Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Legendary Item Drop Research Survey: Answers Requested

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Flux, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

In Diablo 2 we had access to the game code and thus players could calculate exactly the odds for every type of item to drop from every type of monster, with MF and all other relevant factors figured in. (Massive article explaining it in the wiki.)That didn't tell you what other people were finding since you didn't know how other people were playing, but since all drops were ninja looting you could at least see what fell in any MP game. That's not true how things work in Diablo 3. In D3 the stats and drop tables are not visible on the player end, and with individual drops we only know what drops for us, which may not be at all representative as MF and MP vary greatly between different players.

Lately I've grown curious about this and have been asking friends in-game some questions about their legendary luck. So here are some of those questions, as a sort of community survey. Answer as many as you like in whatever detail you can offer, add details or tidbits I didn't ask about if they seem relevant, and I'll go over all the replies and try to absorb and maybe collate some sort of overall picture of the drop rates. All questions refer to legendaries and sets, though you're free to differentiate in your replies.

1. Is there an amount of MF that once you reach or exceed it you notice your legendary drops increasing noticeably?
    2. Have you ever gotten a legendary or set from a main quest or act boss on your first time through? (On any diff level, not including Inferno bosses you're running repeatedly. I mean just that first time when you get the bonus multi-rare drop even with zip for MF.)
    3. What are some legendary items or item types you see way more often than chance should provide?
    4. What are some legendary items or item types you see much less often than chance should provide?
    5. Where do you get most of your legendaries? Elites? Treasure Goblins? Golden chests? Trash mobs?
    6. Do you notice a correlation of higher item level = fewer of that particular item? Such as more Andy's hats (lvl 62) vs. Mempos (lvl 63.)
    7. How do your sets vs. legendary drops compare in frequency? How about on item types that have a set and a leg, such as chest armor or rings/amulets?
    8. How do you feel about the overall frequency of legendary drops in D3? Would you like more or fewer, more with higher MF, more as a bonus on higher MP, more from Act Bosses, etc?
    9. Any general comments or other questions I should add up here?

Answer in as much detail as you can, and sure, this isn't quite statistical science since it's all anecdote, but enough of us added together might yield some useful trends. And maybe someone keeps actual records in Excel of all their orange/green item finds?

Update: Since some people asked about helping with data tracking, here's what I've been tracking on my legendary drops lately, for future data accumulation and comparison. Feel free to join in and help build up the database. Minimum data to record:

• Legendary name and its ilvl.
    • What dropped it: (trash mob, champion, yellow, random purple, quest purple, gobby, chest, golden chest, etc)

Update #2: Report your results in the official tabulation thread.

Update #3: Check out the sweeping conclusions drawn from this survey, with sobering facts about why you so seldom find the few legendary items you most want.

2. Flux

Flux Administrator

My answers:

1. I used to say over 300% it really made a diff. I still hold to that, but I notice legs considerably more often over 400%. There's no magic number but it definitely improves somewhat geometrically. Seems like 400% MF yields at least 6-8x as many legendaries as 200%.

2. Nope. Found a few from Inferno kills with higher level chars and high MF, but never on the first time through.

3. I used to find an obscene number of orange spirit stones. Llke 1/4 of all my leg finds for months. Lately I find crazy amounts of bracers. Like 1/5 of all my leg drops. I find a ton of helms also, 98% of which are Andy's. No weapons leap to mind for frequency, though various of the 2H weapons seem fairly common, possibly since all but Skorn are completely useless so I remember and get annoyed.

4. Hard to remember since I never see them. I can't recall ever finding a WD dagger except a few gidbinns. Very seldom found any LEG 1H barb weapons either. Hardly ever see orange pants, though I get green ones semi-often.

5. Seems like I get about 50/50 trash mobs vs. elite drops. Very seldom gobby or big boses, almost never golden chest or other clickable. Surprisingly often I get them right when a game starts, before I'm stacked, though that's usually on a max MF char on MP3, so I'm at 375 to start off.

6. Very much so on some item types. I've found at least 30 or 40 Andy's hats (62) and just 2 mempos (63) ever. I've never found Fist of Az'Turrasq (63) though I've found a dozen Crystal Fists (63) and many more WKLs (62). I've found at least 10 to 1 Firewalkers (62) vs Ice Climbers (63).

