give us props for using the same map that the devs gave the game.

Look, if playing "legitimately" in your sense of the word gives you satisfaction, then heck, do so! Enjoy the game! Just keep your moral highground in your own backyard and don't try and make yourself out to be a martyr, because no matter how hard you try, we all play the same game. :cool:

18. Rehsa

Rehsa IncGamers Member

i agree 100% with: Diabolico x64

there is no way to know if what you have traded for is legit or duped. By only trading on these forums, i'm sure most of everything is legit on these forums, not everything, but a majority of things on these forums are. I don't trade on open battlenet in public games, i only trade here on the forums thus giving me a better chance of getting a legit item.

i don't even have any high runes, and don't plan on really making any high runewords for a while, as i feel i don't need them at this point.

finding all the runes yourself = you know your legit and you'll rave about it etc. if someone else looks at you in game, and you say you found them all, 90% of people wont believe you, and thus they will turn into you, posting a rant on these forums being ticked off about people who don't play legit because they assume you don't and you're raving about it.

do I believe you made HoZ and other runewords completely legit that you found... sure i do... but if you come into a game, don't announce yourself etc and refer to this thread and say things like complete legit etc... i wont believe a word, even if it is true, because anything said in public games holds pretty much no merrit anymore.

if someone knows it's duped, then your rant applies, but otherwise, if they don't think it is etc, then there is no way to prove if it is or isn't unless it poofs, but even then it could happen to someones legit runes poof for whatever reason (which has happened, or so people say).

19. MoonUnit

MoonUnit IncGamers Member

Not sure if this is related to this rant or not but I've only traded for a ebotdz and coh. Most of the enigmas/coh/botd/beast i have made myself, granted I traded gear for runes but if that makes me 0% legit, I guess i am a notlegit player. Guess my definition of 'legit' is different from yours, but thats ok, as there are many different difinitions.

20. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

LOL, nice to see that you are living in your own simple "0% or 100%" world. That saves you from a lot of thinking, I guess.

For you, I'm a wannabe and you can think about me what you want. I'm not even insulted by your posting. As I'm already 0% legit in your eyes, I can as well start duping, install MH and all the other hacks, scamming and stealing other people's accounts etc. without getting any less legit, right ?

IMO it's you who has the "Holier than thou" attitude.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.