Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Legendary Gem

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Wurmer, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Wurmer

Wurmer Diabloii.Net Member

I have a question for you folks,

When a greater rift is completed and you can upgrade a gem do you have to do it right now or the upgrades can be saved for later upgrades for when you finish another greater rift ?

2. altermaven

altermaven Diabloii.Net Member

It's either/or, but once you start upgrading your gems you forefit your chance of rift progression. So if necessary, try to press for the next rift before doing gem upgrade.

I say this, because higher rift levels equal better chances of higher-rank gems being upgraded successfully.

If a gem's upgrade fails, then an attempt is simply wasted, but you can try again. Being finisher of a higher rift level than the gem's current rank increases the chances; if you finish below the gem's rank, the upgrade chance is there, but severely hindered.

3. tougeznut

tougeznut Diabloii.Net Member

What Altermaven said.

Basically you play a grift. At the end you get the choice of a gem upgrade, or a higher level g rift key. Once you select one and hit accept or whatever the button says, it's locked in to whatever you chose.

The best way to upgrade gems is to beat grifts that are 12 levels higher than your stone (until this becomes too difficult) because at 10 levels above your gem, you have a 100% chance to upgrade. So you get 100% for three of those upgrades. Then, you get 90% at 6-9 levels above your gems (I think). Then, 60% at 2-5 levels above, and 30% or lower from 1 level above to being below your gem level. My numbers may not be 100% correct, but that's what I remember.

4. Mage Slayer

Mage Slayer Diabloii.Net Member

That's not what he's asking (I think). The question is: if you chose to go for gem upgrades at the end of a grift run, can you not upgrade immediately and instead wait until the next time you get Urshi when you do another set of grifts. i.e. get six chances to upgrade the next time. Presumably with the intention of saving them for when you get a gem that hasn't dropped for you yet?

Anyway, I've never tried it, so I can't give a definitive answer, but I'd guess absolutely not. Use it tor lose it.

5. tougeznut

tougeznut Diabloii.Net Member

Yup, use it or lose it.

6. Wurmer

Wurmer Diabloii.Net Member

That's exactly what I was asking...

7. altermaven

altermaven Diabloii.Net Member

No, you get 3 chances regardless of moving on to the next rift level. So, you get 3 chances or a rift upgrade, then 4 upgrades later when you can't go to the next rift level, you have to upgrade gems -- you still get 3 chances.

IMO, if you're seeking upgrading a leg gem to rank unlock, keep in mind that it's better to upgrade your gem, but only if the gem rank is more than 4 below your current rift level completion, to ensure good odds.