This is not true across the board, so maybe it's just my RNG? I've found more Empyrean Messenger (63) than The 300 Spear (60). And I've found as many or more lacunis (63) than strongarms (62). I've found at least a dozen sunkeepers (63) and only 2 or 3 Echoing Fury (62).

7. I don't feel like greens are way less common than legs, considering the total number of each. (There are a lot more orange than green items.) I think I have actually have found more green amulets and rings than orange. (many more green chests than orange chests, but there are more green chests in the game.)

8. I think the drop rate is okay in the end game. Once I have 350% or more MF it feels tolerable. I do think act bosses or ideally new bosses at the bottom of very deep dungeons should have a much higher chance of dropping legs. And I think drop rate should be higher for lower levels, especially pre-Inferno. Only finding one leg total (if that many) from lvl 1-60 sucks.

3. InteNuIgen

InteNuIgen Diabloii.Net Member

1. About 250 - 300% i started to notice a difference

2. No

3. Spirit stone, Ivory tower & Andys helm comes to mind

4. Mempo (found none)

5. I feel it's about equal, meaning there are a lot fewer from elites and goblins since there are fewer of these. But i have gotten legendarys from chests, dead bodies, just about anything

6. The feeling is that 63's are super-rare, like mempos

7. Just a hunch here but maybe 1 set item for every 7 legendary?

8. I think overall frequency is fine, but like you said Flux, they could up it a little for zero MF. Much more common to find nothing from 1-60 than to find one

9. For the interested, i counted the drops over 100 runs with some summary and graphs in the end, in this thread:
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?842944-Keeping-track-of-legendary-drops

4. fmulder

fmulder Site Contributor

I play solo + self-found only so my answers may deviate somewhat from those who play multi and / or use the AH.

1. No, my max MF is less than 200.

2. Never.

3. Melee weapons, mostly axes. Both 1 and 2 handed.

4. Never found any off-hand items like shields, orbs and mojos. Never found an amulet either.

5. Elites and mobs. Once from a goblin, never from a chest.

6. Not really. To use the examples given, I have found a Mempos, but not an Andy's.

7. Legendary way more than sets. Only found 4 set items but 4-5 times that number in legs.

8. Definitely want more, preferably with higher MP level and MF. Not with Quest bosses though since I never enjoyed boss farming in D2.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  5. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes Diabloii.Net Member

1. If there is, I haven't reached it. People say there is, which I assume is correct.

2. No

3. Don't think any is dropping totally out of proportion.

4. Feels like I'm seeing set items very rarely. Item slots has been fairly balanced out though.

5. Elites and trash.

6. Yeah. Certainly seen more 62 than 63. That said, most of my play-time was before many of the droprate changes, so hard to say what it is if I only looked at the newer drops.

7. A lot more legendary items. Well, not that many, just very very few set items (like 5 set items ever).

8. Drop amount is probably fine. Just a lack of quality on the drops. And too few sets.
    Would like to see more drops from bosses (but in a way that discourages farming them), rare mobs, quests, and exploration in general. A little less emphasis on MF - much more on building NV/exploration.
    Higher droprates for low lvl as well.

6. Malaterre

Malaterre Diabloii.Net Member

1. I have reached inferno recently and I play self loot. So no MF, really. Nephalem buff makes a huge difference though (extremely noticeable in the number of yellow drops, for example).

2. No

3+4. Not enough legendaries to say

5. Elites + Champions. Without a lot of MF/Parangon, Nephalem is really important (being the only source of MF)

6. No idea. Never found any lvl 63 objects, though.

7. A lot more legendaries. I never saw a set item, actually. Neither have the two friends I am playing with. We started calling the set items "urban legends" a while ago.

