Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Legit items going poof? What is going on?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Patch Bug Reports & Suggestions' started by Buraque, May 24, 2005.

1. Buraque

Buraque IncGamers Member

Legit items going poof? What is going on?

This was happened in Europe...
    About 1~2 weeks before, Shenk (or other minion, boss) dropped me a BER rune. It was a private MF run, there was no other people in the game.
    I kept it for a while, dreaming making an enigma :drool: .

However that was the ONLY valuable item I had, and there was no hope to find or buy a JAH, I traded it for other items.
    You can see in this thread: http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=349184

But I had a message from xxDevilxx today, that BER rune was gone poof and he is accusing me being a liar!
    I am so pissed right now. I was called liar because of some virtual item, some bunch of digital data dissapeared from bnet servers.
    Anyone else lost their legit :rolleyes: items on bnet?

2. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

As far as I know, the "poof means duped" rule is just an assumption.

For all I know, Blizzard could just randomly poof stuff as part of their overall piss-off-the-legit-players policy, or it could be a bug in their software, or or or or ...

Or the guy could have confused your BER with some other.

The possibilities are endless.

3. zirilion

zirilion IncGamers Member

that policy might be true
    especially with then not caring anymore

4. hulla-hop

hulla-hop IncGamers Member

well, personally i would tell xxdevilxx to shut the hell up. he's dealin in so obscene amounts of hr's himself that i bet he wouldnt be able to tell them apart. prolly just one of his duped runes that poofed and now trying to dump it on someone else.

5. Col.Kurtz

Col.Kurtz IncGamers Member

Hm.

Imagine it was a duped rune he traded, what different would it make.

People that trade those runes, are aware of the fact that they CAN/WILL poof. It's a risk they have to take. They agree to take the risk when they trade with you.

No one is blaming you, xxdevilxx should know that runes like that can dissapear.

Never trade runes like that if you aren't going to use them in an item.

6. Buraque

Buraque IncGamers Member

Cannot agree more!
    I am playing this game for years, always been a legit player. For all those years, I have found only 2 high runes, one of them was this Ber rune, the other one is a Jah I found a year ago, before I quit.
    And Blizzard deleted one of them...
    Who can blame me if I say "what the heck! I'm gonna go to best_D2_hacks_are_here.com and start duping like theres no tomorrow!"
    Just plain stupid.

7. MasterWolf

MasterWolf IncGamers Member

Despite all the hate for this other dude, sometimes when you trade you specify "IS THIS LEGIT" and then it's a pain if it poofs. Usually you just gotta assume all HRs are duped, but when I trade for Vex/Ist/Gul I usually ask if they are legitly found, cause I don't like dealing with poofing runes.

However, if you are sure your item was legit, then pay it no more attention. Just tell him yours was legit and he must be mistaken. Or possibly he got hit with rollback?

8. Buraque

Buraque IncGamers Member

Hate??
    Naaah!
    Hate for what? For a game which even its creator doesn't give a heck about anymore?
    no no no...

Just some guy, I don't know who he is, accusing me being a liar for what? Ber rune gone poof.

If that Ber rune was duped, THE ONE and THE ONLY way is it duped by battle.net server.

I pm'ed him, and AGAIN explained the situation, and warned him that he must be careful about when he accusing people wiht something...

You know what happened? He pm'ed me back, and he doesn't even consider that this can be a bnet bug/glitch whatever you call.. He STILL accuses me being a liar..

Anyway I'm gonna give his stuff back, just waiting him msg me.. Just sick of this...

9. Arutha

Arutha IncGamers Member

I have had sigons gloves disappear. Now I doubt anyone is going to dupe sig gloves so......

10. bluedragoon

bluedragoon IncGamers Member

u are one pathetic duper if u dupe sigon gloves ;). I also have had some items from my mules disappear, or i just lost them somewhere, maybe the guy just had the same, and misplaced it. Or he is just screwing u around( i dont know if hes good trader dont know him, if he is trustable i take it back) I wouldnt give him his items back, whatever he's saying. If u found it urself, and ur sure u didnt dupe it :))) u should just keep the items i think

11. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

There are supposedly duping methods that don't involve hacks at all. I'm fairly certainly I duped something by accident once. That or it was just a really brief rollback.

12. Tim B

Tim B IncGamers Member

i once gave away tancreds skull to a guy using the trade window. shortly after i left the game, but when used that char again i still had the tancreds skull(which i then sold to charsi). Dunno what happened to the char i give tancreds to, but it could explain how sigons got duped.

13. Darnoc

Darnoc IncGamers Member

Ya, that happened to me once with a pair of gorefoot boots that I had dropped and my friend picked up real fast; I was surprised to find a pair of gorefoots still in my inventory. Just a stupid game glitch sometimes. It would suck though if it happened the other way, as possibly with the case of the ber rune; you can never be too careful with stuff like that, especially since anytime I trade for a hr a good portion of my d2 wealth is tied up in it. As someone said before, its best to have everything ready to socket the rune so nothing happens to it (hopefully).

14. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Supposedly runes can still poof right off of the item or so the rumor goes. I wonder if that's true though. With all the BotDs out there you'd think Zods would be poofing out of Zerker Axes and Collossus Swords on a regular basis but you don't hear about it too often. The only perming method that sounds surefire to me is to upgrade your runes for a new ID tag.

15. SirDooFuss

SirDooFuss IncGamers Member

I remember pre-1.10 that supposedly if two players entered a game with the same item, one of them a dupe and one of them legit, that either one could go poof depending on who entered the game first. I have no idea if this was actually the case and have no idea how the poofing works now.
    However, my policy with high runes is:

1) I do not trade for them unless I have something to stick them in immediately.

2) When I find one I stick in on a mule that I do not use in public games, or stick it in a item.

3) I know that if it still goes poof, so what, it's all virtual anyway!!! It's not like I spilled my beer or anything!:buddies:

16. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

My friend once duped a cold gc on accident. It's because the server crashed while he was on it, and his friend that was holding his item forgot to give it back and left, and thus didn't get rollback when the server crashed, though my friend did.

Hence, they both had cold grand charms. Funnily enough neither has poofed.

(MOD NOTE, I'm not trying to discuss a "dupe method", if this would qualify with that nuke it and let me know, I won't bring it up again.)

17. Lensor

Lensor Banned

Once my self-found perfect chanceguards poofed right out of my old hammerdin (rest his soul :stoned: ). I never figured out what happaned, guess now I know.