legal drinking age

dirkdig

Diabloii.Net Member
legal drinking age

Is the 21 legal limit in America good? Is the freedom lost more important than the safety gained? International perspective welcome too :)

I always drank underage, but was responsible with it, so my perspective might be skewed.

mr hamster

Diabloii.Net Member
Yea but not everyone is responsible. 18 to me is probably way too young to be giving kids drugs, and considering how many accidents they cause on the roads, i just think safety is a bigger concern than freedom at this point...

diablo loves donutz

Diabloii.Net Member
Yes but you have to see the irony in that 18 is old enough to join the military, go to iraq, and risk your life for your country, yet it's too young to ask for a drink lol

P2blr

Diabloii.Net Member
In Canada, if you're on a military base, you can drink.
Reason being: if you're on a military base you are in the military (or a dignitary maybe?) and so as long as you're serving your country you can drink like a fish(on base).
At least, that's what I was told about it by a teacher who was in it many many years ago.

bg1256

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm not sure the drinking age really accomplishes all that much. People who want to drink will, regardless of age.

If anything, I think the drinking age actually has the reverse effect: it makes alcohol taboo, and actually makes teens want it more. IMHO, one way to limit irresponsible drinking would be to let younger people have alcohol, but teach them how to enjoy it responsibly while they're young.

Amra

Diabloii.Net Member
Didn't we just have a thread about this? :undecided:

Lioness had a good comment in that one if I remember (about not going into combat until one is 20 I think).

Cheesehed

Diabloii.Net Member
Kids that are going to drive drunk before the age of 21 are going to do it regardless of the drinking age, delinquents are delinquents. If i can get drafted and die in the name of america, then damnit let me drink a beer in the name of America

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Twenty-one is ridiculous. I have no idea what it is here since I don't drink, but it's 16 or 18 as I recall. If you're worried about the road toll then instead of letting them drive at 18 and drink at 21 you should let them drink at 18 (or better yet younger) and drive at 21. Let them learn to handle their alcohol before they get behind the wheel. When kids first reach legal age they immediately go nuts and drink irresponsibly, best to get that out of the way.

Beyond that it's the responsibility of the parents to make sure their kids are raised properly and don't do anything stupid with alcohol.

Yea but not everyone is responsible. 18 to me is probably way too young to be giving kids drugs, and considering how many accidents they cause on the roads, i just think safety is a bigger concern than freedom at this point...
If you want to wait until they're not stupid anymore, you should make the legal age 55 or something.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
Another option to consider is to repeal the law that requires military bases to adopt the same drinking age as the state in which they are located.

Yes but you have to see the irony in that 18 is old enough to join the military, go to iraq, and risk your life for your country, yet it's too young to ask for a drink lol
Bull**** point, laws are around to protect others from you not protect you from yourself. If you join the military you are only putting yourself(and the enemy) at risk. You drink and drive you put everyone at risk.

Changing the drinking age won't solve anything, just shift the death rates from one age group to another.

diablo loves donutz

Diabloii.Net Member
@kow-well what i meant to say was the draft, that isn't exactly "joining" as you can see. So why is it the government can in a way, force you to fight, while preventing you to drink?

@dondrei-yea its all about the parents, a balance is always best. They can't prevent their kids from drinking, but educating them responsibly is always best.

Verashiden

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah, but they pay to go to college, not high school : /

At any rate the age should be lowered. Using history Prohibition had the same effect. Everyone wanted to do it since the "Man" disallowed it. However, once it was lifted there was a drinking spree that eventually died down. If you lower the age then it'll cus that age group to mass dirnk for awhile. However, after that it won't be "fun" anymore.

Then again, this is America. Sometimes logic doesn't apply : /

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah, but they pay to go to college, not high school : /
I don't really see how that makes a difference. My point is that if people learn their limits before going to college, there will be fewer drinking problems and stuff. I think parents should be involved in kids learning about drinking, just like parents are involved in kids learning how to drive.

Verashiden

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't really see how that makes a difference. My point is that if people learn their limits before going to college, there will be fewer drinking problems and stuff. I think parents should be involved in kids learning about drinking, just like parents are involved in kids learning how to drive.
Well, because the College will get paid regardless of the grades. If you flunk then you wasted 600+ dollars. In high school there's not that grand of a consequence unless they're trying to get into a high level college. I honestly saw more people coming to class in high school toasted than I have in college thus far.

I agree about the parent involvement. However, I also have to relunctantly agree that 90% of parents are bad parents who don't know how to raise children. Putting the responsibility on the irresponsible makes me a tad uneasy :undecided:.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
I still don't understand the relationship between college tuition and drinking. And $600? What school is that and where do I sign up?