8+9. No real idea. To succeed in MP0, you do not need legendaries. I am not sure that improving a bit the drop rate will allow me to reach high MP (as the probability to get the right equipment with self loot would remains extremely low). I guess it's part of the global itemization problems of the game but I am not sure that simply changing a bit the drop rate of legendaries/sets will solve anything. I am more expecting an overall improvement of the item's game (aka loot 2.0 or extension or console version). Anyway, as a casual player, I don't mind staying in low MP games.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  7. Steven Hazani

Steven Hazani Diabloii.Net Member

1: 300-500, before this you see about 1/day if you're lucky, after it you see 1-10 an hour (the RNG is very, very swingy).
    2: Nope.
    3: Lacuni's (but all are brims).
    4: Mempo, Witching Hour.
    5: Trash mobs.
    6: Yes, but really it's any chance to be good = drastically reduced drop rate. Most stars are auto brims. Compare ilvl 61 gloves vs ilvl 63 gloves, then compare gladiator gauntlets (auto brim) to tasker and theo (likely a brim).
    7: Most are gold, green items are rare.
    8: At this point you could make a legendary drop from every 10th enemy and you'd still mostly just increase your brimstone collection. Improve QUALITY, not quantity by raising the floor on the damn things.
    9: It'd be nice if there were an effective means of finding items other than killing hordes of unrewarding enemies. Act bosses, elites, whatever. Do something so the game isn't an AoE fest. Even the most obsessive sorts are already losing interest in the game.

8. capnlarge

capnlarge Diabloii.Net Member

1)Don't know about % but on MP6 I notice a HUGE boost in legendary drops as opposed to mp 5 and below.
    2)Yeah I think once in nightmare with the monk I've been eternally attempting to get to 60.
    3)Seems like I'm always getting the same ones: Ivory Tower, Strongarm Bracers, Gladiator Gauntlets, Fragment of Destiny
    4)I'd like to see more legendaries that are worth more than a brimstone
    5)I'd say elite mobs drop them way more often but there are a lot more trash mobs so I get most of my legs from trash.
    6)I dunno about higher item level. I think that every legendary has a specifically coded drop rate. I've probably seen half a billion Tasker and Theo and Slorak's Madness and they are 63.
    7)There aren't as many set items as legendaries, so naturally they drop less. Best I've found is a mediocre tal's helm and inna's belt
    8)I will echo the sentiments of most in this thread. I feel like I get plenty of legendaries with my plevel 68 on MP8 but when I was playing through the game with that character from 1-60, I only found 2 legs through 3 difficulty levels.
    9)It would be nice if some of the pre 60 legendaries had special abilities that made them end game viable.

9. Tigerpaw

Tigerpaw Diabloii.Net Member

Great topic, especially since finding Legendaries is probably the biggest factor that keeps me coming back to this game over and over.

First let me state that, like fmulder, most of my play time is solo/self-found, and in soft core, though I recently started a Hardcore Barbarian with some rather unusual Legendary luck.

1. From my play experience, I have absolutely no idea if MF makes a difference with Legendary/Set drops. I can, if I choose, deck out my DH with max MF and once I tried a bit of play on MP5 – that means I started at 425% MF and reached 500% MF once I got a full five stacks. I got zero drops with that brief play experience. I decided to drop back down to MP4…and got my first Legendary drop before even killing my first boss pack (in fact I think it came from a minion of that first pack!) only a few minutes into the game.

The other character I play a lot is my Wizard, who runs around with a lot less MF (maybe between 300-350% with a full 5 stacks) and I seem to get a fair amount of drops with her as well…on the best day of drops I ever had, more than half of them came while playing her (and this was when both chars were much lower in Paragon level).

On the completely other end of the spectrum, I've found three legendaries so far with my (newly created) hardcore Barbarian – pretty minimal magic find (playing on MP 5) and only about half-way through Act III on Normal. Go figure.

2. I think I might have gotten a Legendary drop from Belial with one of my characters…I know I don't farm him at all, just can't remember the details. The crappy drops from act bosses is definitely a disappointing aspect of this game.

3. Monk helms (Madstone anyone?); the Witch Doctor set helm; WD mojos, specifically The Thing of The Deep; Andy's Helm (zero Mempos for me so far)…and I think the worst offender for me has to be Frostburns – dropped too many times for such a worthless item.

4. Rings/amulets don't hardly drop for me at all (I think I found 2 rings and one ammy total), though the hardest to find item type for me is definitely quivers – yesterday, I finally found my first Legendary quiver, while playing my HC Barb. Again, go figure.

5. I think I find more from trash mobs than elites…I know I've gotten some drops from the goblins, but to date I've found a total of one Legendary from a resplendent chest (though I have gotten them from weapon racks/crates etc.).

6. Don't know on that…

7. I used to never see Set items at all…I finally got my first drop after the 1.05 patch that increased drop rates a bit. I think the Leg/Set ratio is okay…I've been able to find most of both the IK and Inna's sets for my soft core Barb and Monk respectively.

8. I think the drop rate should be a bit higher…I tend to experience some significant dry spells where they just won't drop, regardless of MF/character being used. Then I'll switch to another character, play for five minutes and bang, get one or two right away. Drops from act bosses definitely need to be improved…and drops in the lower difficulty levels need to be buffed as well.

Lower level items, the ones you'd only find in Normal (or maybe Nightmare too) are probably the rarest items in the game since you have very low MF (if that matters at all) and you're never re-playing the content (at least not with the same character) so you need a really lucky roll to see even one of these. I am extremely surprised that I've found three legendaries on my HC Barb, who is lvl 30 and only half done with Act III.

9. I'll echo another poster in saying that the quality of Legendaries needs to be greatly improved. I love the effect when they drop – that's one thing that Blizzard did right! – but it's sad when it's for garbage items most of the time.

One other note, one that's kind of amusing…the first Legendary drop ever in this game was Magefist, which I believe dropped for my DH back in late Act III normal. The first Legendary to drop for my HC Barb was, again, Magefist (though this time late in Act II normal). Amusingly, I had a WD voodoo mask drop less than five minutes later as well.

10. Flux

Flux Administrator

Cool. I was hoping someone had kept actual records of their finds, or knew of a thread on B.net or reddit or someplace with such a compilation, since any hard data on this is so hard to come by. I'm going to start noting my leg/set finds to build some DB, since memories are very subjective.

11. Dogbert

Dogbert Diabloii.Net Member

1. I have noticed no difference between a lvl 0 paragon and a lvl 50 paragon. And i don't use any mf gear.
    2. No. Haven't got a legendary/set from an act boss EVER. Can they even drop those?
    3. Used to find like 10 gladiator gauntlets for every other type of legendary/set gloves. Same with ivory towers.
    4. Don't know
    5. Trash mobs definitely.
    6. Don't know
    7. Set items seem to be more rare.
    8. Give act bosses and the useless purple bosses a high chance of dropping a legendary so they are less useless. Droprates are otherwise decent i guess.
    9. Me and my two friends used to get 5-7 legendaries every act3 run during the first couple of days 1.0.4 was out. 100 paragon levels and 4 patches later that has yet to occur again. So i think it's safe to say something happened behind the curtains back then.

Also could add i found two dead man quivers in the same game. And also two identical rare rings while farming in act 3. So there are definitely some bugs need to be squashed.

12. marcelobda

marcelobda Diabloii.Net Member

1. 300~400%, the bonus drop chance from high MP lvls helps a lot too

2. Never, the bonus drop chance from the first kill dont help at all, mostly probably because the drop chance on lower lvls is overall way too low.

3. I´ve seen way more Frost Gaunglets that I needed lol. But Overall, i think that lvl 59 drop way too much. But Im not sure, probably is just the feeling of droping crap legendaries is easier to remember. I dont have any data.

4. Maybe class specific itens, for exemple, i never droped a IK´s Boulder Breaker.

5. I rarely do runs to just kill trash, im kinda ocd, have to kill everything. I think my legendaries are half from trash and half from elites.

6. Yes, but its logic, because the drop chance for lvl 62 itens is higher than the chance for lvl 63 itens.

7. For Set vs. Legendary I think its 1/7. For kind of equipment, I think its pretty even, just lower rates for rings and ammys.

8. After lvl 60 I think the legendary drops are ok, dont need more, just more quality for most legendaries. But bellow 60 is just a joke, i lvled all the classes to 60, some after mp, so I was playing at least mp5, without any rush, and I just found 3 legendaries on average from 1 to 60. And I think that make boss running profitable somehow would make the game a bit more fun too.

9. Will be interesting to see ppl´s impression on the legendaries drop, even thought i dont think it cant be considered as precise data, since its so related to feelings, overall a lot of frustration with the bad drops, making any statement a little bit imprecise.
    I think i would ask if ppl will be interested in leveling another chars if the legendary drops for lower lvls get better.

13. Palandus

Palandus Diabloii.Net Member

1. N/A. Haven't gotten my MF above 300 yet, and otherwise I don't notice any pattern in legendary drop rates. Though the ones that do drop are almost always trash which destroys the feeling of getting them.
    2. Nope.
    3. I've only found ILV 60+ 1 Hand Weapons and a single quiver and a single ring. Otherwise no other ILV60+ Legendaries. I've found the occasional ILV10-59 Legendary.
    4. I have never found a Legendary Helmet or Legendary Pants for any ILV. These seem to be a dime / dozen on the AH.
    5. Trash mobs are the only creatures I've seen that drop Legendaries.
    6. Negatory. No correlation I've seen.
    7. About 20% sets, 80% legendaries.
    8. Biq question. I'll seperate it into parts:
    -> The overall frequency is too high for some legendaries and too low for others.
    -> I would like more legendary drops for rings, amulets, and helmets. I would like fewer legendary drops for weapons or offhands (as these generally are trash anyway)
    -> I would like superiorly rolled legendaries with higher MF rather than more Legendaries. At 400%+ MF I'd expect that when a Legendary drops it should be near perfectly rolled, whereas if it drops for a 100% MF player it would have a higher randomized chance of rolling stats (with a low possibility of rolling near perfectly)
    -> I would like Legendaries to have a much higher drop chance in higher MP levels. Afterall it takes the truly legendary player to manage MP 10, so I'd assume that Legendaries and GOOD ones at that would drop at that high MP Level.
    -> I would like a higher chance of legendaries dropping on an Act Boss when you have the full 5 stacks. Otherwise as they currently stand its better to farm elites than bosses. And by Act boss, I mean final Act Boss (ie Butcher, Belial, Azmodan, and Diablo ONLY)

9. Comments:
    -> Higher MF bonuses should guarantee with regular precision a better rolled legendary. MF shouldn't determine the rate of legendary drops, just the power of found legendary drops.
    -> Higher MP should reward players with better rolled legendaries and more legendaries as it takes a legendary character to do the higher MP levels. Legendary characters should get Legendary Loot.
    -> Final Act Bosses should have a higher chance to drop legendaries AND a much higher chance to drop weapons related to that Boss. Ie the Butcher's Sickle having a much greater chance of dropping off of the Butcher.
    -> Legendary items should have access to a higher tier of stats for the item class. Ex. Have a legendary helm have over 300 in a particular stat.
    -> Last but not least, the code should be opened up for the players to do their own value tweaking (not gonna happen but I thought I'd mention it)

14. BloodyFistHole

BloodyFistHole Diabloii.Net Member

Yes, I was keeping track of my finds until someone convinced me it was a waste of time... I really wish I had continued now, since this is the type of thread I've been looking for since Diablo 3 was released. One of my favourite parts about Diablo 2, was the community think tank. Any question you had regarding game mechanics, this community knew the answer. Every item had a specific place and situation to find it and I only wish it were true for D3. Unfortunately I can't answer any of these questions with enough certainty to make my opinion worthwhile, but I'm very happy to see this thread exists.

15. Thortok2000

Thortok2000 Diabloii.Net Member

Keeping in mind that prior to 1.0.8 I didn't really play that much and only ever saw like 2 legendaries drop ever, I'm going to stick to just 1.0.8.

Also, my personal experience since 1.0.8 has been playing hardcore and pre-level-60.

I don't really notice my mf, but I notice that when I play 4-player games, legendaries tend to drop from elites more often. When I play alone, legendaries tend to drop from random places like a random normal monster or opening a corpse.

My first legendary in playing hardcore in 1.0.8 starting with a new character was an axe that dropped from The Warden in Act 1 Normal. Genzaniku or something was the name of it. Later that same day another character found a different legendary item from a trash mob in that same area. This was while the anniversary buff was going on.

For the rest, I'll just say all legendaries I have sold and what I can remember about how I found them. This is all in Hardcore. I'm using the AH for the data. Also, I'll say what they sold for (I post auctions without a buyout price and default bid price.) I always post every legendary I find on the AH and only vendor it if it doesn't sell.

January 19th 2013 through January 22nd 2013: This was my first stint in hardcore and I eventually stopped for a long time. No legendaries at all.

May 11th was when I started back in hardcore again with level 1 characters.

May 21st I sold Genzaniku, which I had found from The Warden (sold for 1653g). Also sold See No Evil for 327g, that was found from a trash mob in the same area as The Warden.

May 22nd I sold Split Tusk for 558g.

May 27th I sold another See No Evil for 5100g. And a Rabid Strike for 4250g.

May 28th I sold a Magefist for 11449g.

May 30th I sold another Rabid Strike for 42500g. Guess they liked that one better. =P

On June 2nd I sold Girdle of Giants for 528g. I remember that dropping in Act 3 in the tower on the way down to the spider woman boss, from an elite.

On June 3rd I sold a Monster Hunter for 34687g. Pretty sure that dropped from an elite in act 2 in the cave looking for blood.

On June 8th I sold a Goldwrap for 37485g. I think that might have dropped in early act 3? Can't remember.

On June 17th, Kotuur's Brace sold for 741g, and Holy Point Shot for 4250g.

On June 19th, Bakkan Caster sold for 321g (but that was dropped by another player that didn't want it.)

On June 20th, The Barber sold for 9350g (dropped from an elite in early act 2 normal. This was when I started to notice the pattern of elites dropping legendaries in 4-player games, especially games that had really well-geared people in them, that I assume had a good MF value. It may just be confirmation bias, but I think other players' MF rubs off on my finds, if they have good MF it makes my drops better.)

On June 24th, Pox Faulds sold for 92434g. Dropped in early act 2 as well.

On June 26th, Aquila Cuirass sold for 66937g, dropped in mid act 2. Still dropping from elites.

Took a break for a bit. On July 6th, Fleshrake sold for 8500g.

On July 9th, Starfire sold for 734g.

On July 16th, The Mind's Eye sold for 768g.

Another break for about a week. On July 29th, Arreat's Law sold for 12750g.

Just recently, July 30th, Burizo-Do Kyanon sold for a whopping 1.7 million. Definitely my best sale to date! Also a Puzzle Ring sold for 255k. Still dropping from elite packs in multiplayer games.

Don't know if that data will help anyone, but, there ya go.

16. Thortok2000

Thortok2000 Diabloii.Net Member

Also, I will happily keep a spreadsheet if you wish, from now on.

But what stats should I keep? I can definitely record Difficulty, MP level, Act, zone, actual source of drop (what monster or thing dropped it), name of legendary, MF level at the time of drop, etc.

17. Flux

Flux Administrator

Cool, and it's hard to know exactly what to track since fans don't have access to the game code (as we did in D1/D2) so we're kind of going blind. Or just going by what Bliz tells us about drop rates, when everyone knows they're secretly tied to RMAH prices! Right? Basically whatever info would help you answer the questions in the OP that you find most interesting.

I'm taking notes on all my leg drops since I posted this, and I'm marking:

• Legendary name and its ilvl. (I'm not recording the item's roll quality, since that's random and unrelated to the legendary drop odds or your MF, AFAIK.)
    • What dropped it: (trash mob, champion, yellow, random purple, quest purple, gobby, chest, golden chest, etc)
    • My char's MF when it dropped.
    • The MP I'm playing on. (Since higher MP increases the chances of extra item drops from trash mobs, it should increase legs dropped, on top of the higher MF boosting total Legs found...)

It would be cool to have data on the areas the items were found in, but that's so non-random (since most players play in the same few high-density areas) that I'm not sure it would tell us much. "Look at all the legendaries in the Field of Misery! It must be the best odds to drop legs of all!!1!" I wouldn't be at all surprised if D3 was like D2, where there were big differences in different areas to find X and Y. Lower Kurast for high runes, The Pit for high TC items, etc. But unless/until fans get access to the drop codes in D3's data, we'll never know such quirky details.)

18. Laccnow

Laccnow Diabloii.Net Member

Q: Is there an amount of MF that once you reach or exceed it you notice your legendary drops increasing noticeably?
    A: Uh, maybe above 250-300% bonus MF.

Q:Have you ever gotten a legendary or set from a main quest or act boss on your first time through? (On any diff level, not including Inferno bosses you're running repeatedly. I mean just that first time when you get the bonus multi-rare drop even with zip for MF.)
    A: No, I never got a legendary item from a quest or act boss.

Q: What are some legendary items or item types you see way more often than chance should provide?
    A: Spirit Stones, Swords

Q: What are some legendary items or item types you see much less often than chance should provide?
    A: Helms

Q: Where do you get most of your legendaries? Elites? Treasure Goblins? Golden chests? Trash mobs?
    A: Trash mobs

Q: Do you notice a correlation of higher item level = fewer of that particular item? Such as more Andy's hats (lvl 62) vs. Mempos (lvl 63.)
    A: Yes, I've never seen a Mempo drop, but I had several Andariel's Visage.

Q: How do your sets vs. legendary drops compare in frequency? How about on item types that have a set and a leg, such as chest armor or rings/amulets?
    A: Sets are much less frequent. Items that have both legendary and set quality items drop their legendary stuffs more often.

Q: How do you feel about the overall frequency of legendary drops in D3? Would you like more or fewer, more with higher MF, more as a bonus on higher MP, more from Act Bosses, etc?
    A: I'd like to see them drop less frequently, but they should be good, and even the same item should have enough variety (random properties with tons of possible affixes)

Q: Any general comments or other questions I should add up here?
    A: I can't think about anything in particular now.

19. adastra

adastra Diabloii.Net Member

(Sorry for the cluster -I can't get the paragraphs to work)

I noticed the Frequency of Legendary/set items were low ever since the game's release and some time shorty after, I decided to take a screen shot of every legendary item I've found ... both on the ground where it dropped unID'ed and ID'd in my inventory.

I've got 1231 Hours of play with my barbarian. 169 hours of play with my Wizard, 111 hours with my Monk, 61 hrs with DH & 37 hrs with the WDoctor for a total: 1231+169+111+61+37=1609 hours played in total. (I've also Played Diablo since Diablo 1)

1. my barb now does the majority of my MF and ever since the last 2 patches I've noticed a significant increase in Leg drops at the MF lvl associated with being Paragon lvl 65 and higher.

2. I"ve never gotten a leg from an act boss and I have tried stacking mf as high as 400- 500%

3. I find the leg gloves with the LOH on them sometimes twice a day if I play for more than 3 hours.

4. I almost never find Leg rings or amulets and rare ever see set items.

5. trash mobs and elites (it used to be exclusively trash mobs but, has moved more to elites)

6. yes

7. set items have been about 5% of my drops

8. Bosses should most definitely have a chance to drop decent items (legs, sets and even higher lvl gems ... ethereal versions of those and jewels

9. I worry that with Loot 2.o rares will get messed up again. I know we all want legs to be better but, I hope it doesn't come to the point where it's impossible for a rare to roll high. Also, and more importantly, I would like to see Etheral legendaries come back, the socket quest, I NEED MORE STORAGE, Rune words, More gems, more shrines (like in d1) and JEWELS! MAN WE NEED JEWELS - those were awesome. But, mostly I would like to be able to create more characters per account. That would solve a few problems for me all at once. I'd be able to get more storage and I'd be able to have mules AND have both a softcore and HC character of each class. Then maybe I'd even get to do a self found character and a AH charater for both SC and HC classes </p>

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2013
  20. MoggStyle

MoggStyle Diabloii.Net Member

1 - yes, mini 300%
    2 - in killing Belial and at my first paragon level
    3 - i find 581 leg, 20 Ageless Might, 17 Gladiator Gauntlets, 15 Storm Crow, 14 Wizardspike, 13 Frostburn Gauntlets, 12 Echoing Fury, 12 Stormshield, 12 Dawn, 12 Hellrack, 11 Fire Walkers, 11 Cindercoat
    4 - 0 Bul-Kathos's Solemn Vow, 0 Bul-Kathos's Warrior Blood, 0 Shenlong's Fist of Legend, 0 Maximus, 0 Chantodo's Force, 0 Tal Rasha's Allegiance, 0 The Witching Hour, 0 Fury of the Vanished Peak, 0 Blade of the Warlord , 0 Kymbo's Gold, 0 Ouroboros, 0 Hierophant's Seal, 0 Danetta's Revenge
    5 - trash & elite
    6 - no, cause of weapon (many weapon lvl 63 are so weak ....)
    7 - 581 leg find, 101 of set & 480 of not set
    8 - the rate of drop is good at PM10 & paragon 100, but the problem is 50% of all leg are pure ****, 25% are passables, 25% can be realy good, but in this 25% only 10% of them are really good -> so only 2,5% of all your loots are really good. for me this represents 14 leg keeped on 581.

I do not think we should increase or decrease the rate of drop, the big problem was on the weapons, 80% of them are ****. And the % of drop of jewelry in genrale is too low